Canadian customs and duty charges

This is **bleep**. I will not be buying item from the US anymore. I thought Ebay was an entity unto it own. How can you allow this to happen ? Because our companies here can't compete because of taxes and greed, we as consumers suffer. I would like to buy North American but you are forcing me to shop else where.

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: Canadian customs and duty charges

@readyflake

This zombie thread will be closed soon.

Canadians are supposed to pay appropriate duty on any import valued over $20Cdn. (~$16USD).

Even if there is no duty, sales taxes are supposed to be levied.

For doing this, the shipper (USPS,CanadaPost, FedEx, GSP/Pitney Bowes) is allowed to levy a service fee.  The shipper decides how much that will be.

OK?  Keep that $20 in mind.

When an item is shipped through the postal system, it is assessed by CBSA.

But.

CBSA workers get a decent, union wage, plus benefits.

In a flash of common sense, these public servants decided 'the law is a nass' and basically pass on checking small, low value imports since it would cost the taxpayer more for the assessment than could possibly be collected.

There are pretty good reports that 93% of imports* valued under $100 are not assessed for duty.

And that has been your experience. Mine too.

But.

If an inexpensive import is part of that other 7%, duty will be assessed, sales taxes will be charged, and the importer/buyer will pay Canada Post $9.95 to collect those fees on his doorstep.

Spin the wheel.

But.

Couriers like UPS and GSP/Pitney Bowes don't have that luxury.

They MUST assess and charge duty and sales taxes.

They do this as a sub-contract from CBSA- it's called customs brokerage and anyone is allowed to do it.

It may be done at the border (a lot of UPS plants are out by the airport) or in-house (all GSP shipments are assessed in Kentucky).

Since they are doing the work, they can and do charge for it.

UPS charges $25 and up. GSP/PB charges ~$5USD. 

So if a US seller is paranoid about shipping outside the lower 48, he can use GSP.

All import fees will be collected by GSP/PB before the seller is told to ship.

Interestingly, once at the Canadian border, most GSP shipments are sub-contracted to Canada Post for delivery.

*Let's leave the Hold on low value Chinese imports out of this discussion, OK? It's pretty well over now anyway.

Message 41 of 42
latest reply

Re: Canadian customs and duty charges

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 42 of 42
latest reply