Cancel a purchase before estimated delivery without penalty?

Hello!

I recently made a purchase for a Motherboard. then noticed some issues.

the seller has a 15 day ship period listed AFTER payment is received. this is too long by 3x. there is no reasonable reason for a 15 day delay after payment is received, especially when paying additional for express shipping. 

Additionally, with all of the Coronavirus scare currently going on, and a variety of companies shutting down services to china, im beginning to have concerns that either my package will get stuck in shipping, or just won't be shipped.

as its a 300 dollar purchase, i don't want to have to wait until march 18th-25th for delivery to fail before putting in an item has not arrived message. it may be better for me to simply cancel now before shipping has occurred, but im concerned about cancellation fees.

is there anything i can do?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There are no cancellation fees however a seller is not obligated to cancel a sale. You can message the seller and ask if they will cancel the sale.   If they won't cancel or if they won't reply someone else may have a suggestion.  Although I can understand your concern, it  really is in your best interest to always look at the estimated delivery time and all other details before making the purchase.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

There are no cancellation fees however a seller is not obligated to cancel a sale. You can message the seller and ask if they will cancel the sale.   If they won't cancel or if they won't reply someone else may have a suggestion.  Although I can understand your concern, it  really is in your best interest to always look at the estimated delivery time and all other details before making the purchase.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Yeah, i should have looked. this is probably my third purchase ever though, so i just was completely unaware.

seller hasn't replied to my emails asking if they can get this shipped sooner than the 15 day mark due to concerns about shipping so far. if they do not reply, i guess i would have to wait for the estimated delivery date before i could cancel?
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Yes, to open an item not received claim on ebay you would have to wait until the day after the estimated delivery date.  If you receive the item and it is not as described, you can open a return request and the seller is required to pay for return shipping. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Possibly off -topic but:

and a variety of companies shutting down services to china,

Why would a company stop shipping TO China during the current crisis?  Because they believe shipping will be slowed due to low workforces and intermittent quarantines?

There are many who have decided not to buy FROM China, due to concerns about the viability of the virus on packages. Understandable if in my opinion overwrought.

There have been 2,595 deaths among 77,262 confirmed cases in China, which has a population of 1.3 BILLION people.

The USA this winter has had 26million cases of flu leading to some 25,000 deaths in a population of 327 million.

You are more likely to die after buying a hamburger from a fast food worker who can't afford to take time off when she is sick.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

the seller has a 15 day ship period listed AFTER payment is received. this is too long by 3x. there is no reasonable reason

That is a long "handling" period unless the motherboard is being custom made or modified for your needs.

i don't want to have to wait until march 18th-25th for delivery

Having been selling mail order for some 30+ years, I assume it will take three weeks (about 20 days) for delivery to or from anywhere in North America.

Usually I am pleasantly surprised.

You don't say where your seller is located.  I allow 30 days for shipping from overseas.

If he is in China, between the Lunar New Year annual slowdown and the Covid-19 quarantines, 30 days from ordering and even 15 days for handling/packaging/processing seems reasonable.

Better to expect delivery on March 25 and have it arrive on March 15, than to expect March 15 and receive on March 25. 

Also, Paypal has a Resolution Centre and might be helpful if the motherboard has not yet shipped.  But opening a PP Dispute means giving up on an eBay dispute, although not vice versa.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

dude. I bought something FROM china. I'm not concerned about the viability of the dormant virus on a package. I'm concerned shipping companies are no longer going to pick up from china until this thing blows over.

stop trying to make a simple question political or whatever.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply