Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

I finally got my DVD. I would still avoid GSP if possible on future purchases as I see no benefit from it.
Here's a summary of the tracking info. As you can see that package still moves through USPS and CanadaPost as it would in regular mail even without PB involvement. Combined, the post offices take 5days which is reasonable for ground transport. Customs was probably only 1 day. There were no customs documents or declarations on the envelope (ie. GST registration, Duty paid, etc) so I don't know what value PB added here. It seems PB just delayed the package by at least 1week, increased the cost ($23.17 for a DVD no case), and degraded tracking usefullness by delaying updates from the post offices on avg 2 days (w.r.t post office available times), and introduces an iniitial black out period unitl it leaves PBs facility.
Nov-23-14 - Canada Post - Delivered
Nov-22-14 - Handed to Canada Post
Nov-20-14 - Shipping Center to International Destination
Nov-19-14 - Customs Documentation and Labeling
Nov-18-14 - Arrived at USPS Facility
Nov-17-14 - Forwarded by PB to USPS
Nov-08-14 - start time, there's no PB tracking when the sender ships to PitneyBowes
Note : a PB tracking update usually appears 2 days after the dates listed above
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
@donvker wrote:

It's now 10 days after the seller shipped the item, and GSP provides its first tracking update (location and time stamp).

The package has been moved 1/2 way across the US in 10 days. Unfortunately it's still in the US. This speed is comparable to the Pony Express. In 35yrs of buying items from the US this is by far the worst, and by a hefty margin too. Is GSP a storage company?

The real test will be GSP crossing the great lakes. I've got a towel ready.....

@donvker wrote:

GSP is a farce.

There is no meaningfull tracking provided. No location, no carrier, no time stamps, and therefore no tracking. I am paying for a placebo.

In the future whenever I see GSP, I will also avoid like the plague. They are completely ineffective, by reducing the visibility, increasing cost and increasing delivery time.

GSP means fewer sales.

Message 4181 of 6,171
latest reply

It appears to me, that this may be a  goverment initiated demand to Ebay, to address a problem at the source.
You have Ebay conducting a business that encourages imports/exports without having a declaration or taxation process.  Even worse for governments, is Ebay encouraging many tax "leaks" and enabling individuals to send package volumns that will overwhelm customs with incorrect or no documentation. Even if import duties are disappearing in the "free trade" world, there are still import restrictions and taxes to be collected.
I agree, no one would "request" this, just like no one requested income tax, sales tax, probate tax, property tax, gains tax, etc. The whole thing is too convoluted to be a called a service as it provides no benefit to seller or buyer. It's unclear as to whether Ebay is getting any trailer fees from PB for this arrangement. It's also unlcear how the total PB charge is constructed so we don't know what the components costs (handing charge, shipping. taxes, duties, trailer fees, etc). Like a good magician, he waves his hands to distract you, as the magic unfolds.

@mater721 wrote:

"My question here is - who asked for this program?"

It was either some US sellers who were leery about selling out of country (GSP simplifies it for them) or at ebays initiative to get more sellers selling out of country.

Or more likely... both of above.

Message 4182 of 6,171
latest reply

I finally got my DVD. I would still avoid GSP if possible on future purchases as I see no benefit from it.

It should be impossible to list low value items using it.

It isn't.

Message 4183 of 6,171
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

It should be impossible to list low value items using it.

It isn't.

Yes, and some GSP sellers, with low value items, enrolled by default.

Message 4184 of 6,171
latest reply

"some GSP sellers, with low value items, enrolled by default."

That is true but there is nothing preventing them to opt out of the program - either totally or by country.

The simple reality here is that many American sellers do not really care.  It is easy for them to use GSP.  They ship domestically.  They do not have to worry about shipping charge outside the country or Customs labels.  Plus, bonus, they are protected by eBay against low DSRs in many instances. 

The fact that it may cost more money to buyers and shipments take a bit longer... oh well... many see that it is not the seller's problem!  GSP is just too darn easy!

Message 4185 of 6,171
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

That is true but there is nothing preventing them to opt out of the program - either totally or by country.

The simple reality here is that many American sellers do not really care.  It is easy for them to use GSP.  They ship domestically.  They do not have to worry about shipping charge outside the country or Customs labels.  Plus, bonus, they are protected by eBay against low DSRs in many instances. 

The fact that it may cost more money to buyers and shipments take a bit longer... oh well... many see that it is not the seller's problem!  GSP is just too darn easy!

Which is why if GSP was available for sellers in Canada, many Canadian sellers would use GSP. More sales at minimum risk. I know I would use it for items that are heavier and or higher priced.

The Canadian seller would have to ship Expedited Parcel with Delivery Confirmation to a Toronto GSP center (I assume it would be there). The Canadian seller would have all the protection of shipping domestically, low cost ($10-20 to Toronto), some DSR protection, return protection (no returns for damaged items, no lost items real or false).

For buyers, the cost of shipping might be lower than the seller using Tracked Packet with limited countries supported at $41 to $63 for Europe, $45 to $72 for Australia for delivery confirmation.

I think GSP would be a good fit for Canadian sellers with more expensive items and especially for items over 1 kilo in weight.

All because Canada Post has very expensive rates for International shipping with delivery confirmation.

I know you can buy insurance for Small Packet International for some protection but the countries and the types of items are limited.

GSP may be bad for buyers in Canada but I think it would be good for Canadian sellers if used properly.

Message 4186 of 6,171
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Yes, if they realize they are enrolled in the program and no bids or offers have been placed on the item, they can opt out which may take up to 72 hours to process

Message 4187 of 6,171
latest reply

The "Import Charge" feature is a total rip off and a money grab.  It is not needed by likely as much as 95% of ebay buyers.  It only serves to line the pockets of companies like Pitney Bowes and likely ebay too, as they likely get something out of it too.  There appears to be no way to opt out of it,  at the most, it should be an option only and not a mandatory charge.  It is a rip off, plane and simple.  I suggest ebay buyers boycott all sellers who use this option.

Message 4188 of 6,171
latest reply

This feature in my eyes is a total rip off.  I suggest all ebah buyers boycott all sellers who use this feature.  I will be from now on.

Message 4189 of 6,171
latest reply

• I agree.  I am suggesting a boycott of all sellers who use this feature.  It is a total rip off and money grab.  It is not needed and there is no way to opt out if you are a buyer and bid on an item and do not notice that the seller has this feature noted.  They might not realize that the buyer is being ripped off.  But if everyone stops buying from these sellers, and tells them why, perhaps they will stop it.  At least we can hope!
Message 4190 of 6,171
latest reply

I agree 100%.  I am suggesting a boycott of all sellers who use this feature.

Message 4191 of 6,171
latest reply

I Agree. It is a total rip off and a money grab. I suggest a boycott of all sellers using it.
Message 4192 of 6,171
latest reply

I would never buy from you if you use this feature. It is usless, gives no benefit and is a money grab of the highest order
Message 4193 of 6,171
latest reply

I think a total boycott of any seller using this rip off program is needed.  Unless the seller will ship direct to you the buyer, without this money making (for Pitney Bowes) feature, I suggest all Canadians boycott the seller and also have the courtesy to tell the buyer why you will not buy from them.  When enough sellers are told that they are losing sales because of this, perhaps they will put an end to it.

Message 4194 of 6,171
latest reply

I agree 100%

Message 4195 of 6,171
latest reply

Well i am happy to have founds this discussion. I found myself wondering today if a lot of people shared my concerns about the global shipping program.  For me its plain simple, it has completely ruined my shopping experience to the point that I will no longer by from us buyers.

The program has resulted in slower shipping, higher rates and additional import charges.

Message 4196 of 6,171
latest reply

For anyone who is interested, the Weekly Chat on the UK boards was about the GSP. Kudos to AF, in particular, for asking some really good questions which needed to be asked.

http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Community-Board-Chats/26-November-Global-Shipping-Programme/td-p/4018...

Message 4197 of 6,171
latest reply

id1ots not even the sellers know about the global shipping program and they ask me why they have to send an item to kentucky instead of directly to me to portugal? Stup1d move eBay...

Message 4198 of 6,171
latest reply

You make these comments when you have no idea as to what your talking about. I collect Hot Wheels the high end one $200.00 & $300.00 one the reason they are so expensive is that they are 1 of 1 1 of 5 so you don't get a second chance to buy another one 1 of 1. you clearly have eBay running through your blood perhaps an employee I don't know nor do I care. I have unsubscribed form these emails for the second time. I thought once would be enough but apparently not. It's a scam it only took me 11 years & about $50,000 later to figure that out.  

Message 4199 of 6,171
latest reply

It may be true that 'many American sellers just don't care'. Since the U.S. was the first victim I wonder what American sellers will think when the try to buy something from eBay.co.uk now that it's there.

I can hear the crying already! 

Message 4200 of 6,171
latest reply