Concerns About Ebay's Global Shipping Program.

hi, i just purchased a motorola v120 phone that is still sealed and has been since 2003. when i went so check out i found out that it was being shipped through ebay's global shipping center. i am worried that the package might be opened as i have heard from others that their items were straight gone, parts were missing, or just packaging was gone. the reason i am worried is because i am buying it for the purpose of a collection and would not like packaging tampered with or opened. when it arrives if the packaging is opened what can i do in terms of making sure the packaging is not open. the packaging is clear they should not open it as they can see what is inside. any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

marnotom!
Community Member

I've ordered a few smartphones that were forwarded through the Global Shipping Program.  They weren't New In Box, but I'm pretty sure that at least one of them had its original box with it.  While they did arrive with tape with the message "resealed at the Global Shipping Center" on them, it didn't look as though the actual packaging job had been messed with.

Items are physically inspected at the Global Shipping Center to verify that the item matches the listing and/or to ascertain the item's country of origin/manufacturer for duty calculating purposes.  Mobile phones aren't subject to duty, so if a Global Shipping Center who knows a bit about what they're doing ends up handling your item, they may leave the whole shebang alone, particularly in COVID times.  I bought a brand new musical instrument in May of last year that was forwarded through the GSP and it looks as though it was left alone.  Also consider that if your seller provided the phone's country of origin/manufacturer in the "item specifics" section of the listing, the Global Shipping Center employees won't have to look for it.

I don't think you have too much to worry about, frankly.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

You are only hearing the problems, including people who are blaming the GSP for USPS and Canada Post delays, for sellers who ship directly, for CBSA checks, for the lack of trucks and planes to transport purchases from the USA to Canada, for widely used spoke and hub distribution, and for sellers who do not give enough information for the plant workers to pre-clear customs.

While it is true that SOME packages are examined at the Erlanger plant, considering the volume of goods passing through, the actual number is low and the percentage lower.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

When the program was first implemented, I received a few items with the sticker saying it was opened at the Kentucky plant. But it has been a while since I received one where it was obvious the original package was opened. So I don't think you should worry about this.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Not receive solenoid order number 02-06354-23033
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@leonpiton 

This is a member to member Board, but given the lack of information, I'll try to help.

EBay gave you a window for delivery.

Has the last estimated date for delivery passed?

If not, mark that date on your calendar and don't worry.

If it has, go to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page and open a Not Received Dispute.

State in the text box that the item was shipped through the Global Shipping Program.

• NOTE: The seller is not involved after the item is accepted in ErlangerKY which is the GSP plant.

If the GSP cannot prove delivery, you will be refunded.

If the item shows up later, the GSP does not want it back. Do with it what you will.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

I would think that IF it is opened that would only be the shipping box to verify that the phone in the box is there.  I do not see a reason they would open the phone box.   

Message 7 of 7
latest reply