Credit card declining

moanmeye0
Community Member

My credit card isn't working on ebay right now. I have exactly the right amount of money on my card and I saw no problems with it on my bank's end. I found this:

eBay will verify your account by placing a temporary $1.00 hold on the card. This is a common way of making sure a card is active. If you don't have at least $1.00 available on the card, it will be declined. This charge is a temporary hold and it will be released soon. It is up to the issuer of your card to release the hold.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/credit-card-problems.html

Does this mean that I need $1 more than my purchase amount ($3.64) on my credit card for it to work? Or should the $1 hold be removed before the $3.64 payment goes through?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Credit card declining

@moanmeye0 wrote:

My credit card isn't working on ebay right now. I have exactly the right amount of money on my card and I saw no problems with it on my bank's end.

Does this mean that I need $1 more than my purchase amount ($3.64) on my credit card for it to work? Or should the $1 hold be removed before the $3.64 payment goes through?

Have you tried to pay for your $3.64 item and it was declined?  

Better yet, have you called your card company using the 1-800 Customer Service number to hear automated details of your statement?  If you owe, the balance changes every day.  You might not have $3.64 any more.  Call to find out exactly how much is on it or maybe make a payment to bring it down a little.  

If you have a PayPal account you should be able to pay by e-check if you have any money in your bank account.  The seller can't mail the item until the payment clears, but that's another way to buy.  

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Credit card declining

If you only have $3.64 credit available on your card, this is probably not the time to be doing any buying.

And remember that online shopping may not originate in Canadian dollars, so that $3.64 could really be more or less in the currency the seller listed in.

Foreign exchange rates change constantly, although the 'retail' exchange for most banks and credit unions is massaged to allow for only daily changes.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Credit card declining

Yes, I tried to pay for my $3.64 item and it was declined. I got in touch with my bank and they said there are no blocks or holds on my credit card. It is a prepaid credit card, so I do not owe any money on it. I have tried using paypal too, but that didn't work either (with the same card details given to paypal)

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Credit card declining

I have USD on my credit card, which is what ebay says it is charging me in. Is this not correct? Is there a second exchange rate to the seller's currency that is hidden in my transaction?

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Credit card declining

moanmeye0
Community Member

Well, I now have US$8 on my card and my transaction still won't go through, so the $1 hold was definitely not the issue. But my bank still insists that the card is fine.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply