Customs

kca7157
Community Member

Greetings,

I made a purchase last month on the 12th. The product is being handled by Fedex.

The seller has just recently messaged me that my item had been stuck in the Canadian customs and I had "requested" for self clear, in which I did not.

The product had arrived at Fedex  on January 24, in which I had no notifications about from Fedex or from seller.

I've messaged and called Fedex for updates on the self clear, in which I have yet to receive documents for self clear or at least an email as to what to do next.

What are my options here? Will there be a storage fee? Am I able to refuse and return to sender? I've never self-cleared before and even if I had, should I not have a notification at least that my package had arrived to a facility in which I may clear it at least?

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Customs

FedEx? Call them and speak to a Customer Service rep. What exactly does your tracking say about this?
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Customs

FedEx customs brokerage fees are, like most couriers, very high, starting around $25. Then you add in the actual duty and Sales Taxes which go to the government. So self-clearance which saves that $25 + can be worthwhile.
You have to pay the Sales Tax in any case, even if there is no duty.

Even so, the costs to self clear may also be high if you are working and earning more than minimum wage. I would suggest if you have been calling a central (1-800 type) number, that you instead find the FedEx offices in your city and phone there.

Offices for couriers are often in cheap suburban industrial parks or out near the airport.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply