Debate on Renturning a Purchase - Innacurate Description

Hey all,

I have never really had an issue like this so any feedback would help.

I recently bought an item, a collectible figure, and although the main description was marked "Used" (originally marked "New" by user error), in the description it was marked as a "like new" item.

Once I received and opened the item, I found that none of the pieces were wrapped in the protective plastic bags, and there was 2 pieces with slight damage signs. One was the operation manual, which although has no real purpose, still being bent does not make it "like new". The other item that was damaged was the display stand, it has a gouge out of it.

So upon reaching out to try to figure this out on what to do, the seller has not been helpful, and worse not very nice. They are claiming (which I believe could be true) that they just "missed" the damage on it, citing they were the second owner.

I did try to negotiate that even though it was their error, I would cover half the return shipping as a sort of unnecessary compromise on my end. Flat out said they don't do returns, in particular international, then said to go ahead file if I want, "no one will be satisfied if I do". And explained that if I am unhappy to try to sell it instead.

My issue with this is that if I resell it, I am liable for all Ebay's fees and such, as well as more importantly I cannot sell it as the original listed condition.

Does anyone have a suggested course of action? I feel like it's kinda not okay to just say they "missed" the damage? That's part of the job of a seller, to look over the product and back it up 100%? I felt it was very unacceptable to just tell me to resell it on my own dime.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Debate on Renturning a Purchase - Innacurate Description

Open a Not as Described and return it.

RETURN IT,  is my advise. If Shipping was free Seller pays the return you have to pay the return if you paid for shipping.

Do not talk anymore now due to the what you claimed has happened already, just open the case and return it.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Since item was not as described, you should open a return request in the resolution center. When you choose a reason such as damaged, ebay will require you the seller to pay for return shipping. If this is an international return you should go to the Canada Post site to figure out what a return label with delivery confirmation would cost. If it is to the US and the package is under 2kg, you could use tracked packet.  Let the seller know how much the shipping will be.  They may choose to refund without a return or send you the money through Paypal.

A no return policy means that they do not accept returns for a buyer's remorse returns.  The ebay money back guarantee does require them to return and/or refund when the item was not described correctly.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@piperscorner1924 wrote:

Open a Not as Described and return it.

RETURN IT,  is my advise. If Shipping was free Seller pays the return you have to pay the return if you paid for shipping.

Do not talk anymore now due to the what you claimed has happened already, just open the case and return it.

Your info isn't totally correct.  Sellers are always required to pay for return shipping when the item is not as described.  

If the return is because the buyer changed their mind etc. and the seller's return policy is that buyer pays for returns them the buyer pays.  When the seller refunds a buyer's remorse return, they can withhold the 'original' shipping paid by the buyer.  If the original shipping was free, they cannot withhold the original shipping.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

"eBay Money Back Guarantee means you're protected if the item you ordered didn't arrive, is faulty or damaged, or doesn't match the listing. You'll get your money back.

You can return it even if the seller's returns policy says they don't accept returns".

You seem to be a very considerate and nice person, and very forgiving.

But...

"just "missed" the damage" is solely the seller's liability.

You are not happy because the item is not as described.

Consensus, including mine,  is that you return the item.

As pjcdn has said, this seller is responsible for the cost of return shipping.

When you open the Item not as described claim, eBay will require the seller to send a return tracked shipping label.

The seller has 3 business days to get back to you.
When the seller accepts your return, you'll need to send it back within 5 business days, using tracked shipping.
Adding tracking details to your return helps protect against delays or issues in the refund process.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/buying/returns-refunds/return-item-refund?id=4041&st=12&pos=1&query=Return%...

https://www.ebay.ca/help/buying/returns-refunds/start-return/return-postage?id=4066&st=12&pos=4&quer...

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

At\lthough I am primarily a seller, I have to ask if you will feel unhappy every time you look at your purchase?

If you do return it for a refund.

If you agree with the seller about the extent of the damage/wear, use Buyer Remorse and pay for return shipping.

If you believe he was much too optimistic in his description (interesting about the change from New to Like New-- when was that changed?)  the go for Not As Described and ask for Return Shipping.

If when you look at it it makes you happy just to have it, or because you got such a deal on a hard to find collectible, accept that nothing is perfect and move on.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

"If when you look at it it makes you happy just to have it"

The buyer is clearly unhappy.

"accept that nothing is perfect and move on"?

The seller didn't show the damage in the posted images or mention it in the listing anywhere.

Why would you even suggest the possibility of "use Buyer Remorse and pay for return shipping"?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Sometimes my answers are both for the Original Poster and also for some future viewer who has a similar question.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply