Delivering To Wrong Address?

ca.jo93
Community Member

Hi, everybody.

I am a Canadian citizen from Ottawa (the capital of Canada) and 2 days ago, I just ordered the Schuco "MiJo" 1/64 BMW Isetta from California and I found out yesterday that the tracking says "Out For Delivery, Expected Delivery by 8:00 PM" in Redondo Beach, California and that caused me to constantly worry about it for almost a day, thinking it may be delivered to a wrong address despite my correct (Canadian) shipping address.

It's my first time I ever purchased anything from California and I must have misinterpreted "Out For Delivery" as something else negative.

I am thinking it may go to somewhere in California for processing for shipping to Canada.

Is this how eBay international shipping works or is it something to worry about?

Is it just me or does anybody from outside the U.S. have experienced this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

This is very common. Your seller is probably using a freight forwarder or consolidator, which means the item is first delivered to them then forwarded on to you. I have experienced this several times with California-based sellers and each time the item first went to an address in Redondo Beach before being dispatched to Canada. Hope this helps!

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Thank you very much for your kind answer. 🙂
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It's not all good.

The purchase will get to you just fine, but do note the window for delivery eBay gave you.

The problem is that if shipping is done to a freight forwarder like the Global Shipping Program or eBay's recent International Shipping (not sure of the exact name, it's that new) your Buyer Protection under the Money Back Guarantee is severely restricted.

Which makes shipping to a freight forward wonderful Seller Protection.

You are also covered by Paypal's Buyer Protection and by the chargeback policy of the credit card you have attached to your PP account, so it's not a huge problem.

And 99% of transactions go just fine.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

So, is any action required to be taken or there's nothing to worry about but wait patiently until I receive an item?

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

No action is required (or even possible until after the eBay delivery window passes). However I wouldn't worry as you will most likely receive your item before then. As mentioned previously, I have purchased many items sent this way and all have made it safely to Canada (albeit a little slower than regular USPS 1st Class International).
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

It was shipped using tracking.

The tracking shows it is moving.

If it doesn't turn up, you have three layers of Buyer Protection.

Relax.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

The problem is that if shipping is done to a freight forwarder like the Global Shipping Program or eBay's recent International Shipping (not sure of the exact name, it's that new) your Buyer Protection under the Money Back Guarantee is severely restricted.

Which makes shipping to a freight forward wonderful Seller Protection.

I think you're referring to situations where the buyer has elected to have their item sent to a freight forwarder to be sent to the buyer upon receipt.  In these cases, it will be the address of the forwarding agent that will be on the eBay transaction details page and the seller is only responsible to ensure it arrives at that address.

In the case where the seller is using a mail consolidator or similar agent--other than the Global Shipping Program or eBay International Standard Delivery--it will be the buyer's address that will appear on the eBay transaction details page and the seller is still responsible for ensuring that the item reaches that address, with the exceptions noted.  In the case of those exceptions, however, the buyer can still avail themselves of the Money Back Guarantee.

If you've found something on the .com boards that contradicts this information, feel free to pass along a link.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@ca.jo93 wrote:

So, is any action required to be taken or there's nothing to worry about but wait patiently until I receive an item?

Tracking's usefulness to buyers has been greatly hyped-up.  There's very little buyers can actually do with it.  What's more important is whether or not you receive your item, and most people don't need tracking to prove that.  😁

Message 9 of 9
latest reply