Detailed charges reciept?

ma550910
Community Member
I'm new to Ebay, more or less. After making a few purchases today, I noticed my statement was much higher than expected. I made 3 purchases in amounts of $55.94 $33.92, and $64.24(from my Ebay emailed reciepts). My bank statement totals 5 charges, amounting in $205.43 total.

Where are these fees from? Are these import fees or Ebay fee? Why isn't that included on my Ebay reciept? Is there a way to get a full breakdown of the charges included, or do I just accept them? I know I'm missing something here, probably simple.

Thank you.
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

If you were buying from a seller who was listing on eBaydotCOM, he was listing in US dollars.

If he ships to Canada, his listings will show on eBaydotCA.

While you would see dotCA listings in both currencies, you will be charged in the currency of the original listing.

But you will pay foreign exchange on the transaction.

On some transactions you may also pay shipping as a separate line item*.

If the seller uses the Global Shipping Program, which is a seller protection program and of little value to the buyer, you also paid Canadian duty and sales taxes.  If you are in AB, that would account for the difference.

*Many sellers offer Free Shipping. This just means their cost for shipping is part of the selling price.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@ma550910 

Hello tyler@ebay 

Maybe you can address this concern please.

"Where are these fees from? Are these import fees or Ebay fee? Why isn't that included on my Ebay reciept? Is there a way to get a full breakdown of the charges included, or do I just accept them? I know I'm missing something here, probably simple."

-Lotz

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Hi @ma550910 - I recommend checking your Order Details on each order to see a breakdown of the charges involved. 

If you need assistance with that you're also welcome to contact Customer Support by phone or social media (Facebook or Twitter) and they'll be happy to help!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Hi,

I've gone through the details, but in no way does it tell me how I went from paying $40.00 on ebay, to getting two charges on my bank statement for $63.52, and $27.93. My purchase has now more then doubled. Order details only say I paid $40.00.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Is that US$40 you paid or CDN$40?

And are both charges on your bank statement attributed to eBay, or does one also mention “Pitney Bowes” or “Global Ship” or some other term to distinguish it from the other charge?

Finally, were you using PayPal to facilitate your payments? If so, you should also be reviewing these sales on the PayPal website.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

It was US dollars, so the funds were changed to $53.04 CAN. The second charge was Ebay global something yes. And I paid through my bank card.

I can't see where they add the taxes/fees, at what rate I'm being charged, or even the full amount I am going to be charged. It just goes from one amount to another, without telling me how.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

The Global Shipping Program is a freight forwarder and a Seller Protection program.

US (and UK) sellers who opt in, ship only to a domestic address (for the USA it's Erlanger KY).

You paid Canadian Sales Taxes and any applicable Canadian duty* if the value of the import is $20Cdn (~$15US) or more plus a ~$5 service charge.

I can't see where they add the taxes/fees, at what rate I'm being charged, or even the full amount I am going to be charged.

That was on your invoice before you paid.

There would be a shipping charge from your seller to Erlanger/GSP.

Then there is an "import fee" which covers the duty, sales tax and service fee. GSP pays that out of the Import Fee.  Technically you don't pay it, GSP does and they are the importer of record.

And that last is why GSP is not supposed to be used by businesses. A business would need that broken down for their own GSP/PST/HST remittances, but a private person doesn't. **

If you look at the invoice, you should be able to see the breakdown, but GSP /eBay does sometimes lump the seller's shipping price in with the GSP import fees. Which is annoying because it seems random which way it happens.

*Thinking about NAFTA?  The duty is based on where the item was manufactured, not where it is purchased.
** She may want it, but she doesn't need it. The Rolling Stones had a song about that.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

It’s still a bit murky to me, but it sounds as though your bank statements are similar to one of my bank credit card statements, in that if I purchase something in a currency other than Canadian dollars, only the converted amount shows up on my credit card statement, not the amount expressed in the original currency. If my guess is accurate, your financial institution is making you pay through the nose to convert currencies when you pay with your bank card. The C$53 you see in your eBay statement is an approximation based on currency market exchange rates, not bank exchange rates.

As for that second charge, it appears that you purchased an item that was forwarded through eBay and Pitney Bowes’ Global Shipping Program. The seller shipped the item to a warehouse in Kentucky and shippers contracted with the GSP took over from there. The taxes, duties (if applicable) and customs-related charges Pitney Bowes paid on your behalf PLUS the GSP’s shipping charge make up that second charge you see on your bank statement. (This is a slight oversimplification but close enough for the purposes of this thread.)

By the way, are you using your phone to make your eBay purchases? The GSP charges are generally pretty obvious when you use an old skewl desktop/laptop/notebook computer for shopping on eBay, but a sharp eye familiar with eBay’s workings may be necessary if you use a phone or tablet.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply