Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Did anyone notice best offer? Another global shipping scam

The Global Shipping Program is too high. It is ruining my ebay experience. If a buyer opts not to have tracking etc -- why is there very little shipping choices available now on most transactions especially small dollar value items! Anything under $50 should be subject to choice. I can't shop anymore on ebay -- I see an item for $10 for instance and the shipping to Canada is $25.00 or so -- just ridiculous. First Class International rates are much better and I used it on ebay for years! Very disappointed.

Message 3841 of 6,171
latest reply

Totally agree! My ebay experience is ruined!
Message 3842 of 6,171
latest reply

I agree with you. I am also Canadian and hate ebay using the GSP. They overcharge on everything! They should at least give us a choice as to whether or not we want to use the GSP or USPS.

Message 3843 of 6,171
latest reply

How can we get ebay sellers to opt out of this GSP?
Don't buy from them and tell them why .
Message 3844 of 6,171
latest reply

GSP is not suitable for most transactions by most Canadian buyers.

If you wish to purchase an item from an American seller offering GSP but do not want to use GSP, simply write to the seller and ask if he is willing to relist the item without GSP or exempt Canada from GSP.

Do NOT buy or bid until the listing clearly has been revised to allow a purchase without GSP.  It cannot be changed after the fact.

Message 3845 of 6,171
latest reply

I totally agree!  As a Canadian buyer, I have to bypass many auctions because Global shipping is the only choice.  A $20 item in one auction would cost over 50$ to ship if the bids do not go up on that particular item.  The GSP. is so very inconsistent in every listing that offers it and unfortunately the seller does not see this.  I have emailed sellers asking and letting them know what the cost is for shipping their item and they have no idea of how ridiculous it is.  Fortunately, some of them are very accomodating and invoice me at the end of the auction.  

One thing to remember, when a seller uses the option of the Global shipping program, there is no way they can combine shipping for a buyer if more than one item is bid/won on from their auctions.  There is no guide line as to how it is charged as those of us who have bought on ebay using it can tell you.  Items under $20 Canadian are not subject to customs/duty and yet we are paying import charges when GSP is the shipping method used.

Sellers in the USA. need to be made aware of how high and inconsistent the shipping charges can be when they opt for using the GSP in selling on ebay.  It has ruined the buying experience for many of us.

Message 3846 of 6,171
latest reply

I had a very nice US seller switch their listing for me tonight. I thought the $25 GSP fee was too high for a latch hook rug kit with an opening bid of under $10. Well blow me down, now their USPS charge is $30! Whoops. I'll figure this thing out eventually, lol. There must be some items that it works better for: like inexpensive, big bulky unbreakables? 

Message 3847 of 6,171
latest reply

Yes, it can work better for larger items and for expensive items.

If that kit is less than 4 lbs the seller should be able to ship it First Class International which now has delivery confirmation although some sellers still prefer to use Priority. But even first class can be a bit expensive for heavier items. It looks like a 4lb item would cost about $25 to ship.

Message 3848 of 6,171
latest reply

You can ask the seller BEFORE BIDDING if she will invoice you on winning for First Class International Shipping from USPS and not to use the Global Shipping Program.

Let her know that the FCI is Delivery Confirmed and carries up to four pounds of merchandise.

If the item you are bidding on is valued over $20 CDN (about $18 US) you may be charged duty and sales tax as well as a $9.95 service fee from Canada Post. However, unless the item is very bulky or valued over $100 this is unlikely, since Canada Post and CBSA seem to have decided it is wasteful to spend more to collect the applicable duty and tax than would be collected.

Never put down to fraud what can be explained by stupidity. The program was designed to encourage US sellers to sell internationally, by allowing their responsibility for shipping to end when their Delivery Confirmed parcel arrived at the GSP plant in Kentucky.

However two things happened.

First eBay automatically signed up new sellers, who had no experience of selling at all never mind internationally, and who did not know they were involved in the program.

Then many of the sellers never read the instructions and used the program for items selling well under the $50 minimum eBay recommended by used.

Result; anger and chaos.

But not fraud.

Message 3849 of 6,171
latest reply

What a joke. I find an item i like the global shipping has the shipping as $26 from Oregon to BC yet the exact same item is only $18 from Florida which is on the complete opposite coast? Yea that makes sense. But whatever so i put in a best offer and it shows the shipping has now gone up to $30 for the same item? **bleep**? Seller sends a counter offer and it shows est shipping as $10? So i send another counter offer that wont show an est shipping but gets accepted. I go to "items won" under My Ebay and it shows the item and a shipping cost of $15 so i think fine ill settle for that but now i go to pay and they're trying to charge me $30? No bloody way.

Message 3850 of 6,171
latest reply

Good Morning to All the Fantastic Members of the eBay Community!

Import fees. From a US seller to a Canadian buyer, for instance,

arbitrary to say the least.  Improperly described and illogical. Government-style

taxation, inexplicable and ludicrous. Unethical.

To begin with, charging arbitrary amounts on used inventory, items

under $100, used comics, used kids clothing, and even pricier items,

say a winter hat that is (including shipping) $50, now add $20 for

no good reason, all is counter-intuitive and unexplainable.

Buyers beware of eBay import charges, steer clear of sellers charging

more in import charges than the cost of the product. Make a point of

complaining to eBay about this in any conversation you have with them.

And eBay beware too, you have become too legislative, too legalese and 

now you have become a government. 

This is not up for debate, and please comment, citing your experiences, perhaps eBay

personnel will take notice.

Message 3851 of 6,171
latest reply

The Global Shipping Program (GSP) is not suitable for most transactions by most Canadian buyers.

American sellers have been advised to use it for items averaging more than $50 value.  However, most listings offering GSP are well below $50 making the transaction way too expensive to make sense.

The "import charge" does not go to the seller.  It is paid to PayPal and goes to Pitney Bowes who consolidates shipments from American sellers at the Kentucky Distribution Centre and distributes the parcels to several countries around the world. No tax or duty is collected at time of delivery.

Prepayment of taxes is nothing new.  Many large American mail order businesses do it (LL Bean being the most popular).  However, the GSP offered by eBay is badly flawed when it comes to relatively small value transactions.

PS - By the way, Canadian taxes (GST/HST) apply equally whether the goods purchased are new or used.

Message 3852 of 6,171
latest reply

"This is not up for debate"

You are correct.  The program is not up for debate.  eBay is expanding it to more countries and finds it profitable for sellers.

Canadian buyers can scream as long as we want, eBay will not cancel the program.

Best to simply avoid listings by American sellers offering GSP.

Message 3853 of 6,171
latest reply

Did you notice that when you put a best offer in the lower your offer is the more the GSP charges for shipping? I went on a listing that had a shipping price of $25 i put in a best offer that wouldnt show est shipping and when it was accepted the shipping is now $30? And the exact same item is in another listing with shipping at $18 and its located on the other side of the country?
What a scam, if you ship privately you can't just accept an offer and then send a bill saying oh yea i accepted your lower offer but im charging more for shipping? What a joke.
Message 3854 of 6,171
latest reply

The program is a complete scam. Its not just the made up import fees its also the shipping. They increase the shipping amount if you have a best offer accepted. Ie, i looked at a listing for $19.99 and the shipping was listed as $26 i put in a best offer for $12.50 that was accepted, go to pay and shipping is now $30? Also the exact same item that is listed at $39.99 has shipping at $18 and its located on the other side of the country?
Complete scam, if i list an item to be privately shipped i can't accept a lower offer and then say oh by the way i'll take your offer but i'm jacking up the shipping price. Cmon what a joke.
Message 3855 of 6,171
latest reply

What you have experienced is an example of why GSP is not means for low priced items.

I will try to explain but please bear with me.

For items priced over Cdn$ 20.00 (appx US$18.00) you will find two charges in addition to the price of the item:

1 - shipping charge (includes both the shipping from the seller to the distribution centre in KY and the shipping from KY to your door)

2 - "import charge" (includes both taxes (GST/HST/PST and a service charge by Pitney Bowes (about $4/$5) to handle the shipment.

For items prices at less than Cdn$ 20.00 (appx US$18.00) you will find only one charge in addition to the price of the item:

1 - shipping charge (includes both the shipping from the seller to the distribution centre in KY and the shipping from KY to your door AND the Pitney Bowes service charge to handle the shipment (about $4/$5)

So, when you first looked at the item, there was a "import charge".  By the time the seller accepted a lower price (below Cdn$ 20) the "import charge went away.

However, as you  can see from the example above, the "shipping" charge was automatically increased by the service charged going to Pitney Bowes to handle the shipment.  That extra "shipping charge" did not go to the seller.  Do not blame him.

Overall, what you have paid as "shipping charge" is LESS than what the original listing wanted when combining both "shipping charge" and "import charge".

As stated so many times in the last two years since the program was implemented, Canadians should NOT use it for low value transactions.  It is best to ask of the seller is willing to relist the item to ship directly without using GSP.

Message 3856 of 6,171
latest reply

Yes, i understand the gist of it but this is supposed to be a binding contract, the best offer i accepted did not say shipping was $30 and theres no way to see it until you try to pay. Like i said if i ship privately i cant just up my shipping because i accepted a lower offer.
I have screen shots that show when i first accepted the offer it shows up under "purchases" in "my ebay" as shipping as $15 now it shows up as free shipping. Complete BS.
Message 3857 of 6,171
latest reply

I live in Canada.  GSP should be banned immediately.  First, the seller has to pay shipping to get item to Pitney Bowes.  Then, the buyer must pay an unreasonable shipping charge plus a ridiculously inflated customs fee.  Most U.S. sellers simply don't know the end costs to the non U.S. buyers thus they don't realize just how many potential buyers they are losing.  Even if the seller agrees to send first class after listing GSP as the shipping method, the seller cannot send a first class invoice.  If it is agreed that the extra would be refunded and the item sent first class, it cannot be refunded as the funds go directly to Pitney Bowes.

I was considering an item that was selling for $1000 that was listed with GSP.  Customs should be 13% or $130.  The customs showing on the listing was $437.  That didn't even include the postage.

Get rid of this postage scam and let non U.S. members have a chance at purchasing these items too.

kalvin@ebay.com wrote:

• What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?

kalvin@ebay.com wrote:

kalvin@ebay.com wrote:

Message 3858 of 6,171
latest reply

peymundo
Community Member

In regards to eBay's own questions posed on this matter:

Nothing.  The program is of no advantage to the buyer who understands import taxes and duties.  

VERY SIMPLE SOLUTION... ALLOW SELLERS TO LIST THEIR ITEM WITH 2 OPTIONS.  ONE FOR THE BUYER TO PURCHASE UNDER THE PROGRAM, AND THE OTHER FOR THE BUYER TO PURCHASE UNDER CONVENTIONAL SHIPPING TERMS.  THIS WILL COVER FOR BOTH TYPES OF BUYERS, THOSE WHO KNOW IMPORT CHARGES, AND THOSE WHO WANT A DISCLOSED ALL IN AMOUNT UP FRONT.

The shipping and related charges 99% of the time end up higher than if the item shipped via USPS (looking from a Canadian customer's perspective)

By eBay posing this question this is very telling that they aware of large scale buyer concern and revolt around the program.  eBay needs to understand that proactively searching around the program shouldn't be a necessary behaviour.  eBay continues getting harder to justify doing business with.  Between this absurd forced shipping program, and PayPal's foreign exchange rate inflation, the benefits of purchasing within eBay are diminishing.  eBay needs to look long term on this program and realize that it's alienating a lot of customers outside the US; especially Canadian buyers.

Message 3859 of 6,171
latest reply

Interesting. Can you show an example ?

Message 3860 of 6,171
latest reply