Does USPS First Class have tracking when it reaches Canada?

I've read conflicting information regarding the tracking of USPS first-class international parcel once it reaches Canada. Various answers depending on how old the post is.

I have a package from Chicago going to Toronto. Tracking starts with 'UA' and has been stuck in 'pre-shipment' for a week. Most likely due to it being a printed label and workers not scanning it. Currently, CanadaPost says the tracking number is valid, but not on their system.

Should I be expecting more tracking updates or will the package go dark until it's delivered? Anyone have recent experience?

Thanks

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@firesiege wrote:

I had headphones shipped to me in their original boxed package. Technically, it would fit a large envelope, but I think those kinds of shipments are restricted to documents. I'm kind of worried now because the 'Product Information' says 'International Letter'. Is it possible that the shipper accidentally chose the wrong service? The package is shipped though. No longer in the sender's possession.

The definition of an international "letter" is actually quite broad. In fact, a couple of decades ago, what Canada Post calls "small packet" service was referred to as "letter post" service by USPS.  When it was renamed "First Class International" the service encompassed both letter and package services; no distinction was made between the two the way it is now.

What I suspect has happened here is that because your seller purchased the postage for the headphones at a retail counter, a First Class International letter/document code was applied to it.  If the seller had purchased the postage online, a package code with e-USPS-DELCON would have been applied to it.  Am I making sense here?

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

First class package has tracking but unless something has changed recently, tracking does not start with U.  I’ve seen LZ and perhaps LC(?)

Is it small enough to be sent lettermail?  It’s possible that they are using one of the services like stamps.com that has a system set up for allowing merchandise as international lettermail which is also called first class.  It probably wouldn’t be scanned until it reaches their hub.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

As Marn  pointed out in your other thread,  first class package wouldn’t have tracking in Canada if the label wasn’t purchased online.  But it would still have tracking in the US and I’m fairly sure the number would still start with an L.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

Short answer: It depends.

If the postage was purchased online, it's likely that it will have eDELCON applied to it. That's "electronic delivery confirmation" and NOT "tracking".

If the item is being handled by a mail consolidator or the postage was purchased at a retail counter, it's not likely going to have eDELCON as an "add on".

Keep in mind that tracking only tells you where an item has been. It's not real-time and won't tell you where it is at any given moment or where it will be tomorrow.

All tracking and delivery confirmation do is confirm what you likely already know: Your item is either with you or else you're still waiting for it.

I've quoted Marnotom from the seller's section thread.

Based on what you're both saying, the item was shipped without actual 'tracking' and only a delivery notice for the shipper's benefit. I think that makes sense as the shipper mentioned going to the post office. I'm just getting impatient hoping for an update, but it looks like I'll just need to wait it out. With the rotating strikes going on the wait might be longer than I anticipated.

Thank you both for the information. I'll update this thread once the item arrives for anyone else curious about the 'UA' tracking number.

If anyone can pitch in on how long it takes for usps first-class to ship from Chicago to Toronto that would help ease my mind as well.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Based on what you're both saying, the item was shipped without actual 'tracking' and only a delivery notice for the shipper's benefit.

Not really saying that.  If there is any sort of delivery confirmation, then there is tracking,  even if the tracking is miminal.   

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

If you've got a bit of time to kill, follow some of these search results:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=usps+ua+prefix
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

A reddit poster says:

Some prefixes stop working once they enter Canada - for instance a domestic UA/US #### #### packet will stop tracking once it's presented to customs because the sender has only paid for domestic (in their country) tracking. So it may well be on its way but we're no longer scanning it - it's being treated as a normal piece of mail because that's all the seller paid for.

Another post on RedFlagDeals:

Many people reported here the increased wait for US packages sent to Canada by 1st class mail. The reason for this is not surprising... Reportedly, CP informed USPS that from Jan 2017 they will no longer share scan data for US 1st class packages. As a result, USPS had to introduce new prefixes for countries that refuse to share tracking info: UA and UE instead of regular LJ. Now most 1st class mail international packets sent to Canada get UA tracking numbers, and CP no longer shares their tracking info with USPS, and neither post it on its own site. The purpose of this trick was well discussed in this entire thread - to force buyers paying even more for shipping. Immediate consequence - USPS 1st class packets are now kept on hold at CP plants for several weeks before being cleared, sorted and delivered, just like packets from China, but a bit shorter hold time. It also allows Pitney Bowes, where current CP management came from, to grow their Ebay Global Shipping program, since they don't use Canada Post for US packets deliveries in Canada, but a small local carrier with expedited clearance and full tracking.

Kinda sucks, but I guess I'll just have to wait for it to eventually turn up.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

You're going to have to wait for your item to arrive regardless of whether it has tracking or not. Knowing where it's been isn't going to make it arrive any faster.

Having said that, I call all manner of shenanigans on that RedFlagDeals post. DELCON is still available on First Class International packages bound for Canada.

https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc2_022.htm

Where that poster may be confused is that First Class International letters probably don't qualify for the service. Is your item something that could be packaged in an envelope?

(Postscript: The point about the Global Shipping Program not using Canada Post is sooooo wrong and sooooo 2013.)
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

In my experience, the 'U' in a tracking number that starts with 'U' such as UT1229884847CA stands for 'Unregistered' and is therefore untraceable. I was once told that USPS First Class International to Canada is only trackable end-to-end if it's purchased online as opposed to the counter but that was an answer given to me awhile ago. I cannot confirm that last detail, as I've never purchased First Class International from a post office in the USA to send something into Canada.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:
Is your item something that could be packaged in an envelope?

Great advice about the package not coming any faster if I knew where it was. 😃 I mainly wanted to know if it was normal that I wasn't getting tracking updates and it seems that yes it is.

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?tLabels=+UA660805568US

I had headphones shipped to me in their original boxed package. Technically, it would fit a large envelope, but I think those kinds of shipments are restricted to documents. I'm kind of worried now because the 'Product Information' says 'International Letter'. Is it possible that the shipper accidentally chose the wrong service? The package is shipped though. No longer in the sender's possession.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

USPS First‑Class Package International Service

max weight: 4 pounds (1.8kg)

max value: $400us
format: LZ 000 ‍000 000 US

Tracking available for certain countries (includes Canada) for labels created online.
https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc2_022.htm

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

aww **bleep**. It's not looking so promising lol.

I've contacted the seller to see what's going on.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

and only a delivery notice for the shipper's benefit.

ALL tracking is for the seller's benefit.

And actually, all eBay and Paypal ask for is Proof of Delivery, which is a lower level of service than actual tracking, which records the item at each stop on its journey.

The purpose of tracking/ confirmation of delivery  is to prevent Item Not Received disputes being won by scammers who get the untracked item then open and win INR disputes.

The other purpose is to give buyers the warm fuzzies when they pay for a service that really does them no good at all.

If your purchase does not arrive by the last estimated date for delivery eBay gave you, you are protected by eBay's Money Back Guarantee, Paypal's Buyer Protection, and your credit card's chargeback policy.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

I don’t do much if any ordering from the USA for business now but I had to buy a few specific craft supplies for the kids over the summer that shipped from the USA, and eight of ten were badly delayed or worse. They were all shipped unregistered and tracked only until they got to their mail consolidators and then vanished. Two arrived within the estimated date of delivery, six were four to six weeks late and two didn’t arrive at all. This from the USA-based sellers.

I had a few international orders arrive on time, one was badly delayed, another did not come at all too. Those from various parts of Europe or Asia.

It hasn’t been swell. I prefer to ship with tracking as a seller wherever possible because I don’t enjoy waiting and wondering as a buyer.
Message 15 of 18
latest reply

Well, after some research I've been able to find out that with USPS's apv system if the package was deemed underpaid then the shipper will pay the difference and the package will ship as usual. Otherwise, the package will get past apv and will be on it's way to me. Worst case is that the package will be returned to the shipper, although the apv system is supposed to avoid this and prevent delay of shipments.

I've ordered a lot of things (hundreds) from aliexpress. They take a very long time, but I've only had one item not arrive. This is for trinkets and things worth a couple bucks, 20$ at most. My mindset totally changes when the value goes up.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I'm going to step away from waiting on this package and hopefully not think about it until it comes.

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

@firesiege wrote:

The definition of an international "letter" is actually quite broad. In fact, a couple of decades ago, what Canada Post calls "small packet" service was referred to as "letter post" service by USPS.  When it was renamed "First Class International" the service encompassed both letter and package services; no distinction was made between the two the way it is now.

What I suspect has happened here is that because your seller purchased the postage for the headphones at a retail counter, a First Class International letter/document code was applied to it.  If the seller had purchased the postage online, a package code with e-USPS-DELCON would have been applied to it.  Am I making sense here?

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Just wanted to give an update.

My package arrived this weekend! I think it was delivered to my community mail box on Saturday because it wasn't there on Friday. That's 18 days (including weekends) from when it was shipped from Chicago to Toronto. That's on the longer side of the time estimate of 7-21 days.

The seller said that the package was sent from his local USPS post office. So it looks like USPS uses 'UA' for shipping parcels as well as letter mail. Again, zero updates with tracking. It actually still says 'pre-shipment'. For those waiting for their packages I hope this gives them some peace of mind. Chances are that your package is on the way to you but will take some time.

Message 18 of 18
latest reply