Don't Qualify for Money Back, Even though the Listing says it Would

aliuh
Community Member

I know there are a lot of posts about this, but I'm still befuddled.

Bought a Lense Protector on May 24th, filled a not recieved claim July 16th, never heard back, sent another message today (25th).  They opened a case, I lost, and I don't understand why the item was not covered by the money back gaurentee. 

I have opened cases before.  Ebay could have decided that I'm being dishonest, I guess.  Should I be letting go of these small items that get lost for when it really matters?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Latest estimated delivery date was June 8th.

You had only to July 8th to open an eBay Dispute.

With no tracking number, the seller cannot win an Item Not Received Dispute.

But the buyer must follow through on every step.

When you lost track of time, you lost the Dispute.

Go to Paypal and open an INR there.

The Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Activity.

Again if the seller cannot prove Delivery (not shipping) you will be refunded.

If they did not allow you to open a Dispute before, try again. Sounds like a glitch.

The only reason I can think of for not accepting the Dispute is if the lens were a digital item. I assume it is a physical object?

And you can also go to the card you use to back your PP account and enquire about a chargeback.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

marnotom!
Community Member

53 calendar days after payment is a long time to wait to make a not-received claim through the Money Back Guarantee.  What was the last estimated date of delivery for the item?  One only has thirty days after that date to make a not-received claim through the MBG.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

When you say you've opened cases before, how many are you talking? Are they all for items not received? Have they all been recently? 

If so, eBay may have flagged you for abuse of the MBG policy. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

You bought an item on May 24th.

What was the estimated last date for delivery?

You filed an Item Not Received Dispute on July 16th.

So that was within the 30 days for Dispute, or you could not have opened it.

On July 25th-- you what? Was the case already open or had you just opened it on the 25th?

What was the last estimated date for delivery?

Because if you didn't really open a Dispute on the 16th, but did on the 25th, AND the deadline had passed, then you would lose.

You might also lose if the seller was able to prove delivery. Although eBay usually does inform you of that.

However,

You are covered by Paypal for 180 days from Payment (on May 24th) which takes you to mid-October.

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Activity.

The process is basically the same as with eBay (they used to be the same company after all).

Keep an eye on what is happening and be sure to escalate as soon as possible.

If the seller cannot prove delivery,you will be refunded.

Again, if the seller can prove delivery you cannot win.

Check the tracking numbers to see what happened with delivery. If the address the lens was delivered to is not yours, be sure to tell Paypal.

And you may be covered by the chargeback service of the credit card you use to back your PP account.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Estimated Delivery date was June 8th, and on June 25th I sent them another message because they hadn't responded.

There doesn't seem to be a tracking number.  I tried through Paypal to make a claim and it said 'unable to for this type of transaction'  but I just tried again today and it looks like it will let me.  Not sure what changed.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

It's been quite a while since I've made a claim, and I couldn't figure out the exact number, but I would say around five.  All for small things.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I tend to forget about things I've ordered, and know things sometimes take way too long.  I also wan't aware of the time limit for making claims, but now I know for next time.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

You had only to July 8th to open an eBay Dispute.

With no tracking number, the seller cannot win an Item Not Received Dispute.

But the buyer must follow through on every step.

When you lost track of time, you lost the Dispute.

Go to Paypal and open an INR there.

The Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Activity.

Again if the seller cannot prove Delivery (not shipping) you will be refunded.

If they did not allow you to open a Dispute before, try again. Sounds like a glitch.

The only reason I can think of for not accepting the Dispute is if the lens were a digital item. I assume it is a physical object?

And you can also go to the card you use to back your PP account and enquire about a chargeback.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Oh dear, I'm stupid.  Numbers are not my strong point;  I see now I was well beyond the 30 limit.  Thank you for pointing that out to me, I'm not sure how I miss calculated that so badly.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I'm dysnumeric myself, numbers just slide out of my brain.

It does help if you mark your calendar (paper or digital) with the last estimated delivery date for any online purchase.

And remember that, while it is always polite and often useful to contact the seller first, you should not get into a conversation.

You need the date of shipping, the service used and the tracking number.

And actually only the tracking number is important.

If it leads nowhere, you can win the Dispute. If it is valid, you may be asked to wait a few more days for delivery (because: COVID) but the seller still has to prove Delivery not Shipping.

If the seller can't provide a valid tracking number, or if the number does not show the purchase in Canada and moving, go to the Dispute.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for the advice.  I don't think to do that because I don't expect to havea package not arrive! XD

I'm almost never see shipping with tracking as an option.  Shipping is usually so expensive as is...

Message 11 of 11
latest reply