EBay International Shipping (EIS)

I refuse to buy from any seller that does not offer an alternative to EIS. As a Canadian, I have bought items (not necessarily on EBay) from all over the US. EIS is by far the slowest system I have ever dealt with. For example, I bought an item from a seller in Colorado. The vendor shipped it out in less than 24 hrs. It took USPS a day and a half to get it to Chicago area (Glendale Heights). It sat there for 10 days before it was “processed“ and re-shipped to Toronto, ON Canada. It took another day and a half to get to my door. Total travel time - 3 days. Total time in transit - weeks!! Ouch!
Do better EBay!!
Message 2 of 96
latest reply
95 REPLIES 95

marnotom!
Community Member

Sure.  That's your right.

Message 1 of 96
latest reply

@names_all_taken wrote:
I refuse to buy from any seller that does not offer an alternative to EIS. As a Canadian, I have bought items (not necessarily on EBay) from all over the US. EIS is by far the slowest system I have ever dealt with. For example, I bought an item from a seller in Colorado. The vendor shipped it out in less than 24 hrs. It took USPS a day and a half to get it to Chicago area (Glendale Heights). It sat there for 10 days before it was “processed“ and re-shipped to Toronto, ON Canada. It took another day and a half to get to my door. Total travel time - 3 days. Total time in transit - weeks!! Ouch!
Do better EBay!!

devon@ebay 

Is eBay doing anything to address these situations. They are being reported regularly now that is the what appears to be default option for US eBay sellers. It has made buying from the US much more difficult, slower and expensive. Also there is no forcast as to when combined shipping will be an option. It was much more appreciated when buyers had choice as to how something was going to be shipped vs told this is the only way.

Thanks,

-Lotz

CC @names_all_taken 

Message 3 of 96
latest reply

I suspect that part of the "more expensive" is that eIS doesn't use the postal system, which in collaboration with CBSA,  ignores most low value US imports .

And since it seems to use private couriers there are also "brokerage fees" charged.

It is important to remember that these programs are set up to soothe the xenophobic and paranoid US sellers who are terrified to ship to foreign lands like Hawai'i, Alaska, or ghu forbid , Puerto Rico, nevermind to Canada or overseas.

It's a Seller Protection program and not meant to be helpful to buyers.

Message 4 of 96
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I suspect that part of the "more expensive" is that eIS doesn't use the postal system, which in collaboration with CBSA,  ignores most low value US imports .

And since it seems to use private couriers there are also "brokerage fees" charged.

It is important to remember that these programs are set up to soothe the xenophobic and paranoid US sellers who are terrified to ship to foreign lands like Hawai'i, Alaska, or ghu forbid , Puerto Rico, nevermind to Canada or overseas.

It's a Seller Protection program and not meant to be helpful to buyers.

@reallynicestamps 

eBay seems to like the concept of removing all forms of choice for both buyers and sellers. Opt in...you are stuck. Use the app or pc you only get select group of options. Buyers used to be able to choose a shipping method....Now, at least from the Canuck perspective it's wysiwyg insanity.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 96
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

When you refer to eIS as "more expensive," @lotzofuniquegoodies, what are you comparing it to?

I'm looking at a listing for a vintage Panasonic boombox that shows a "Standard" shipping rate to me on Vancouver Island of almost US$99 (C$134).  Horrific, right?  Consider that the seller is charging US$62 (C$85) for shipping the item to Glendale Heights.  This makes eIS's shipping charge from Glendale Heights to me US$37 (C$49), just over half of the seller's domestic shipping charge.

If the seller is charging what they are to ship the boombox domestically, I do wonder what they'd be charging if they shipped directly to Canada under their own steam, because I doubt it would be less than what they're charging to ship within the US.

Message 6 of 96
latest reply

To be clear the boombox seller is charging $62USD to anywhere in the USA , including the eIS plant in GH?

Message 7 of 96
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

When you refer to eIS as "more expensive," @lotzofuniquegoodies, what are you comparing it to?

I'm looking at a listing for a vintage Panasonic boombox that shows a "Standard" shipping rate to me on Vancouver Island of almost US$99 (C$134).  Horrific, right?  Consider that the seller is charging US$62 (C$85) for shipping the item to Glendale Heights.  This makes eIS's shipping charge from Glendale Heights to me US$37 (C$49), just over half of the seller's domestic shipping charge.

If the seller is charging what they are to ship the boombox domestically, I do wonder what they'd be charging if they shipped directly to Canada under their own steam, because I doubt it would be less than what they're charging to ship within the US.

@marnotom! 

Many buyers still take into consideration that when an item was ordered through the old USPS to CP system it was basically a lottery to paying tax, duty and processing vs the automatic with eIS.  And secondly, maybe it just is more expensive because of the 2 part system. (A to B, B to C)? Who know's? In theory it should be cheaper to ship A to B.

It is mentioned that that there are "supposed" to be savings with eIS. For any buyer checking the shipping this is hard to see because there is nothing to compare it to. (Unless you happen to find a seller selling the same item that is closer to you.) Or can even find a seller not using eIS. Not an easy task.

It's just hard to tell because when you buy now you have no idea what you will be getting for delivery dollar. Are you suggesting Canadian buyers should just lower their expectations? Possibly why we are seeing those complaints on a more regular basis from buyers as they start to use  eIS once and they are comparing to their past experiences? They knew what they were going to get. (Back then).  I just think many buyers miss having choice. A reliable system. Something they don't get with eIS. 

-Lotz

And it's still important to consider the 2 other elephants in the room?  Items making it part way and getting stopped in their tracks and the no combined shipping. 2 things that weren't a problem pre GSP/eIS. They both do not improve the buyer experience from a Canadian perspective. It makes it look like the seller experience is more important for US sellers (to eBay) vs the Canadian seller selling to the USA. It should be a fair 2 way system in both directions.

Message 8 of 96
latest reply

Personally, I do not really care. Yes, I confirm it's true, and often I had to wait 3-4 weeks for an item to arrive here. 

Much more important to me is the transit in the opposite direction, and I can confirm that many of my items were delivered within 3 days to my customers in Florida, Virginia or 4 days to SF, Seattle  (I use ChitChats/USPS). 

Message 9 of 96
latest reply

It is mentioned that that there are "supposed" to be savings with eIS.

It's a Seller Protection program.  I don't think I've ever seen it promoted as any benefit to the Buyer, except that more sellers will get the warm pink fuzzies that they are "protected" from the evil foreigners and be more willing to ship outside the lower 48.

Items making it part way and getting stopped in their tracks and the no combined shipping. 2 things that weren't a problem pre GSP/eIS.

I agree that the Glen Heights delay is a much more important problem.

Especially since our competitor (AZ) is promising and sometimes providing, next day service.

There were complaints about delays in shipping through Erlanger, mostly I believe from people who didn't understand spoke and hub shipping. But  then , who does?

and the no combined shipping. 2 things that weren't a problem pre GSP/eIS.

I don't buy enough to know if the GSP allowed combined shipping. It seems to me that there was an extra step required (the shopping basket) to make combined shipping possible.

EBay also makes it difficult to combine /discount shipping on multiple purchases made through Offers. Mentioned as part of the same problem.

Message 10 of 96
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

It is mentioned that that there are "supposed" to be savings with eIS.

It's a Seller Protection program.  I don't think I've ever seen it promoted as any benefit to the Buyer, except that more sellers will get the warm pink fuzzies that they are "protected" from the evil foreigners and be more willing to ship outside the lower 48.

Items making it part way and getting stopped in their tracks and the no combined shipping. 2 things that weren't a problem pre GSP/eIS.

I agree that the Glen Heights delay is a much more important problem.

Especially since our competitor (AZ) is promising and sometimes providing, next day service.

There were complaints about delays in shipping through Erlanger, mostly I believe from people who didn't understand spoke and hub shipping. But  then , who does?

and the no combined shipping. 2 things that weren't a problem pre GSP/eIS.

I don't buy enough to know if the GSP allowed combined shipping. It seems to me that there was an extra step required (the shopping basket) to make combined shipping possible.

EBay also makes it difficult to combine /discount shipping on multiple purchases made through Offers. Mentioned as part of the same problem.

@reallynicestamps 

There was another note on the help page about supposed savings to buyers but that is now missing. Did find this. 

• eBay International Shipping costs are on average 5% cheaper than eBay's pre-negotiated USPS international rates

Hard to know if US sellers are actually passing on savings to buyers. Domestic or otherwise.

The combined shipping is something they supposedly been working on but there has never been an official timeline as to when this would be in place. Only real reason (I can see) for not allowing combined shipments is added fee income for ebay. The customs documentation is not that much harder when you add a second different item. It makes it more difficult for a buyer when they would like to buy additional items from the same seller but eBay does make it a simple process.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 96
latest reply

I agree! the benefits are for those sellers who choose to use this system...and it is still a choice by both seller and buyer...sellers choose to use the system because there is less risks to them and buyers are thrown into this system(by choice or otherwise), but it is still buyer's choice to purchase from a seller who uses the system...

Message 12 of 96
latest reply

The 5% discount is given to the seller though, and I suspect that like the Canada Post discounts we get it is applied by the seller to their business costs (eg packaging) rather than passed on.

The costs shown to the buyer would be the counter costs, which are easier to see.

For example, I use Free Shipping. How would eBay know how to show my actual costs to the buyer? Or I use postage stamps, purchased often years ago at a discount from face, again how does eBay figure out my actual costs?

Message 13 of 96
latest reply

Interestingly on the dot com help page for EIS there was this disclaimer:

Global Shipping Program

If you've been using the Global Shipping Program and are now enrolled in eBay International Shipping, there are some differences to keep in mind. As with GSP, you are still only responsible for sending your items safely to the shipping hub. Additionally, with eBay International Shipping:

• there is no international fee
  • all returns and refunds are handled on your behalf
  • there are lower shipping costs for your buyers

Was  that line blowing smoke? Pardon the smoke analogy with all the fires

Message 14 of 96
latest reply

yes, I highly doubt sellers apply the "there are lower shipping costs for your buyers"! That's eBay making themselves sound like they are doing a "good" thing !

Message 15 of 96
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

To be clear the boombox seller is charging $62USD to anywhere in the USA , including the eIS plant in GH?

Yeah, looks like a flat-rate of $62 within the USA. Alaska, Hawaii, protectorates and military addresses don’t show up as exclusions, either.

Message 16 of 96
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

It's just hard to tell because when you buy now you have no idea what you will be getting for delivery dollar. Are you suggesting Canadian buyers should just lower their expectations? Possibly why we are seeing those complaints on a more regular basis from buyers as they start to use  eIS once and they are comparing to their past experiences? They knew what they were going to get. (Back then).  I just think many buyers miss having choice. A reliable system. Something they don't get with eIS. 

I don’t think Canadian buyers necessarily need to lower their expectations, @lotzofuniquegoodies, but it would probably ease their stress if they learned a bit more about the program. It’s a forwarding/consolidation service that uses ground transportation to get packages to Canada. They don’t have to like those aspects of the program, but knowledge is power.

I'll respond more to your post tomorrow.  Editing this post with a phone is a huge pain below the tailbone.

Message 17 of 96
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

I don’t think Canadian buyers necessarily need to lower their expectations, @lotzofuniquegoodies, but it would probably ease their stress if they learned a bit more about the program. It’s a forwarding/consolidation service that uses ground transportation to get packages to Canada. They don’t have to like those aspects of the program, but knowledge is power.

I'll respond more to your post tomorrow.  Editing this post with a phone is a huge pain below the tailbone.

The majority of buyers find out how this program works AFTER their first purchase. They go only go 2 ways. Flawlessly or off the rails. There lies the problem. Many buyers if they have a problem once may be reluctant to ever test it again. And it's not like eBay is going to "advertise" any perils of the program. Maybe they should? Similar to a new drug with numerous serious possible side affects.

-Lotz

Message 18 of 96
latest reply

There was another note on the help page about supposed savings to buyers but that is now missing. Did find this. 

• eBay International Shipping costs are on average 5% cheaper than eBay's pre-negotiated USPS international rates

Hard to know if US sellers are actually passing on savings to buyers. Domestic or otherwise.

@lotzofuniquegoodies, when it comes to shipping costs for the international leg, eIS works more like the old GSP than the oddball eBay International Standard Delivery.  The shipping cost for that leg is calculated by a bot based on information (or lack thereof)  provided by the seller and it is what it is.  The seller doesn't and can't "pass on the savings" because they don't see that amount.

I think you may be looking at the entire shipping charge levied on the sale when you're referring to eIS's shipping rates, but that's not what eBay is referring to.

The combined shipping is something they supposedly been working on but there has never been an official timeline as to when this would be in place. Only real reason (I can see) for not allowing combined shipments is added fee income for ebay. The customs documentation is not that much harder when you add a second different item. It makes it more difficult for a buyer when they would like to buy additional items from the same seller but eBay does make it a simple process.

Like @reallynicestamps, my recollection of combined shipping with the GSP was that items had to be placed in the cart to get anything resembling combined shipping, and it only applied to the domestic leg of the shipment--i.e. the part of the shipping that the seller had control over--and not the international leg of the shipment.

I think what's causing the problems implementing combined shipping with eIS is that right now the system is set up to link the shipment with a single listing.  Also, a combined shipment is likely to have completely different specifications when it comes to shipping dimensions and weight, and there needs to be something in place so that information can be entered as eIS needs to know this, unless the plan is to do it the same way as the GSP and just ignore that information and treat each item separately.

Message 19 of 96
latest reply

The majority of buyers find out how this program works AFTER their first purchase. They go only go 2 ways. Flawlessly or off the rails. There lies the problem. Many buyers if they have a problem once may be reluctant to ever test it again. And it's not like eBay is going to "advertise" any perils of the program. Maybe they should? Similar to a new drug with numerous serious possible side affects.

The majority?  How do you know this, @lotzofuniquegoodies?  Have you been surveying every single international buyer on eBay after they've made a purchase that's been forwarded by eIS?

We've seen a handful of posts from our fellow Canadian buyers who have had issues with eIS.  We don't know how representative those posts are of Canadians' experience overall.  Are the buyers that haven't posted about their experiences quietly fuming, or have their shipments gone smoothly?  And how many of those buyers are there anyway?

Buyers can easily start finding out more about eIS by clicking on the "information" icon that's on the desktop version of the site or the "learn more" hyperlink on the mobile version of the site.  Or they can find out more by heading to these discussion boards.  The information is there, the buyers just have to want to find it.

Message 20 of 96
latest reply