EMS or SAL Parcel for shipping from Japan?

Options for shipping a 2500g package, value about $190, from Japan are EMS or SAL Parcel.  I wondered which is the best for fees, customs, trackability etc.  The price doesn't differ much.  Someone in Quebec tells me EMS is "customs-proof", even for expensive items, but I found another discussion on Reddit that suggested EMS was *more* likely to get fees.  However, that discussion was five years old.  I understand EMS becomes ExpressPost in Canada?

If you aren't in a big hurry and just want something safe, trackable, and least likely to incur fees, which do you pick?

Advice appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

marnotom!
Community Member

@3islanders wrote:

If you aren't in a big hurry and just want something safe, trackable, and least likely to incur fees, which do you pick?

If those are the criteria for your choice of shipping method, then SAL is likely your best bet.  SAL is likely going to be handled just about as quickly as EMS within Japan, at least.  SAL will likely be handled as Expedited (or possibly Standard) Parcel within Canada.

The varying experiences Canadians have had re: the assessment of taxes and duties on international parcels and packages are probably more a reflection of mail volumes than anything else.  Saint-Laurent and Mississauga probably see a greater proportion of EMS parcels than Richmond (Vancouver) does and as a result ones that go through those entry points may be less likely to be scrutinized so closely.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

marnotom!
Community Member

@3islanders wrote:

If those are the criteria for your choice of shipping method, then SAL is likely your best bet.  SAL is likely going to be handled just about as quickly as EMS within Japan, at least.  SAL will likely be handled as Expedited (or possibly Standard) Parcel within Canada.

The varying experiences Canadians have had re: the assessment of taxes and duties on international parcels and packages are probably more a reflection of mail volumes than anything else.  Saint-Laurent and Mississauga probably see a greater proportion of EMS parcels than Richmond (Vancouver) does and as a result ones that go through those entry points may be less likely to be scrutinized so closely.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

That's interesting… I guess that would explain why the Quebec person never gets fees on EMS. I am in the Maritimes, so I'm not sure which facility the package might go through… Like, do they land in Vancouver and then go across the country, or do they land somewhere else closer? I am leaning toward SAL and buy a bit of extra insurance. Thanks for the reply.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I believe that because the concept of SAL is that items travel by surface in both the originating and destination countries, it would make the most sense to have your item sent to Richmond (Vancouver) and trucked by Canada Post from there.

There is the possibility that if there's space on a flight further east, the item could hitch a ride that way.

By the way, why do you need to purchase extra insurance? You already have protection through eBay.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:
By the way, why do you need to purchase extra insurance? You already have protection through eBay.

It's not actually an eBay item, but I asked here because I had conflicting answers elsewhere and know that there'd be a lot of more knowledgeable people here.  I would have protection using my credit card through Paypal.  I dunno... just thought it might add another degree of protection... or maybe better tracking?

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Insurance is for the seller's benefit. The insurance on the package will be on record as having been purchased by the seller and I believe (I could be wrong) that in the event of an international insurance claim, the shipper would collect the procedes.

If your item doesn't arrive or it doesn't arrive in the condition you expect, seek recompense from the seller. If they're not cooperative, go through PayPal. It will be up to the seller to recover their funds through an insurance claim after the PayPal claim is settled.

As for "better tracking," here's some advice from a reformed tracking geek. Tracking may be interesting to watch, but it's not real-time; you only see where your item has been, not where it is. At the end of the day all that matters is that you receive your item in its expected condition. That's all the "proof of delivery" you really need.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

So you wouldn't bother with it?  They state they "won't be responsible" for uninsured packages... I assume that's just an attempt to cover themselves, but, if you paid through Paypal & with a credit card, you could still go after them if your package disappears, couldn't you.

I dunno.  I just never bought anything from this seller before, so wasn't sure what would be the best choice.

Thanks for explaining!

@marnotom! wrote:
As for "better tracking," here's some advice from a reformed tracking geek. Tracking may be interesting to watch, but it's not real-time; you only see where your item has been, not where it is.

Heh.  I've had some packages from the USA do the grand tour, if you believe the tracking.  Like one that went from FL to Montreal and back to FL and then back through TN, or something like that, including being in both FL and Montreal at the same time.  It was really funny.  I conclude it was cloned and time-travelled too  XD

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Wound up going with SAL; seller said I didn't need extra insurance under $20,000 yen.

Thanks for sharing your insights 🙂

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

And did not get charged any customs fees, with the correct value on the package. Woot!!
Message 9 of 9
latest reply