Ebay Global Shipping Scam brought to you by EBAY

Do not buy  amplifier tubes or anything for that matter  on ebay using global shipping.My situation was this. I purchased two identical tv repairman cases with tubes in them.One did not have too much value to it the other had about 2,000 of tubes in it.

Some scammer working either for E-BAY or Pitney Bowes flagged the most expensive case of tubes as undeliverable.The other case naturally was sent on.E-BAY STEALS THE PACKAGE BY FLAFGING IT AND THEN RESALES THE ITEM AT AUCTION ETC FOR PROFIT.

Planning on contacting TV Stations as I got no answers on why it was flaged and the other not.

We all know the reason it's a scam!

E-BAY Knows about the scam and does nothing.So I do plan to get answers on this and will get a few reporters calling about this Scam.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

wish you the best of luck,  if you didn't receive what you purchased, even if it was flagged, you have recourse through paypal,  file an item not received claim with them,, the seller should have informed you if the item couldn't be shipped to you..

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

I assume that when they told you they couldn't be shipped that you were refunded in full? If not, you will have to file an item not received claim through ebay.

It isn't a scam, it's a matter of ebay allowing sellers to list items through the gsp that PB will not ship which in turns disappoints buyers.  I'm heard of tubes and other items not being allowed to be shipped before and it is handled the same way.  PB or someone they have delegated sells the items within the US.  I believe that it is for the same amount that they were originally sold for and since PB had to refund the buyer, they aren't ahead any money. I don't see how it is a scam since they don't make any money off of it but it is poor customer service and certainly not a good way to do business from a customer's point of view.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
The Global Shipping Program isn't a perfect forwarding system, but it does have a set of terms and conditions associated with it that are useful. Since buyers are the ones shelling out their hard earned loonies for this service, it's a good idea to get a sense of the T&C before taking the plunge and purchasing an item forwarded this way.

"Wholesale and bulk lots" are a GSP restricted category.

https://www.ebay.ca/pages/help/buy/shipping-globally.html#restricted

I can't see how a shipment of 2K vacuum tubes could be regarded as anything but a bulk lot. This is probably why the smaller shipment went through but not the larger one.
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

What marnotom may be getting at is that the GSP is not supposed to be used for business transactions.

One reason is that the buyer is not paying the duty and sales taxes.

Seriously.

The buyer pays "import fees" to the GSP/Pitney Bowes and they pay the applicable duty and sales taxes.

Plus a ~$5USD service charge.

IN FUTURE

If you find a great wholesale deal, and the seller is mistakenly using GSP as a freight forwarder, a polite note expressing your concern because of this failed transaction,might help the seller decide to ship using USPS instead.

BTW- while FedEx and other couriers might also be suggested, be aware that their service fee (customs brokerage fee) of $25 or more plus actual duty and sales taxes will be demanded on delivery before they will hand over the shipment.

The GSP does not provide any further information on the duty they pay or , what is more important, the sales taxes, which can be an import tax credit for a business.

There has been a lot of screaming over that detail.

BUT

Did you get your money back?

If you did not, have you filed an eBay Item Not Received Dispute, that includes the information that this was a GSP transaction?

If you missed the deadline for an eBay Dispute, have you opened a Paypal Item Not Received Dispute, that includes the information that this was a GSP transaction?

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

I wasn't really bringing up the fact that the GSP is intended for personal purchases only, but it's a worthwhile point to bring up.

I'm just saying that it's good to be somewhat familiar with the terms and conditions of the program and where to find information on its workings if one ever has a doubt about anything.

Doing one's homework can save a lot of time and aggravation later.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

You could be right but I still think it is because of the product itself.  There have been other reports about problems with the gsp shipping similar items. 

Here is an off ebay story about it as well..

https://hackaday.com/2018/01/20/vacuum-tubes-shipping-through-ebay-now-challenging/

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

I've seen a few posts on the .com boards about vacuum tubes as well, but they date back a little ways. That article you linked to is also over a year old.

While I agree that the nature of the item is problematic, it doesn't explain why one shipment went through and the other didn't, unless the lower-valued shipment didn't contain vacuum tubes. Re-reading the original post, I'm finding that it's not as clear as I first thought. I'm also wondering if the OP means $2K worth of merchandise rather than 2000 tubes.
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Same thing happened to me.

Bought a gorgeous heathkit SB220 that was like new, super clean, best I've ever seen ever.

GSP grabbed it and said it had mercury rectifiers in it.

total lies, the tubes (which are rf power tubes, ZERO mercury) were shipped separate.

I got the tubes but no amp.

I freaked out, ebay laughed, gsp laughed.

The seller did NOT get the item back.

Now imagine you bought something that turns out to be worth millions, like a rare painting that you bid $5 on.

GSP steals it and laughs as they hand you $5 back and sells it on their scam store for millions 

I was horrified and very upset.

s-yttgg600.jpgs-l166600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-600.jpg

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

I ended up buying another amp from the same seller and he shipped it to me without GSP.

It was $75USD, HALF the price GSP wanted and guess what NO DUTY OR TAXES RIGHT TO MY DOORSTEP.

This one was in better shape too.

LESSON LEARNED, CONTACT YOUR SELLER

173983960973-0_600.jpg173983960973-3_600.jpghk3.jpghk4.jpghk5.jpgIMG_4608.JPG

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Do yourself a favor, and never buy anything from any seller who uses this fraud of a program. The amount of illegal activities involved in the GSP is outrageous. Legal action needs to be taken against EBAY and Pitney Bowes for mail and customs fraud.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

sufi_535
Community Member

I am sorry to say I agree with you.. I ordered an item that was supposed to be delivered by global shipping.. it hasn't arrived even thought the shipment suggests it has been in transit for 3 weeks ( from Cincinnati Ohio to Toronto Canada and cleared customs  . I know it doesn't take 3 weeks.. and the information about shipment is clearly not true.. I wonder if the company operates on the basis that it has your payment ( and any interest it gets ) until you ask for a refund when in fact they never intended to deliver the item... I know it doesn't take 3 -4 weeks to ship between Cincinnati and Toronto. 

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

If the item has cleared customs, it's probably now in a backlog of stuff with the Canadian shipper.  If that shipper is Canada Post, it looks as though the Gateway Facility in Mississauga has been hit with COVID-related problems on top of huge volumes of packages:

https://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/salmon-arm-revelstoke-postal-workers-ask-for-patience-kindness-d...

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

ZOMBIE Thread from 2019

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

... I know it doesn't take 3 -4 weeks to ship between Cincinnati and Toronto.

No.

Speaking from some 35 years selling by mail order, everything from postage stamps to cast iron wood stoves, 21 days for delivery anywhere in North America is not unusual. Two weeks is average, four weeks is slow.

the company operates on the basis that it has your payment ( and any interest it gets ) until you ask for a refund when in fact they never intended to deliver the item

The "company" is PitneyBowes  which is  contracted by eBay to process and deliver shipments through the Global Shipping Program.

They've been around for a century or so.

If your shipment is past the last estimated delivery date you were given before purchase, you can open an Item Not Received dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

If the item arrives after you have been refunded, Pitney Bowes allows you to keep it.

@leaky-bucket-labs 

The reason a shipment might not be charged import fees on delivery, is that Canada Post and CBSA decided it was stupid to spend taxpayers' money to assess and collect those fees when the value of the package was low-- generally under $100. But private couriers, like UPS and the GSP had to obey the law and collect those fees. Until July 1, 2020, the duty free allowance was $20Cdn. Since then the duty free allowance has risen to $150Cdn and the sales tax holiday to $40.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

I purchased these model cars on ebay and they were shipped to the Global Shipping Centre, but there has not been any updates since late April. Almost two months later my models have not arrived, and they are coming from US to Canada. The parcel was supposed to be delivered long ago. Very upset with ebay Global Shipping. Been buying & selling on ebay for years. Any items shipped to me without the Global Shipping has reached me much sooner.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

If your last estimated delivery date has passed, you have 30 days to open an Item Not Received case (on eBay). If you paid throught PayPal, you have 180 days since payment to open a claim.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

jdj53
Community Member

I wouldn't blame GSP for all the shipping problems. We have entered Third World territory with Canada Post. I have had my last three orders shipped within Ontario take two weeks to London Ontario. One from Ottawa to London by xpresspost is now almost two and a half weeks, still hasn't arrived. GSP takes less time from the US.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2019

The problem with zombie threads is that the information may be out of date and no longer accurate.

It is best to start a new thread with your current problem.

That being said, in addition to eBay's 30 day Money Back Guarantee, you are covered for 180 days from payment by Paypal.
If you also back your PP account with a credit card, you may be covered by the card's chargeback program.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Again, if the last estimated date for delivery has passed you have 30 days to open an Item Not Received dispute with eBay.

It may also be helpful to go to your local Post Office (not an outlet) and ask them if they can see anything more about your tracking number on their computers.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply