Ebay Global Shipping is horrible, slow and overpriced

For the amount that eBay charges on this farce of a program, they should be ashamed.  What a scam.  Ordered a product that was shipped from Minneapolis where the journey began.  It bounced accross the US going from Ohio to Kentucky.  It finally gets to customs.  Package clears customs in one day and has now sat in one place for more than a week.  Any other shipping service from Minneapolis to here is 7 days at most and USPS is way cheaper than the inflated fees eBay milks people for.  Who knows when or if this will actually show up but 30 days to get to a location that's only 450 miles away is a joke.  From everything I have read lately on this, it is not new and if you are in Canada, the only thing you can do is not buy from someone who uses eBay Global Shipping.  Ebay should be ashamed of this program.

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

marnotom!
Community Member

The Global Shipping Program is a glorified forwarding service or network, not a shipping service along the lines of USPS or FedEx.  Once I realized that, a lot of its quirks started making more sense.

You don't get into specifics about your beefs with the pricing, but you don't mention that you're actually paying two shipping charges to have your item forwarded to you.  The first is the seller's charge for getting the item to the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky, the second is what the GSP charges you for getting the item to you from Kentucky.  If the seller uses a pricey shipping method to get the item to Kentucky, that's going to have a big impact on the total shipping price you pay.  Also, the GSP's shipping charge is calculated by a bot that never really knows what the item is, only its category and any size and weight information the seller provides.  If the seller messes up on that or doesn't provide that information, that's going to mess up the shipping charge, too.

There's usually various customs processing charges that amount to around US$5 on GSP shipments.  If the item isn't subject to GST/HST and/or duty, those fees are added to the shipping charge instead of the "import charges," so that will have an impact on the shipping charge as well.

The item "bouncing around" is a forwarding service at work.  It's actually becoming more common practice as carriers try to keep their costs manageable.  My wife once ordered an item from SE Asia that was handled by FedEx.  It went to Alaska, Seattle and Vancouver before ending up on Vancouver Island where we live.  Next time you order something from a US-based website, check out the shipping label when you receive it.  I bet it has no customs information and instead has a Canadian return address on it, and that it was stuck on top of another label.  Your item was handled in a manner similar to what the GSP does.

If you don't want to put up with the GSP's quirks, you do have more options than simply not purchasing the item.  You can try sending the seller a polite message asking if they'd consider relisting the item without the GSP to Canada (individual countries can be exempted) and with USPS shipping instead.  Or, you can subscribe to the forwarding service of your choice and have your item sent there to be sent along to you.  Or you can have the item sent to a friend or relative in the States who will forward it to you or hold it for you until you can pick it up.

As frustrating as it can be to see a boatload of items where the GSP is being used, I think we have to remember that if the GSP didn't exist, the sellers of those items would probably not offer international shipping on their items.  It's perceived--rightly or wrongly--as too much of a "hassle" and for most US sellers, not worth the small potential increase in sales.

Message 2 of 38
latest reply

The GSP is a Seller Protection Program aimed at US and UK sellers who are reluctant to ship outside their borders.

Once the shipment arrives at the GSP plant in Erlanger KY, the seller's responsibility for delivery ends.

It has few if any advantages for buyers, because it is not designed or intended to have any advantages for buyers.

It is a Seller Protection Program aimed at US and UK sellers who are reluctant to ship outside their borders.

Message 3 of 38
latest reply

Before this program I could buy something and have it sent USPS and get it in a week or so for less money and less hassle. My good have now sat for 14 days after clearing customs and not moved. The product is now further away than where they were purchased from. This program is really a money making scam. The vendor sent it usps to GSP so the exorbitant costs were not because of the seller. It shouldn’t take a month to get anywhere in the US to a major city in Canada. I get things quicker from China.
Message 4 of 38
latest reply

And it’s a lesson learned. I just won’t buy from sellers using the program and will take business elsewhere. The high fees and ridiculous shipping times are not reasonable or acceptable. USPS does a better job at a better rate. Even with the huge brokerage fees most other carriers are faster and cheaper.
Message 5 of 38
latest reply

@chupa_chips wrote:

Before this program I could buy something and have it sent USPS and get it in a week or so for less money and less hassle. My good have now sat for 14 days after clearing customs and not moved.

The GSP hasn't taken away US sellers' choice to use USPS if they so wish.  Many US sellers see the program as a convenience and a way to minimize risk when shipping out of the country, however, so they've opted to use it as it's less perceived hassle for them. unaware that it can sometimes be more expensive than the postal system to Canada.

I'm not sure what you mean by "hassle" in your context, however.  If you're concerned about the last scan of your item being two weeks ago, keep in mind that scans only show the last location an item is known to be.  Your stuff could have moved on to a location where it didn't get scanned or the scan information didn't reach Pitney Bowes, who administers the Global Shipping Program.  Since you're still going about your day to day business as usual, I'm not sure how this is a hassle for you.  An annoyance, perhaps, but not a hassle.

@chupa_chips wrote:

The product is now further away than where they were purchased from. This program is really a money making scam. 

When I mail a letter to my neighbour across the street from me, it first goes to Vancouver to be cancelled and processed before coming back to my small town on Vancouver Island to be delivered.  If I fly out of a small airport here on the island to the Okanagan Valley (Kelowna, BC), there are some flights that take me to Calgary first.  Your item isn't going on a solo road trip; it's travelling with other items and it's simply a more efficient use of resources to have it travel with other items that may have common destinations along the way.  The GSP wasn't built for speed and the estimated delivery times on the listing page generally reflect that.  Unfortunately, the GSP also deals with Canadian carriers that are cheapskates and, like many services these days, probably have staffing issues that are leading to delayed shipments.

Yes, the GSP was devised to make money for Pitney Bowes, which diversified from its core business of postage meters a number of years ago by buying a logistics company. I don't see anything in the GSP's marketing that suggests that it's a charitable organization doing what it's doing out of the goodness of Pitney Bowes' corporate heart. My definition of "scam" must be different than yours, though, as there's nothing fraudulent involved in what the GSP does.

@chupa_chips wrote:

The vendor sent it usps to GSP so the exorbitant costs were not because of the seller.

You say the shipping cost for your item was "exorbitant" yet it wasn't expensive enough to make you pass on the item.  I also wonder, since you make reference to life before the GSP, if you're aware how much shipping costs have increased since 2013, when the GSP was unleashed on us.  Unless it's a Media Mail item, a half-kilo package sent from Minneapolis to the Global Shipping Center will cost at least just shy of nine bucks US, with the most expensive shipping option being almost 38 bucks.

https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculator/MailServices?country=0&ccode=US&oz=55414&omil=False&dz=41025&dm...

A cell phone (about 250 grams) would cost about US$22 and change to send directly to me by First Class Package International.  The GSP charges about US$25 right now.  Most sellers would likely not want to opt to send a brand new smartphone as a small packet, so you'd probably be looking at more expensive parcel post options.

Most listings I've found where the GSP's shipping is astronomically out of whack are due to something the seller did to throw off the GSP's calculator bot.

I've only bought a few cell phones and a musical instrument that were forwarded by the GSP.  I haven't bought anything else because it didn't make sense to use it with the items I was looking at.  It is what it is, and I'm not getting my Denver Hayes in a twist about it.  A seller using the GSP inappropriately is one I probably wouldn't want to buy from anyway.

Message 6 of 38
latest reply

Global Shipping program is one of the worst devised strategies, and from threads 10 years ago, half if not most of the problems have not been addressed at all. There is little to no defense for it and most arguments in favor of it are null.

As a Canadian buyer it has reduced my shopping from USA sellers 95-99%. I will perpetually avoid USA sellers like the plague. Most stats indicate sales are on less than 10$ small purchases, there is NO justifying in any of Gods green earth, an automatic 20-30$ shipping charge on all items that weight 1-100 grams PERIOD. Not to mention speed is shotty and slightly slower by all accounts.

To half of those who defend it and say sellers know what they apply for and enjoy the convience NO THEY DONT. I have messaged 15-20 USA sellers I assumed were part of the program on why their shipping is so high for a valid lettermail object to Canada, and the 10 that did reply most of them agreed and said they had absolutely NO idea why shipping was so high to Canada and all said they weren't able to change it if they could. 

I could come up with 100s of clear data, informal stat taking, common sense observances, time and time again, this remains a poor program that in the end will hurt sellers badly. For most, the "convenience" doesnt replace the opprotunity to make a sale, especialy if most sellers are completely unaware of how this program effects and deters most international buyers. I will love ebay and continue to support it but this has greatly effected my spending habits and I will nearly always avoid those enrolled in the program. 

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

It bounced accross the US going from Ohio to Kentucky.

Never watch shipping in transit. It is just too stressful.

But Erlanger KY is suburb of Cinncinnati OH and shares the same airport.

The GSP plant seems to move some shipments to the Cincinnati plant when things get busy. Google Maps puts the two plants about 15 minutes drive apart.

and has now sat in one place for more than a week.

Never watch shipping in transit. It is just too stressful.

Tracking shows where a shipment has been not where it is.

USPS is way cheaper than the inflated fees eBay milks people for.

Both GSP and USPS/Canada Post charge both shipping and service fees.

GST is ~$5 and Canada Post $9.95.

The rest of the import fees are made up of duty and sales taxes.

There is a duty free allowance of $150 and a tax free allowance of $40 on imports from the USA.

30 days to get to a location that's only 450 miles away

You purchased 30 days ago? April 13?

What was the last estimated date for delivery eBay gave you?

If that date has passed you can open an Item Not Received dispute with eBay from your Purchases list.

Be sure to say that this was shipped by the GSP, because the seller's responsibility ended  when the shipment reached the GSP plant.

The GSP doesn't argue. They just refund.

So you get your money back, and when the purchase arrives, you keep it.

Message 8 of 38
latest reply

I purchased a part for a repair for a customer on April 18th $50 USD half of which was to ship an item that weighed at most 250gm. Everything seemed to be fine until it cleared Canada customs on April 22nd. That is the last tracking. It is May 6th and I have no idea where the shipment is or whom the carrier of record is. I suspect it is IntelCom because they are cheap courier using contract drivers. Why on earth it would take a shipment a month to get from Iowa up to Canada is beyond me.

I told my customer I have no idea when or if the replacement part will show up. Sure I will get a refund but I will have lost the time waiting for the item to show up and if it does I will also have lost the cost of the repair to my customer. I have gotten items from AliExpress faster than via this item via eBay's Global Shipping Program and the tracking was continuous.   

Message 9 of 38
latest reply

Totally agree🌷
Message 10 of 38
latest reply

bingo, this is exactly it.  its unfortunate but yes, it was designed to placate scaredy cat american sellers paranoid about losing an item, so the solution?  punish canadian buyers and make them pay a ridiculous amount of money for a service they dont need.  This isnt Argentina, you dont need a involve a brokerage to get stuff across our border, our national postal services are pretty much seamlessly integrated.   For all intensive purposes from all the time Ive done this our postal services are very close to perfect getting stuff across our borders efficiently.  They are so efficient my rule of thumb is that if something goes missing, 95 times out of a 100 the customer is lying to get a freebie.  I avoid any seller who expects me to use this service.  

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

absolutely, and they'll never change it either because the Canadian market doesnt matter to American sellers.  We're peanuts to them.  I vote with my wallet on this platform and very rarely buy American on here as a result.  Amazon, where there is no such similar program, I routinely buy American.  

Message 12 of 38
latest reply

@chupa_chips wrote:

For the amount that eBay charges on this farce of a program, they should be ashamed.  What a scam.  Ordered a product that was shipped from Minneapolis where the journey began.  It bounced accross the US going from Ohio to Kentucky.  It finally gets to customs.  Package clears customs in one day and has now sat in one place for more than a week.  Any other shipping service from Minneapolis to here is 7 days at most and USPS is way cheaper than the inflated fees eBay milks people for.  Who knows when or if this will actually show up but 30 days to get to a location that's only 450 miles away is a joke.  From everything I have read lately on this, it is not new and if you are in Canada, the only thing you can do is not buy from someone who uses eBay Global Shipping.  Ebay should be ashamed of this program.

jasmen@ebay 

velvet@ebay 

Would it be possible for eBay to address the concerns in this discussion. These have been reported at nauseum for ages with many unhappy customers/bad experiences because of this service. We've never heard anything in the way of improvements. A quick search will find many other similar discussions on the topic that mirror the concerns in this post. As Canadian buyers we should expect as good a service as we provide to our customers in the USA. Because of GSP this is not happening.

Thanks,

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Message 13 of 38
latest reply

@theoldestfart 

I purchased a part for a repair for a customer

FWIW- the GSP specifically states that it is not designed as a Business to Business (B2B) service.
Because the buyer, technically does not pay import fees, instead paying GSP to pay them, the buyer does not have the opportunity to get fee credits on GSP imports, nor does the business get ITC credits.

I suspect it is IntelCom

IntelCom is the absolute pits.

Message 14 of 38
latest reply

It indeed was Intelcomm. They emailed me the day before they delivered the package. This was first time I had confirmation that Intelcomm was indeed the carrier of record. It took them 2 weeks to deliver a package from Toronto to Winnipeg. 

As far as I can tell it was Pitney Bowes in Erlanger who put the address label on the box. They knew it was Intelcomm who would be delivering it and the actual tracking #. Did they bother to add that to the eBay tracking page? Hell no. The tracking information was not updated until the day before the package was to be delivered. It was in Winnipeg then. What the hell use is updating tracking information then?

Message 15 of 38
latest reply

I had to laugh eBay advertises the GSP as "End-to-end tracking — keep an eye on your item all the way to your buyer’s front door". That is a joke. The tracking dies after the item clears Canada customs. It has been this way for over a year. As a 17+ year eBay buyer I avoid eBay and only use it as a last resort. 

Message 16 of 38
latest reply

Who would have thought that mailing something from a US address to Kentucky, having it repackaged there, sending it to Mississauga, having it relabelled there, and sending it to a Canadian address that may only be across the border from where the package started could be an unnecessarily time-consuming and expensive process? It must be a real shock to eBay management that this is so.

Message 17 of 38
latest reply

Hey there @lotzofuniquegoodies I'm sorry this has been you're experience, I'm more than happy to pass this along and get your feedback in the right hands for sure!!

Message 18 of 38
latest reply

jasmen@ebay wrote:

Hey there @lotzofuniquegoodies I'm sorry this has been you're experience, I'm more than happy to pass this along and get your feedback in the right hands for sure!!

Umm Jasmen, 

Not just mine. Many, many others.

-Lotz

Message 19 of 38
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

My mechanics have ordered car parts for me that have taken over a month to reach them.  They weren’t handled by the Global Shipping Program and I have no idea if they were tracked. Tracking information wouldn’t have made any difference to me, anyway.

Message 20 of 38
latest reply