Ebay Return Policy vs Seller's own policy

I received a pair of boots earlier this week, and I feel they're a tad too small. If I want to request a return, do I choose the standard Ebay return process or do I go with the seller's own return process as indicated in the item description?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

If the boots are not the size advertised that is a Not As Described claim and the seller pays for return shipping.

If the boots are the size advertised, but they do not actually fit, that is a Buyer Remorse claim and the buyer pays for return shipping.

In either case, shipping should be tracked.

Here is the Canada Post rate card, in case your seller is not in Canada.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/information/app/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

If he is in the USA, he can use Shippo.com to buy a Canada Post label for you.

You may find that Canada Post's prepaid boxes are a cheaper alternative if your seller is in Canada.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/personal/sending/parcels/flat-rate-box.page

You have 30 days to open a Not As Described claim under eBay's Money Back Guarantee.

You have 180 days from payment for a claim with Paypal's Buyer Protection, but PP insists that the buyer pay for return shipping.

So start with a polite Message to the seller, describing the problem. (For example, even if boots fit my feet, I usually have difficulty with ankle width. )

If he is not helpful, move on to the eBay claim.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I dont know if you are saying that the seller gave special instructions in the description area but if the seller does accept returns I would open a return using the reason that item doesn't fit.  You can do that by going to your purchase history and click on the arrow next to that item.  I'm not sure of the exact wording but you would probably click on something like contact seller/want to return item.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

How far removed from eBay's return/refund procedure is the seller's procedure?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Yes the seller has special instructions for returns under the item description, but I can also request a refund through eBay item page.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Is the seller based in the United States and using the Global Shipping Program?
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Yes, I don't mind paying the return shipping since this is standard practice.

Well I can actually request a refund on the ground of Not as Described because the seller listed the boots as New Without Box yet described them as "Very lightly worn one time." But then I feel like a sucker for buying them in the first place.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

I would be very wary about doing anything outside of Ebay's approved return process, as that could and likely would nullify the protection that the process provides you.  

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

the seller listed the boots as New Without Box yet described them as "Very lightly worn one time."

That's pretty much a Not As Described case then.

Which means that you will be dealing with the seller and not with GSP.

And he should be paying for the return OR abandoning the boots.

In either case, he should refund you.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply