Ebay could do a better job handling the combined shipping mystery

I've been reading the discussions on Combined Shipping lately , of course because i was the highest bidder on several auction items and the seller refuses to combine shipping. It seems to me the general consensus is that :

1) Sellers are not obligated to combined shipping.

2) If you bid on an item, you are agreeing to pay the stated shipping price

3) Unless the Seller implicitly states that they offer combined shipping, assume that they dont

4) You should ask about combined shipping before bidding

As a buyer, sometimes i will ask about combined shipping, sometimes i wont. If i discover a sellers auction at the last minute, there simply isn't enough time to expect a response. And truthfully i have found that most sellers will combine shipping even if it isnt mentioned anywhere in their listing. It is sort of an online courtesy that you wouldn't over charge for shipping.

These are all fine points up for debate. Im sure some folks will react before reading this entire post and having said that, what brought me here today is that i am really surprised by the number of responses to Combined Shipping threads that side with the Seller and Ebay saying that basically its Buyer Beware and it is the Buyers responsibility to do their due diligence.

However, I really feel that Ebay could be doing more to bring the Combined Shipping Elephant in the Living Room to the fore front by dealing with it directly and efficiently. They could easily and simply state under the Shipping and Payments tab/section SELLER DOES NOT OFFER COMBINE SHIPPING so that the buyer knows once and for all what to expect.

As it stands now, the only information posted under that section is if a Seller offers a Shipping Discount, otherwise you have to ask the seller a question about Combined Shipping. (I believe on the desktop version of Ebay the questions are divided into categories and selecting Combined Shipping will generate an auto-response if Combined Shipping is not offered. On the Ebay App, all questions are in the general category.)

This seems like such a simple fix to end the confusion once and for all. Why Ebay hasnt implemented this strategy is beyond me. When the rules are clear and simple and everyone can understand them, -then the environment thrives.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my words.

Please remember this story the next time you are responding to yet another disappointed buyer.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Ebay could do a better job handling the combined shipping mystery

As it stands now, the only information posted under that section is if a Seller offers a Shipping Discount, otherwise you have to ask the seller a question about Combined Shipping.

To me, combining shipping means all my purchases are going to be shipped together in one package.

Shipping discount means that the seller will reduce the cost of shipping.

Two quite different things.

Now in real life, most sellers (and buyers) use the terms interchangeably.

But there are times when Combining Shipping could mean a higher shipping cost.

For example, if I sell two paperbacks each 1.5cm thick,and weighing 100 grams, I can ship them separately to the USA for $3.12each.

If I package them together the 3cm thick parcel will cost $7.32 Small Packet.

Neither package can be tracked.

After that, we get into type of packaging (poly, polybubble, boxed, etc.) which add weight and cost (bubblewrap ain't free), and may increase the dimensions.

The basic rule is that the Seller controls how she packages and ships to get the purchase to the buyer promptly and securely.  The buyer can ask for special treatment, but the Seller is assumed to know what she is doing.

This might help clear up some questions about shipping from Canada.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Remember that Packet rates vary with destination.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

As a seller (a relatively new seller) I also wish eBay had better guidelines around combined shipping. I don't offer it unless someone reaches out to me and we work something out. However I'm still reluctant as it gets confusing for me trying to figure out the prices of combined shipping and I don't want to end up paying more for shipping then I anticipated. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

IMO, on the listing creation page, there should be a Combined shipping selection of yes or no, and if yes, a box to enter the rate.
Similar to many of the other requirements when creating a listing ,  I'm sure this would be a simple inclusion.

Available now, if a seller has set up their shipping policy, 'Each additionalCombined shipping discountsApply my flat shipping rule'...
Clicking on the 'Shipping and payments' button in a listing, will reveal
"Shipping and handling
C $-.-- shipping for each additional eligible item you buy from -------"
But unfortunately many sellers haven't set it up or don't want to.

From experience, If not previously agreed, being gouged if your multiple winning bids disappoint, arises.

Better to be upfront.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Sorry no, it would not be a simple program.

Because tracking is expensive, many Canadian sellers go commando, and use Cookie Jar Insurance instead.

But if several items are purchased, the total value may make tracking worthwhile or emotionally necessary.

Then there is destination. Domestic shipping in particular not only depends on weight and dimensions, but also on distance. And international shipping has I think twelve rate cards based on destination.

And then there are contents-- how do you combine packaging of glass and books or fire tools and coins? Bubble wrap is bulky- see dimensions-- and not free --which affects the cost of packaging.

And then the rates change- almost annually.

Shipping is the hardest part of selling mail order. I've been doing it since the late 70s, everything from cast iron wood stoves to postage stamps.

I still lose on the occasional package.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@jolp_emporium 

it gets confusing for me trying to figure out the prices of combined shipping

You already have a digital scale and a measuring tape, I suppose.

Weigh all the items you are sending and measure the box/envelope you will ship in. Weigh the box too.

Then all you need is this:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Enter the address and dimensions. Choose the service you want to use on the next page.

You can then tell the buyer what they will be paying you for combined shipping.

ProTip-- Use metric. Canada Post went metric in 1974 and anything else will be inaccurate.

The website gives you the counter rate. You may be getting a discount from PP, SnapShip, or Shippo if you are using one of them.
I'm also assuming you have your Small Business Solutions card to qualify for those discounts? If not you can get it from that website or at the PO counter.

Personally I use mostly postage stamps which are sold at a steep discount here on eBay. There are some reallynice deals on stamps. For tracked packages, I put on most of the postage in discount mint stamps then top up the cost with a barcoded shipping label at the post office. With that SBS discount. YMMV

Message 6 of 6
latest reply