Ebays Global Shipping Program and Complaints - New provider - AWFUL - bad tracking long delays

johkno60
Community Member

Does ebay have an ombudsman?  I'm a buyer, and I'm thrilled with the seller in my transaction.  He communicated, shipped promptly and ZERO issues with him.

Ebays' Global Shipper Program took just a day shy of 4 full weeks to move an item from Michigan to Canada.  For the love of Mike, half of that state touches us.  Why did it take so long, well, following what little tracking is made available, it certainly seems the shipping entity delivered it to the wrong processing centre twice, and then when they finall;y had the right one, they tried to deliver when it was closed! Which created a four day delay.

Comedy of errors doesn't even being to summarize this foolishness.  Once it was in Canada - - essesntially zero tracking and no even reasonable guess on delivery.  Oh sure there was one, but we had blown past that 10 days ago.
I contacted Ebay last Thursday to say, "Hey,  I still want the item, but I want to be sure you guys know as a Canadian this is going to be impacting my willingness to buy ANYTHING from your site, and as such, I  would like to receive a refund for the $23 I paid "Whomever" to run around the better part of 2 states for 2 weeks and twice deliver to the wrong place.  I'm not about that'

The supervisor I ended up speaking with -- agreed with me and agreed to refund my shipping.  I  even managed to get from here that the new Global Shipping program ain't going so  well overall. 

Today when I still hadn['t seen an email - I contacted ebay - who basically told me "Go pound sand we're not refunding the shpping." -- even after I provided them their rep agreeing with and agreeing to refund it. IN WRITING.

Not cool ebay - not cool and I will take this however far I  have to -- It's not even about the $23 bucks now.  Now I'm just insulted and **bleep** off. Bad move on your part ebay.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Ebays Global Shipping Program and Complaints - New provider - AWFUL - bad tracking long delays

Firstly, one must understand that there is ZERO reliable telephone customer service for eBay. It is better to contact eBay through their Social media outlets, as for the most part, these so-called eBay reps have ZERO knowledge about anything pertaining to eBay...they are "customer" support in name only and most eBay members wonder why these "reps" even exist at all as generally they are totally useless......

Secondly, it is a buyer's CHOICE to order from any USA eBay seller that uses that shipping program.

But having said that, any resolve for your complaint would best be taken up via communication on eBay's social media outlets.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Afaik they don't have an ombudsman and their phone customer service is not known for following through on what they say.  I can definitely understand why you are frustrated.    You might want to contact ebay customer service through their Facebook, Twitter or instagram pages.  You can send a private message with your name, ebay ID and email address and they should get back to you. I know quite a few sellers have been very happy with their service so hopefully they are great with buyers. too.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

The item was NOT received by the last estimated delivery date?

You could have opened an Item Not Received claim at that point.

The Money Back Guarantee would have refunded your entire payment.

This usually takes about four days, which would have left you in a quandry when the item was actually delivered six days or so after you were refunded.

This has been a problem often seen here on theBoards when honest buyers end up with both the item they ordered and a refund of their payment.  Most want to know how to return the refund. It does get complicated.

BTW - The Global Shipping Program, which was a Seller Protection policy designed to encourage reluctant US sellers to ship internationally, has been phased out starting about two years ago and most shipping is done through the newer eBayInternational shipping (eIS) which is also a Seller Protection policy, but runs through a different subcontractor.

Which is having, to be as polite as possible, growing pains.

The supervisor I ended up speaking with -- agreed with me and agreed to refund my shipping... I contacted ebay - who basically told me ...we're not refunding the shpping." -- even after I provided them their rep agreeing with and agreeing to refund it. IN WRITING.

So you were on a Chat and not actually speaking on the phone?

Because phone calls don't have transcripts, but Chats automatically send you a transcript.

Or did you send a Message/email to Customer Service telling them what you thought the phone clerk had told you?

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@johkno60 wrote:

Why did it take so long, well, following what little tracking is made available, it certainly seems the shipping entity delivered it to the wrong processing centre twice, and then when they finall;y had the right one, they tried to deliver when it was closed! Which created a four day delay.

eBay International Shipping is basically a consolidation and forwarding service.  What it sounds like happened here happened before the item was even accepted by the eIS forwarding hub.  This part of the shipment would have been under the seller's watch.

What I suspect happened here is that the USPS sort hub in Chicago was too backed up to accept the package initially and it had to to be held at a smaller one (or smaller ones) until it was ready to take it on and direct it to the eIS hub.   That's a USPS issue, not an eIS issue.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply