Even if shipping method shows USPS, remind seller again to ship with USPS

Bought a 50 USD book from a seller in the United States where the shipping method was listed as USPS. Surprise text few days later from seller informing me of a 40 CAD import fee charge to my confusion. Because the seller was concerned about USPS delays due to COVID, he/she decided to go with UPS instead, unknowingly or knowingly blasting me with UPS' hot love, making this the second time I've been burned by UPS despite swearing to never to use their services again after the first. So for all you fine folk out there, just make sure to remind the seller to ship through the listed method unless you want an added 66% tax on your item.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

marnotom!
Community Member
Any thoughts on this, @lotzofuniquegoodies ?
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Interestingly the dotCOM seller Boards were flooded with praise for USPS after the holiday season, reporting normal or faster deliveries, even considering the extra pressure of online sales.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:
Any thoughts on this, @lotzofuniquegoodies ?

Personal opinion is a definite NAD. Customer was expecting USPS and got UPS. Not 1 and the same because of the different fees for customs processing. If eBay would see it that way is anyone's guess??

Another reason for why a customer should know up front what service they should expect so they can see the actual shipping option(s) for themselves before committing to buy. Maybe why it's a reason a majority of sellers have gone to using "generic = unnamed" services. For that extended window of protection because many of the suggested timeframes eBay uses for delivery are at best a hope & a prayer. Especially when customs processing could be part of most international delays. 

-Lotz

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Interestingly the dotCOM seller Boards were flooded with praise for USPS after the holiday season, reporting normal or faster deliveries, even considering the extra pressure of online sales.

The bulk of those USPS shipments would be domestic in nature. Any reports on how or if international parcels being moved with GSP or International Standard were moving faster? Would be interesting to know the split. USPS as an option to Canada has become few and far between as a choice.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Yikes, I get flashbacks when a "nice" seller thought they were for sure doing me a favour by upgrading the USPS.   It is good advice to double check that if the delivery service indicated is USPS it is sent by USPS.   Maybe even to the extent to indicate that if it is sent by courier you will not be able to take delivery because they charge very high fees that are not incurred with postal shipping.

I think some sellers swap because UPS ground can be cheaper for them and they are not aware of the hit buyers will take.   The don't think it will matter.  

Message 6 of 6
latest reply