Expecting a package from Russia!

How long does it normal take for a small package to ship from Kirov, Russia to Canada? It was shipped through registered regular mail.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Are you asking as a buyer or a seller?
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

EBay and Paypal do not recognize Registered mail as an electronically viewable service.

Many countries, including Canada, do not track Registered Mail once it crosses their border (outgoing or incoming).

I would allow three weeks from shipping and then open an Item Not Received dispute.

The seller will be allowed a window between five and 20 days to prove delivery. If she cannot do that, the buyer will be refunded.

When the item is received, the buyer can return the refund using Paypal's Send Money service.

If you are the seller, never use Registered Mail for tracking. Only Priority and ExpressPost are tracked. Oddly, Priority is slightly cheaper.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s8

The buyer is also given a window for delivery and eBay does not allow a Dispute to be opened until then. This is not true for Paypal or for credit card purchases.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@pinkrosecupcake wrote:

How long does it normal take for a small package to ship from Kirov, Russia to Canada? It was shipped through registered regular mail.

What's the delivery date estimate on the listing page?

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I've found that it generally takes a least a month.  I've ordered a few things from there and although it is slow, they've always arrived eventually.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

5 weeks to North America but from what I've heard, they could take anywhere from weeks to months...

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Air Mail is faster but some offshore sellers will use the cheaper Surface services (tracked or not).

The last estimated delivery date is more important than whatever the seller or the postal service estimates.

After the last estimated delivery date, the buyer can open an Item Not Received Dispute.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping, delivery) the buyer is refunded.

If the seller doesn't do this voluntarily, eBay will and then go after the seller for their money.

Buyer Protection is very strong for INR disputes.

Sellers should always track if the amount they could lose is more than they can stomach.

If this is too expensive for the buyer, that's too bad.

Some sales are not worth having.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Beg to differ with you but priority mail is not always trackable. A seller sent me a item from Argentina and sent me the tracking number, so I went to the Argentina Post which said a tracking number was provided and nothing else. The previous two items from this seller in Argentina went the same way and when I received them a week or two later I went to the Argentina Post tracking site and there was no mention of the route this item took the same for Canada Post Tracking no indication that it was ever received in Canada and when!
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Canada Post purposely holds/throttles ALL registered mail shipments from around the world to force other postal services to use more expensive products. In theory the registered product is supposed to be used for paper only. Canada Post adheres to the rule internationally but most Postal services around the world do not. Including the United States. I average 3 weeks to a month from Europe for packets shipped registered. 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@stanley613

A seller sent me a item from Argentina and sent me the tracking number, so I went to the Argentina Post which said a tracking number was provided and nothing else.

The names of services will vary from postal service to postal service. Canada's Priority Post is their top level. USPS Priority is pretty much their basic parcel service.

And some countries will not guarantee service to others, particularly if the country is war-torn or endemically corrupt.

The devil is in the details as always.

One Best Practice I've seen mentioned is checking shipinsure.com * which is a third party insurance company.

If they won't insure parcels to a given destination, don't ship there ever.

*Not totally sure of the name  because I've never used it myself.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@tch_ca

I average 3 weeks to a month from Europe for packets shipped registered. 

Shipping time isn't the question here although that seems slow to me.

Mostly I ship lettermail/ Air Mail  and untracked. European shipments arrive within two weeks.

Seems foolish to me to pay  ($17.50? or more?) for a service that is slower and which-- and this is the important part-- is not recognized by either eBay or Paypal as electronic proof of delivery.

The point of tracking is Proof of Delivery in Item Not Received disputes.

And to give the recipient the warm fuzzies -- even though the extra expense does them no good at all.

A Small Packet International (untracked)  of up to 400grams costs between $10.68 and $12.00. Add $17.50 for registration and your buyer is paying $29.50 for shipping.

A Tracked Packet International costs $42.39-$46.39. More expensive, but the tracking gives the Seller protection from unwarranted INR disputes.

Is the Seller Protection worth ~$12.00 to you? If not, why not use Small Packet and save $16.00 or more?

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

The thread talks about inbound shipments. Not outbound.
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Registered items inbound are not tracked by Canada Post.

Only domestic Registered items.

This has been the practice for about five years.

Registered Mail is not a trackable service.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

It is not Russia, but I once purchased 2 items from the same seller in Sweden that were sent Registered Mail. The first one took more than a month to arrive whereas the second one took 2 weeks. I was really suprised when the second one arrived so fast!

I also purchased items from Japan. One of them arrived very fast and the other, I'm still waiting for it after almost a month. So it really varies, but I don't know what is causing such delays.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

It depends on size and type of package, sometime it can be here in 10 days or 2 weeks,  but most likely 4-6 weeks.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

eBay and PP don’t have any special rules regarding registered mail that I have ever seen.   In some cases there is online delivery confirmation for registered mail and when there is, there is no reason that it wouldn’t be accepted as proof of delivery.  I’m always wondered why you say that it wouldn’t be accepted

Message 16 of 16
latest reply