Frustrated with shipping from China

I only buy from sellers offering standard shipping,  as most of the time it arrives in less then 4 weeks. with the exception of items being sent with a tracking number starting with SFC these take forever to arrive, and vary hard to track, Its my belief that these sellers are not being honest in the way there shipping there stuff. Not being able to leave feedback after 60 days is also frustrating, Which is why starting today if i have not received my package after 58 days from date paid for I am leaving negative feedback regardless. I also think that it should be a part of search parameters to be able to have standard shipping as a selectable search choice the same as what country to search or price range.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Frustrated with shipping from China

Feedback is not only voluntary, but is not used by eBay as a measure of a seller's account.

it should be a part of search parameters to be able to have standard shipping as a selectable search choice

When you buy on eBay, you are given a window for delivery. After the last estimated date for delivery (mark it on your calendar) you can open an Item Not Received dispute and get a refund.

The Resolution Centre is at the bottom of this page, and of the original listing too.

You have 30 days from the last estimated date for delivery to open a Dispute.

If the Seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

When you are, the seller may get a Defect (if eBay had to force the refund) or a rise in his selling fees. He also cannot leave feedback, which is much less important, since he can  at best leave a positive or none.

Its my belief that these sellers are not being honest in the way there shipping there stuff.

Although most sellers are honest, there are some who are advertising vapourware, things that are not shipped because they do not exist.

Standard Shipping is a fuzzy term which is pretty well meaningless. Which is not a Bad Thing.

When I sell on dotCOM, I must use Flat Rate Shipping from a non-US location.

And Standard Shipping is one of the few choices. It means whatever service I choose. Air mail or Surface, tracked or not, swift or slow.

With 178 countries in the Universal Postal Union, this was a practical choice for the guy who wrote the form.

By the way, I spent much of my working life as an editor so:

these sellers are not being honest in the way they're shipping their stuff.

I can't not make these corrections.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

May I ask if the orders you are placing are small orders, like under $50? If they are, most likely the seller in China is shipping in bulk with other sellers and the container that holds these goods won't leave till it's full. That can take a month or two depending on the situation. Then the logistics company handles freight to Canada etc. That will be an ocean voyage.

As mentioned, Standard Shipping can mean anything. It could mean my cousin is flying to your neck of the woods and will mail it when she's there. Or a friend of the seller will drop it off for you. (Had that happen once)

As far as feedback, I have been in situations where the 60 days expires and I can't leave feedback. Oh well. But the important thing is that you file a case with eBay or PayPal depending on the timeframe.

1.) If the estimated delivery date is within 60 days of the purchase date, use eBay MBG to get your funds back. 

2.) If the estimated delivery is beyond 60 days of the purchase date, you will need to file a PayPal claim to get your funds back if it has not been delivered on time.

Importantly, these days there is very little from China that is actually very good. I found when I ordered anything complicated (gears etc.) it's always factory rejects that broke or really bad QA. The only reason big companies have generally good QA is they have staff at the factories to ensure compliance.

If I do order items from China, I do so all from the same seller and in a large quantity, that way the seller has more motivation to send the items, and I have more motivation to get my money back.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I know all about how to make a claim to get refund, and 90% of what i receive is on time or close, and i have no problem with buying from china. IT IS THE SELLERS THAT USE THE CARRIER THAT PROVIDES TRACKING NUMBERS  STARTING WITH "SFC"  IS WHERE THE FRUSTRATION STARTS.

I believe these sellers are not sending "standard" but sending "economy" and saying they send standard mail. It seems that I am always waiting 60+ days for items sent with tracking no. "SFC"

I ordered 6 things  Aug. 28 2018, I received 4 of them within 3 weeks, the 2 im still waiting for had the SFC tracking no. have not arrived as of today.  the price has little to do with how fast they arrive at least for me i have bought items for $2.00 and items $200.00 and had them arrive in a timely manor.   

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

SFC covers Eastern and Southern territories in China with daily shipping volume of 300,000 sent from China businesses to global customers. 

Tracking format: SFC + 12 digits

Source: https://carrierlist.17track.net/en/china/190113

Their cheap option appears to be container ship. With high end being via airplane.

-..-

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I don't need attitude and all caps. On the 'net that is considered shouting.

We are all fellow eBay members and we do need respect for one another. I tried to give you a suggestion. You could have worded your reply different.

As far as the suspect shipping method/classification/tracking goes, that would be something you could present to the eBay staff on the Wednesday community chats.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

not sending "standard" but sending "economy" and saying they send standard mail... the price has little to do with how fast they arrive 

You are right.

Sorta.

Neither 'standard' nor 'economy' means anything.

They are just handy terms for overseas/foreign sellers to use to indicate that they are shipping.

Smoke and mirrors.

Neither guarantees any delivery date . (EBay may add one, but that's guesswork on their part.)

Neither mean air or surface transit, necessarily.

Neither mean tracked or not tracked.

It's just a word.

Like calling a coffee a 'grande' instead of saying how much coffee* will be in the cup.

The point is that if it takes too long to arrive, you can open a Dispute and get a refund.

Just note the (guesswork) date eBay gave you and open the Dispute when it is later than that.

And if you forget, go to Paypal which allows six months from Payment for Disputes.

*It's smaller than a 'medium' at Timmy's.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I wonder if the item went by ship. I do order from china and some items do take a long time but I always get them.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Surface shipping is very likely.

And it's not just the voyage. The ship is waiting to have enough filled containers going to the same port, before they set sail.

And there can be hundreds of containers on the ship.

container-ships.jpg

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

You are right.

Sorta.

Neither 'standard' nor 'economy' means anything.

They are just handy terms for overseas/foreign sellers to use to indicate that they are shipping.

Smoke and mirrors.

Neither guarantees any delivery date . (EBay may add one, but that's guesswork on their part.)

Neither mean air or surface transit, necessarily.

Neither mean tracked or not tracked.

It's just a word.

Like calling a coffee a 'grande' instead of saying how much coffee* will be in the cup.

Frustrating because 2-3 months  delivery time is becoming the norm. Some will offer a faster service, which I don't mind paying if it means receiving the item in a couple weeks. But what I am noticing is quite often that makes no difference, suspect they are shipping the usual way and pocketing the extra paid for the faster shipping.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply