GSP Lost package and can't get help from Pitney Bowes.

progdev
Community Member

Hey Everyone,

I'm at a bit of a loss here. On November 30th, I purchased some memory ($275 worth) and had it shipped using GSP.

The Seller shipped the item promptly the parcel was received by GSP on Dec 7th.

On Dec 8th, parcel was reportedly shipped to the destination carrier.

Since that time there have been no updates, aside from a customs update on Dec 11.

Right Across the top of the tracking page, it states "Due to the coronavirus emergency, deliveries may be delayed". Also, since Christmas was on it's way, I figured there was a massive backlog and I decided to wait for it to arrive.

Last week, I reached out to Ebay Customer Support, and they stated the "package is still on its way".... however nothing happens.

So earlier this week, I realized the package is lost/missing so I filed a "Item Not Recieved" and indicated the issue is with GSP. However eBay immediately cancelled the claim since it's beyond the 30 day delivery window.

I appealed, stating that Customer Service indicated the parcel was still "on it's way" last week, yet it was rejected again.

I'm at a loss here. I understand that eBay has to have a cutoff to prevent false claims down the road, however:

• They stated shipping times may be delayed.... so why hasn't the eBay money back guarantee been extended to support this?
  • According to the tracking, the parcel is still active. There are no claims that there is a shipping exception, so why is my opportunity to file a claim now lost?
  • The parcel is lost somewhere between the GSP warehouse and the destination shipping company. The Destination shipping company's (Intelcom) site states 'Information submitted by shipper, awaiting item'
  • They offer NO method to contact GSP for customer support. Both the PB telephone number and email have a circular response to contact Ebay.
  • Ebay in the appeal told me to ask for a refund from the seller - which I don't understand since this is Ebay's GSP fault, not the seller.

So sadly I'm out $275 + brokerage fees. I'm just venting at this point.  I know I should have filed earlier, but eBay should not be giving 'suggestions' to wait. It's just so frustrating that there is no way to contact GSP either to file a claim about a lost package, or have them try to investigate.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

The eBay deadline for Disputes is 30 days from the last estimated date for delivery.

And as you say , after that, eBay will not help you.

Do not despair!

You are covered by Paypal's Buyer Protection program for 180 days from PAYMENT.

Since you paid Nov 30th , you are not even half way through that period.

Go to your PP account and find your payment.

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of the page under Tools.

Open an Item Not Received Dispute.

The first suggestion (not a command) is to Contact the Seller. I take you already did that, so ignore it.

Do state in the text box that this was shipped using the GSP and was delivered to the plant. This is important, because you also want your "import fees" returned, which the seller cannot do. 

Ask PP to step in and escalate to a Claim against the GSP.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping, Delivery) you will be refunded.

If the shipment turns up later, and it likely is delayed rather than lost( so much is , I got  a Christmas card yesterday) you can return the refund using PP's Send Money service.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Do Paypal first, but if you used a credit card to back your PP account, or if you purchased directly with the credit card, you can also go to the card and ask about a chargeback.

Which would include your import fees.

But go to PP first, because if you lose with PP, the card is a backup. But if you go to the card first, PP will not consider your dispute.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for that information, I'll give that a shot. Just for clarification, if PayPal steps in and escalates the claim with GSP and determines the package was delivered to the GSP Warehouse, who is on the hook for the $275 refund? Is it the seller, or Pitney Bowes/GSP?

That's what I find frustrating about this because It's GSP's fault the parcel is lost, not the seller.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Once the Global Shipping Center receives the package, the seller is relieved of their responsibility for its safe passage and delivery.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the help

I filed a claim, documented everything, so we'll see how it goes.

I noticed Paypal has changed how GSP transactions are listed.

Previously there used to be 2 transactions: one to the eBay seller, the other to Pitney Bowes

Now, it's one payment (for both the item + shipping/brokerage) with "eBay" as the recipient.

Therefore it's telling me it's waiting for a response from eBay (not the seller), so we'll see what happens.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

You’ve likely purchased from a seller enrolled in eBay’s Managed Payments system, which is gradually being adopted (or snubbed) by most eBay sellers. While buyers can still choose PayPal for paying eBay sellers, the sellers themselves have no access to buyers’ payments through PayPal and payments will not be held in sellers’ PayPal accounts until the sellers choose to withdraw the payment.

You made your payment directly to eBay, which is why there is no longer a payment split on record and why the seller’s ID doesn’t show up on the transaction record.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

progdev
Community Member

UPDATE: Well guess what.... checked tracking this morning and the parcel is now "In Transit with Destination Carrier".... that's 45 days between updates! but hey at least it's moving!

Glad to see it ended up being a backlog. Still surprised my other parcels ordered at the end of December (through GSP) arrived way before then.

Anyways I went ahead and cancelled the PayPal claim. 

Thanks for the help everyone.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

What's done is done, but it is not really a good idea to cancel a claim until you have either the item or the money in your hands.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply