Getting details on receipts about the paid import duties

deqcha14
Community Member

Hello Everyone,

I am just wondering if when importing  and automatically charged for import duties for a purchase on Ebay. Is Ebay providing a detailed receipt of the payment?

As a business owner in Canada, it would be quite useful to have the billing clearly detailed for tax filing.

Thanks in advance if you can provide me with an answer.

CD

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

marnotom!
Community Member
Technically speaking, if you are purchasing an item that's forwarded through the GSP, you are paying import "charges", not import "duties or taxes".

Pitney Bowes is on record as having paid all taxes, duties and sundry charges associated with an item's importation. The "import charges" are the mechanism for paying Pitney Bowes back.

This is why the GSP terms and conditions state that the service isn't intended for commercial imports. You won't get the detailed information you're looking for.

Having said that, I'm pretty certain that in response to past similar questions to yours, some posters have replied that if you calculate the $ yourself and have the sales paperwork on file, that will suffice for when it comes to claiming business expenses. Not sure if you can claim ITC though. I'll let others speak to that.
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

And PitneyBowes/GSP specifically says that they do not support Business to Business (B2B) transactions, so you are not going to get anything from them.

When they are importing they are using a manifest and grouping dozens if not hundreds of shipments together then massaging the numbers.

CBSA is happy because they are getting money they would not collect themselves and are letting details slide. Keep in mind, it would cost more to make the numbers precise than it would to sweat the small stuff.

CBSA was rigid about "small stuff" coming in from China a couple of years back, but that was a combination of the fentanyl crisis and the UPU dispute.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply