Global Shipping Program is a bad joke!

For Ebayers in Canada, forced to pay top dollar for the Global Shipping Program is absurd....

The item I purchased is a used Cassette Tape Deck at a cost of  $47.34 Cnd, I am positive Canada Customs would not charge anything if it was declared & mailed with USPS & eventually Canada Post. The parcel would also arrive much faster.

To make matters worse the charge for Global Shipping was $49.53 Cdn.,  the parcel is handed by FedEx, the item was shipped from the state of Washington, 5 days later, the parcel is still towards the West Coast, I am located on the Canadian East Coast.

Wonder how much more time I will need to wait for the FedEx employee to walk to the final destination.....

Global Shipping? NEVER AGAIN!

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Comments-about-the-Global-Shipping-Program/td-p/149059

Unless they changed things:

The buyer ships the item to the GSP center in Kentucky, it gets processed, then shipped in a bulk lot with other parcels across the Canadian border and then a final carrier in Canada to you.

Duty and taxes apply to any shipment over $20CA. However, if via USPS/Canada Post a lot of stuff under $80 slips right through. But if assessed, then taxes and $9.95 collection fee from Canada Post.

If FedEx is still showing it on the west coast -- then your seller has screwed something up.

-..-

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

I realize it winds up eventually in Kentucky then eventually Canada Post delivers in Canada since I purchased an item a few years back although in that transaction everything made more sense.
The shipping address is correct, for some strange reason the FedEx employee is walking slowly south & very little east around the West Coast for 5 days.
Message 3 of 32
latest reply

@robertqc2017 wrote:
I realize it winds up eventually in Kentucky then eventually Canada Post delivers in Canada since I purchased an item a few years back although in that transaction everything made more sense.
The shipping address is correct, for some strange reason the FedEx employee is walking slowly south & very little east around the West Coast for 5 days.

Than that makes it a problem at the seller end since the first leg of the journey has nothing to do with GSP.

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

I must be missing something...
the seller asks FedEx to pick up the parcel & deliver through the GSP Program, therefore how is the seller accountable? Isn't there a standard format for the GSP Program sellers should follow?
Message 5 of 32
latest reply

The seller chooses how to get your purchase to the GSP plant in Kentucky.

There are two possibilities here:

• The seller used FedEx for the domestic leg of the journey. No problem.
  • The seller used FedEx and is sending the parcel directly to you, BIG problem.

Contact the seller and ask what address he gave FedEx for delivery.

If he sent to KY, it will then be put on a truck and shipped to Canada with thousands of others. Generally it is then turned over to Canada Post (sometimes CanPar, but we have heard of FedEx at least once before).  You get a notice if you are not home when the carrier arrives telling you where and when to pickup your parcel. No money changes hands because you already paid the sales tax and GSP service fee. (There is no duty on used goods.)

If he is using FedEx to deliver to you, what you are seeing is a 'hub and spoke' delivery system. (Did you see Castaway? The system is explained there. It looks weird but is actually quite efficient.)

The problem is that if FedEx delivers the parcel, they will charge you once again for sales tax (no duty on used goods) and there $25+ service fee and will not turn over the parcel until you pay. Again.

CONTACT THE SELLER AND ASK!

Politely.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

@robertqc2017 wrote:
I must be missing something...
the seller asks FedEx to pick up the parcel & deliver through the GSP Program, therefore how is the seller accountable?

It's not through -- the package has to be delivered to the GSP facility -- until GSP receives the package, it is the seller's responsibility. Seller makes their own arrangements of how they ship to the GSP center.

-..-

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@robertqc2017 wrote:

Than that makes it a problem at the seller end since the first leg of the journey has nothing to do with GSP.

It's not Than -- it's then.  Then that makes it a problem at the seller end....  ;-)  

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

Ok to make things simple without any misunderstandings...

The responses I receive is anything goes as long as the parcel reaches the Kentucky warehouse. Doesn't Ebay have a quality standard for procedures which sellers MUST follow to ship with the GSP?
If not, another reason why to dislike the GSP..
Message 9 of 32
latest reply

I am not worried about any extra fees as they are covered in the purchase. Although yes, I went through the extra fees horror with UPS & FedEx many years ago. Several carriers is the method, with the odds better than average Canada Post at the tail end.
Message 10 of 32
latest reply

@robertqc2017 wrote:

The responses I receive is anything goes as long as the parcel reaches the Kentucky warehouse. Doesn't Ebay have a quality standard for procedures which sellers MUST follow to ship with the GSP?
If not, another reason why to dislike the GSP..

I might not go so far as to say "anything goes" but sellers are allowed to choose the shipping method to get the item to the GSP warehouse in Kentucky.  Some sellers use a courier.  Once it gets to Kentucky by courier, that's the end of that.  

At the GSP plant, the item is checked to make sure people are not mailing gasoline or something worse, and from there all these parcels are forwarded on, in this case your item will ride with other Canada-bound orders.  

Once it gets handed over to Canada, it will most likely be carried with Canada Post, unless it is unusually big and heavy, then it will most likely be delivered with CanPar.  

Items coming via the GSP often do take longer that those mailed directly through the postal system.  And I agree that there would not likely have been any import charges if it had been sent in the mail.  That is only because it costs too much to assess for every item under about $100, but that is all very UNofficial.

Any item from outside Canada may be assessed for charges, because in reality our government has set a limit of $20 and anything over $20 (meaning a Canadian $20) is subject to charges.  This link will show you what I mean, 

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/courier/menu-eng.html

The GSP, and any item you buy that is shipped directly with a courier, like UPS, DHL, FedEX, etc, will cause you to pay any charges owing.  The GSP charges you upfront when you buy initially.  Couriers charge you on your doorstep.  

Some have really high brokerage fees, like UPS and their $25, and DHL with their $15.  It is annoying to buyers to pay $15 in paperwork fees when they only owe $2.35 in tax.  If and when Canada Post assesses your item, they charge $10 (9,95 actually).  The GSP only charges about $5, or so people say, but we can't know because the details are all hidden.  

Tracking a package sent by the GSP is sketchy at best.  Some say you can click the tracking number in your Purchase History, and a pop-up window should give you updated information with a second tracking # once it has left Kentucky.  That may or may not work.  You can try any number you have here, but this is a new link and no one has yet come forward to say if it is any good or not, 

https://parceltracking.pb.com/app/#/dashboard/

When you buy a GSP item, think of a relay race.  The seller (first runner) sends the package (the baton) to the second runner (Kentucky), who then passes the package to the next runner who takes it over the border and passes it to Canada Post who runs with it to you.  

If you are still troubled by some specific thing, you may be able to get better answers from Pitney-Bowes.  Anyone else who has had to call them or even email, has reported back that they were treated very well and the whole experience was very helpful.

http://www.pitneybowes.com/ca/en/contact/contactus-email-us-canada-en.html

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

I am assuming the parcel was shipped via FedEx Ground to Kentucky as it is slow moving with stops in small towns I would have never heard of until now with the tracking info provided. At this rate I'll be fortunate if I receive the parcel in a month from now. All I can do is mention slow shipping in the feedback if Ebay has no quality standards for sellers to follow for GSP.
Message 12 of 32
latest reply

@robertqc2017 wrote:
I am assuming the parcel was shipped via FedEx Ground to Kentucky as it is slow moving with stops in small towns I would have never heard of until now with the tracking info provided. At this rate I'll be fortunate if I receive the parcel in a month from now. All I can do is mention slow shipping in the feedback if Ebay has no quality standards for sellers to follow for GSP.

I agree that items coming via the GSP are not fast.  Once it gets to Kentucky (sounds like it is not there yet?) it should get on its way quickly.  

It wouldn't really be fair to mention slow shipping in feedback because that has nothing to do with the seller.  The seller is probably just as irritated at the delay as you are.  The question about "shipping time" really means how quickly the seller dispatched it from their house or store.  

From the time you paid, how long did the seller take to get it on its way?  A couple days?  That's pretty fast.  One day?  Lightening fast.  

8 days when they promised same-day shipping?  Maybe something happened, but the seller should have apologized for the delay in dispatching the item 8 days later than promised.  

I am not sure what you mean by quality standards.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

@robertqc2017 wrote:

Go back to the listing page and change the shipping location from your Canada and your postal code to the US and a US ZIP code.  The one for the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky is 41025.  

What should appear in the "shipping" section now is the seller's choice of shipping method for shipping the item domestically if the seller provided that information.

You may also want to check on the delivery time estimates for both shipping within the United States and shipping to Canada.  What sort of information is there on that?

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

For Canada- International Priority Shipping (with stops in every State of the USA) For USA- Economy Shipping (The timeline is 3x quicker)
This is a large outfit which mostly likely uses FedEx with bulk discount rates. The GSP system needs a (quality) standard system sellers should follow.
Message 15 of 32
latest reply

I don't think we've eliminated the possibility of the seller screwing up and sending the item directly to you.

Whether or not this is the case, the item may be being sent through some sort of package or freight consolidation service along the lines of what the GSP uses for getting items from Kentucky to the destination country.  This is generally less expensive than using more direct shipping methods, but the trade-off is slower, more roundabout transit of the item.

Back to the earlier point, you don't provide specifics on the item's delivery time estimate, but it appears to me that the item is still on track to be delivered to you within the timeframe specified in the listing.  I do have to wonder why you decided to purchase the item from that seller if you were in a hurry for it.

I doubt that the GSP can make any sort of demands on sellers to use more expeditious shipping for getting items to Kentucky.  The program is expensive enough as it is for smaller items, and using faster shipping would just drive up costs for buyers.  In addition, the program is supposed to make the shipping process for sellers almost identical to the process of shipping domestically.  Adding a tweak like that would probably complicate things for some sellers.

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

I'm not necessarily in a hurry since I knew the GPS system isn't the right choice to receive parcels quickly although a parcel visiting nearly every state in the US wasn't expected. As far as the time frame, at this rate, it's pretty doubtful it will arrive promptly within the time frame.
Message 17 of 32
latest reply

So what does the listing page state for a delivery estimate to US ZIP code 41025?

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

Economy Shipping 3-12 days, the key words are Economy Shipping, whereas shipping to Canada the listing states International Priority Shipping.
In my opinion from Washington state to the state of New Mexico (where the parcel currently is) in 6 days is far from International Priority Shipping.
Hopefully FedEx will realize their employee is tired of walking & will decide to put the parcel on a plane to Kentucky sometime soon.
Message 19 of 32
latest reply

@robertqc2017 wrote:

Economy Shipping 3-12 days, the key words are Economy Shipping, whereas shipping to Canada the listing states International Priority Shipping.

In my opinion from Washington state to the state of New Mexico (where the parcel currently is) in 6 days is far from International Priority Shipping.

"International Priority Shipping" is the name Pitney Bowes has given to the network of subcontracted reshippers, freight forwarders and logistics companies that make up the Global Shipping Program's system.  You'll see it on all listings where the GSP is being used for international shipments.  The shipping method the seller is using for the leg of the item's journey to Kentucky doesn't make any difference to that name.

What I believe you are seeing in your tracking information right now is not international shipping.  It's US domestic shipping.  It's the economy shipping that's mentioned in the US shipping information on the listing.

Also consider that the word "priority" does not mean "fast".  It means "faster than something else".

Message 20 of 32
latest reply