Global Shipping Program is a bad joke!

For Ebayers in Canada, forced to pay top dollar for the Global Shipping Program is absurd....

The item I purchased is a used Cassette Tape Deck at a cost of  $47.34 Cnd, I am positive Canada Customs would not charge anything if it was declared & mailed with USPS & eventually Canada Post. The parcel would also arrive much faster.

To make matters worse the charge for Global Shipping was $49.53 Cdn.,  the parcel is handed by FedEx, the item was shipped from the state of Washington, 5 days later, the parcel is still towards the West Coast, I am located on the Canadian East Coast.

Wonder how much more time I will need to wait for the FedEx employee to walk to the final destination.....

Global Shipping? NEVER AGAIN!

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Global Shipping Program is a bad joke!

@robertqc2017 wrote:
Economy Shipping 3-12 days, the key words are Economy Shipping, whereas shipping to Canada the listing states International Priority Shipping.

If I am reading all this correctly your main complaint is that it is taking longer than you expected.  You understand that the GSP is basically a 2-leg shipping service.  ?  

The seller first sends it to Kentucky.  They in turn send it to you.   You say you have bought from the GSP before so you will know all about that. 

The GSP has no control over items coming their way until they get the items in their hands.  How could they?  All they "own" or control is their half of the shipping.  Your item was sent by FedEx ground and obviously taking the Milk Run to Kentucky, but there is nothing Pitney-Bowes can do about that.  

The previous item you bought may have been mailed from the seller to Kentucky using USPS Priority.  That would be faster by a few days.  Once in Kentucky, the seller then has no control over how long it takes the GSP to get the item to you or what service they use.  

If you want a faster service from a seller  most will be happy to comply.  Had you wanted the seller to use USPS Priority Mail to get your item to Kentucky you could have asked before you bought so that the seller could revise the shipping section of the listing so you could buy it.  

Or you could have asked the seller to mail it to you directly using USPS Priority Mail International.  Did you ask?  

I completely agree with you that the use of the word "Priority" for GSP items is a bit of a joke, or maybe a prank played on buyers to make them think the service will be on par with USPS Priority.  It should more accurately read "Snail Mail International". That would be more honest at least.  It is always a slow service whether items start with the FedEx Milk Run or not.  

Next time you see a GSP item ask if the seller will mail it to you with USPS Priority.  If you need it even faster, ask what the fastest postal service they have is and tell the seller if they are willing to use it  you will be willing to pay for it.  

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

Yes, I know all that....
I repeat: My main complaint is:
The listing states Shipping to Canada International Priority Shipping.
In my opinion from Washington State to the State of New Mexico (where the parcel currently is,look it up on Google Maps) in 6 days is far from International Priority Shipping. Other-words, I have an issue with the word Priority, there is no Priority Shipping happening. If there was the parcel would be in Kentucky or at least much closer by now.
Message 22 of 32
latest reply

@robertqc2017 wrote:
My main complaint is:
The listing states Shipping to Canada International Priority Shipping.
 I have an issue with the word Priority, there is no Priority Shipping happening. If there was the parcel would be in Kentucky or at least much closer by now.

OK, I'm not arguing.  I agree completely about that irksome phoney phrase.  There are really long complaint threads about the GSP and that is one of the irritations that comes up again and again.  Because even if your item WAS sent to Kentucky from a seller using USPS Priority, it would still not be as fast as direct mail, and may even end up taking a long route again.  That has frustrated many a buyer before this.  

You are right, "there is no Priority Shipping happening".  So what I am about to say next probably won't help.   🙂 

Try to think of it as just another worthless bit of meaningless advertising drivel hyped up to lure the gullible into falling for a trick and parting with their money.  It's like all these listings for handbags in "genuine leather" only there is no leather at all on it, they use what they call "PU leather" which means vinyl or plastic.  

Everywhere we go, everywhere we look, outlandish claims and promises to make us buy.  It's the ad-driven market culture we live in.  It would be naive to expect an overpriced shipping company to be any different.  When was the last time a shampoo suddenly gave an ordinary woman a ton of long thick lustrous wavy hair that she wasn't already born with?  

All you can do is know that it is slow, way too slow for the price of it, and do everything you can to avoid using it, especially on a relatively small and lightweight item like you bought.  Changing the way the GSP works is never going to be one of your options, so what you CAN change is the way you buy and the choices you make.  

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Comments-about-the-Global-Shipping-Program/td-p/149059

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Questions-about-the-Global-Shipping-Program/td-p/149063

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

"Priority" does not mean "fast".

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

I never said it did.  

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

"Priority" does not mean "unbelievably slow" either!
Message 26 of 32
latest reply

As a Canadian seller, I have had no issues from buyers, or as a buyer from Canadian sellers since we have no GPS. Unfortunately there are several specialized products that are of interest ( in my case) are not available in Canada.
Several years ago, minus the GPS I purchased much more from the US to refurbish expensive collectable Film Cameras for resale. Now, since most Americans are on the GSP bandwagon, it's just not worth it anymore. Previously I would purchase say a $500. Film Camera in the US, I would not pay any duty or tax since the items were declared as Used Film Cameras. Customs would ignore the parcels when mailed. Now I will purchase the odd specialized item for personal reasons, the reason I am in no real hurry although it's just a matter of principle, sellers should follow though with the information for shipping on their listings.
Message 27 of 32
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:

I never said it did.  

Sorry, that was intended as just a random observation.  The way the board is structured made it look like a reply to you.

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

Ah, you're using a phone.   🙂  

And you're right, on phone replies it appears all out of whack.  That's why I use the quote thing, even if it appears repetitious at times.  That, and having no memory of my own, I won't forget who I'm talking to.  lol!   

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

100% a joke I live in southern Ontario and I watch my packages go from wherever they originate from. Up to Ohio and then back down to Kentucky then back up through to the border again.
Message 30 of 32
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2017

The problem with zombie threads is that the information and advice may be out of date or inaccurate.

Kentucky and Ohio are neighbours and by comparison with Canadian provinces, tiny.

images.jpg

Erlanger KY is very close to Cincinnati OH which is a major hub.

And the "spoke and hub "shipping system GSP uses  is also used by USPS  and Canada Post.

Which is why your purchase will probably pass through Mississauga before being directed to you, wherever you are in Canada.

It's counter-intuitive, but cheaper to move all the Canadian parcels to Canada/ Mississauga and then disperse them from there.

What is the window for delivery eBay gave you? If your purchase does not arrive by the closing of that window, you have 30 days to Claim a refund.

Message 31 of 32
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 32 of 32
latest reply