Global Shipping Program is a rip off

iglo_97
Community Member

Ebay uses Intecom Express for deliveries in canada. The problem is they don't deliver to where I live and now some how this is my fault. Refund was denied and now they won't respond at all. No package and no refund. what a scam. Any one have any idea's about a next step?

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Global Shipping Program is a rip off

@iglo_97 wrote:

Ebay uses Intecom Express for deliveries in canada. The problem is they don't deliver to where I live and now some how this is my fault. Refund was denied and now they won't respond at all. No package and no refund. what a scam. Any one have any idea's about a next step?

Best to pass this on to tyler@ebay  and hope he has a solution or can pass it on to the powers that be as an issue. According to their website Intelcom delivers nearly 400,000 parcels every day, sorted from 60 stations in 9 provinces.

Contact us | Intelcom

-Lotz

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

What do you mean "no refund"?  What steps did you take to get one?  Did you go through eBay's Money Back Guarantee program?

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Did you open an item not received claim and the refund was denied or were you in contact with the seller?  If you did lose the case it was likely because the system assumed that you didn't give a complete or correct address and since it is the buyers responsibility to do so, they would probably rule against you.  

Assuming that the address was correct and you lost an item not received case, You should contact customer service by sending a private message through Ebays Facebook or Twitter account.  The customer service there seems to have more power to change decisions that regular customer service does.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

Most of the GSP shipments in Canada are handled by Canada Post.

When they do use other carriers, we hear about it when things go wrong.

Most of those problems have been with Intel and with Apple.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

All of them.. They say they attempeted delevery. and because of that it's on me. But they don't deliver to where I live. so this is not true.

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

Did you go to the Resolution Centre and open an Item Not Recieved Dispute?

Or did you phone some minimum wage clerk in a call centre in Utah?

Did you state in the Dispute that this was a GSP shipment?

Where do you live that "they" don't deliver? Most couriers will not deliver to isolated or even rural addresses but those then are given to Canada Post.  (We don't need your street address, but if you live in Old Crow or have a PO box, that would be useful to know.)

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

I live in baker creek. Canada post , Purolator, FedEx, DHL and others all deliver to where I live but not Intelcom Express. also I went to the Resolution Centre and open an Item Not Recieved Dispute. They said the seller provided tracking information that shows the shipping carrier tried to deliver. I think the tracking info they got was from the seller delivering they item to the GSP. There is no way the shipping carrier tried to deliver the package because they don't deliver to where I live. They never have delivered to where I live. They never will deliver to where I live. Global tracking #UPAAD000000048660500.

• Jun 11, 2021
  • 7:59pm
  • Unable to Deliver - The package has been returned to client
  • Baker Creek, BC v2j3h9
Message 8 of 28
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Unfortunately, there's two different versions of the tracking information for this shipment.

The first one is accessible on Pitney Bowes' GSP tracking page (https://tracking.pb.com).  This version suggests that delivery wasn't even attempted on the item and it wound up going back to the vendor (a shipping hub in the GTA?) because of a problem with address used for the item.

You'll see that that tracking page has a clickable link to the carrier's (Intelcom's) website.  The information on that site suggests that delivery was attempted before a problem with the address was determined.

I'm a tad suspicious of Intelcom's version of events given their track record and the the fact that their website doesn't even use the correct spelling of "undeliverable".

Have you actually spoken to a human being about this?  How you got your information on your lack of coverage under the Money Back Guarantee isn't very clear to me.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

Unfortunately, there's two different versions of the tracking information for this shipment.

The first one is accessible on Pitney Bowes' GSP tracking page (https://tracking.pb.com).  This version suggests that delivery wasn't even attempted on the item and it wound up going back to the vendor (a shipping hub in the GTA?) because of a problem with address used for the item.

You'll see that that tracking page has a clickable link to the carrier's (Intelcom's) website.  The information on that site suggests that delivery was attempted before a problem with the address was determined.

I'm a tad suspicious of Intelcom's version of events given their track record and the the fact that their website doesn't even use the correct spelling of "undeliverable".

Have you actually spoken to a human being about this?  How you got your information on your lack of coverage under the Money Back Guarantee isn't very clear to me.

That parcel, if it was sent out for delivery should have passed through Vancouver at some point in time. Baker Creek is north west of Kamloops totally off the beaten track. Problem being is situations like these they need to be caught before the seller ships to GSP hub to find out that there could be an issue with final delivery at the end because of either its remoteness or the fact that Intelcom has nothing in place to deliver some locations. Not after. Did they attempt to deliver? Probably not.

Seeing wishy washy scans is very widely reported with Intelcom. Had 1 recently. Out for delivery by 5 PM that day. Updated to 10 PM later that  day. Never arrived. Next day was updated to 2 days later ---> or up to Sunday. Huh??  Item never did arrive and had to request a refund which was given begrudgingly. (It was not an eBay purchase)

-Lotz

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

That parcel, if it was sent out for delivery should have passed through Vancouver at some point in time. Baker Creek is north west of Kamloops totally off the beaten track. Problem being is situations like these they need to be caught before the seller ships to GSP hub to find out that there could be an issue with final delivery at the end because of either its remoteness or the fact that Intelcom has nothing in place to deliver some locations. Not after. Did they attempt to deliver? Probably not.

Seeing wishy washy scans is very widely reported with Intelcom. Had 1 recently. Out for delivery by 5 PM that day. Updated to 10 PM later that  day. Never arrived. Next day was updated to 2 days later ---> or up to Sunday. Huh??  Item never did arrive and had to request a refund which was given begrudgingly. (It was not an eBay purchase)

Yeah, I'm looking at the tracking on the PB website now and I'm 99% sure it's not the same as the tracking I saw on there last night.  Dang, wish I'd done a screen grab for it last night.  I'm suspecting that somebody with Intelcom has fudged the tracking on their end, too.

With all the different carriers Pitney Bowes has at its disposal, I don't think it's necessary--or even possible--for this to have been caught prior to the seller shipping the item out to Kentucky.  In fact, the tracking shows that some sort of problem (or "exception") with the item popped up at the Global Shipping Center, and I'm thinking it has something to do with the item's destination address.

Googling a postal code for Baker Creek is a little confusing.  It does seem to have its own postal code, but I get a few results for a postal code that looks like it's associated with Quesnel, about an hour east.  I'm wondering if mail for Baker Creek used to be addressed to Quesnel with a Quesnel-style postal code, rather than the rural "V0" postal code it has now.  The item could have been prevented from going through the process for sending the item through Intelcom, but somebody did a bit of research, found the outdated Quesnel-style postal code and directed it through the Intelcom channel anyway.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

Yeah, I'm looking at the tracking on the PB website now and I'm 99% sure it's not the same as the tracking I saw on there last night.  Dang, wish I'd done a screen grab for it last night.  I'm suspecting that somebody with Intelcom has fudged the tracking on their end, too.

With all the different carriers Pitney Bowes has at its disposal, I don't think it's necessary--or even possible--for this to have been caught prior to the seller shipping the item out to Kentucky.  In fact, the tracking shows that some sort of problem (or "exception") with the item popped up at the Global Shipping Center, and I'm thinking it has something to do with the item's destination address.

Googling a postal code for Baker Creek is a little confusing.  It does seem to have its own postal code, but I get a few results for a postal code that looks like it's associated with Quesnel, about an hour east.  I'm wondering if mail for Baker Creek used to be addressed to Quesnel with a Quesnel-style postal code, rather than the rural "V0" postal code it has now.  The item could have been prevented from going through the process for sending the item through Intelcom, but somebody did a bit of research, found the outdated Quesnel-style postal code and directed it through the Intelcom channel anyway.

The "creative scans" have happened on CP for years. Delivered that doesn't actually arrive until later that day or the next day. Items showing as delivered on USPS 1 month earlier when the customer advises that it just that day arrived and how could they repay. As far as I know with Intelcom it is almost impossible to contact with them directly. Best you can do is send them an email and wait patiently for a response. As for this attempted delivery it shouldn't be this one and done or the requirement to pick up at their depot if you happened to be not home when they arrived. UPS/Canpar have been known for that. For many that is not a solution especially when they live in a larger city or a rural area.

As for Baker Creek BC, that was in one of the fire zones in the past few weeks and had roads that were closed. Appears that is no longer the case. On CP's status page there is a list of BC postal codes where they are providing free mail forwarding as required. Just have to register. Quesnel was maybe the end of the road for Intelcom. Even Google Maps only went as far as a drive way 3/4 of way to Baker Creek.

Yetta Rd - Google Maps

-Lotz

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

I am getting Baker Creek ALBERTA with a T0L postal code.

Any postal code with 0 as the second keystroke is considered "remote", as I recall.

Just to add to the confusion.

And yeah, creative tracking.

I just settled a Dispute for a INR, which was delivered the day after refund. (And the refund refunded by the buyer because: stamp people).

Canada Post had the package shipped on the 19th and received on the 26th and again on the 31st. Actual delivery? August 5th.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

The Baker Creek posted by the OP is BC. The one you found is close to Lake Louise Alberta. Sadly a fire there at the end of July.

Baker Creek Bistro goes up in flames - RMOToday.com

-Lotz

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Okay, I goofed a bit. 

A bit more digging reveals that Baker Creek, British Columbia, may be located in the V0L postal code area, but mail to that location gets addressed to a V2J postal code in Quesnel, where it probably goes to a post office box in Quesnel or a community mailbox in Baker Creek.  Intelcom's IT probably can't deal with a situation like that the way FedEx, UPS, etc. can.

Message 15 of 28
latest reply

Intelcom Express has no Infrastructure in the north. That why their the cheapest. I just wish that they didn’t lie about where they deliver to. I have the same problem with Amazon. I only get about half my orders because of Intelcom Express but at least Amazon gives you your money back.

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

@iglo_97 wrote:

Intelcom Express has no Infrastructure in the north. That why their the cheapest. I just wish that they didn’t lie about where they deliver to. I have the same problem with Amazon. I only get about half my orders because of Intelcom Express but at least Amazon gives you your money back.

When the buyer is paying shipping they  should know upfront who it will be delivered by. In dealing with a company regularly from Mtl they clearly explain the options. If I want to pay for express shipping I have that option. When I don't they they specify how it will arrive and I can be on the lookout when it's closing in. Flex Delivery with CP is also an option. In 4 plus years no issues to date using all of the above options.

-Lotz

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

iglo_97
Community Member

Well it looks like because of the GSP where I live Ebay is just a big scam now. I guess it could have been a more expensive lesson.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Sorry to be late to the party on this.  If eBay were a big scam, it wouldn't be here today.  eBay--either as a bot or as a human customer service rep--is simply following its procedures for undeliverable items.  It's unfortunate that the tracking information provided by Intelcom is ambiguous and could make it appear as though the problem with the address could have been the recipient's making, but when I look it again, your version of events does make sense with the tracking information provided.

Tracking.jpg

One of the things that I don't like about the tracking is that it makes it appear as though everything after customs clearance happened in Baker Creek, which, of course, isn't the case, and is likely what kicked the legs out from your not-received claim.

The big issue you're facing with the GSP as a buyer is that the program insulates the seller from any sort of claim like this after the item has been accepted at the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky.  You've been getting refunds for your unsuccessful Amazon purchases because you've been purchasing the items directly from Amazon.  It's different for eBay purchases.  

This sort of situation surely must be happening with other residents of Baker Creek who are making online purchases.  Perhaps you need to band together and contact the representative for Cariboo Regional District Area I about this.  I think you may benefit from having your own postal designation and postal code, even if you don't have your own post office, rather than having stuff addressed with a Quesnel postal code.

But ultimately, your beef is with Intelcom, and unfortunately your story is another one to add to the growing tales of problems with that carrier.

Having said that, some Intelcom agents seem to be more on the ball than others.  We had a nice one the other day who bought some stuff from a neighbourhood kid's bake sale.  I don't think it was the same one who about a year ago dropped a package off at the wrong doorstep even after calling her to get our location clarified.

You asked in your original post about your next step.  If you used a credit card to make your payment, I would try contacting your card issuer and disputing the two charges (the seller's charge plus Pitney Bowes' charge) associated with your purchase.  Good luck!

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

When the buyer is paying shipping they  should know upfront who it will be delivered by. In dealing with a company regularly from Mtl they clearly explain the options. If I want to pay for express shipping I have that option. When I don't they they specify how it will arrive and I can be on the lookout when it's closing in. 

It's a nice idea, but I don't think many online vendors would find that practical as the packaging and shipping could be contracted out and the actual shipping company won't be determined until the contractee knows what's being shipped and where it's going.  This is a big shortcoming with the GSP:  The program is heavily reliant on accurate information on the nature of the item, country of origin, shipping size/weight/destination, etc. and until the item is actually received in Kentucky, no human being is going to know for certain the best carrier to use because so many sellers using the program drop the ball when it comes to setting their listings up with this information.

Message 20 of 28
latest reply