Global Shipping fails again

We're used to slow delivery as one of the hallmarks of the Global Shipping Program, but how about no delivery? I recently bought a vintage Hewlett Packard calculator printer that managed to make it from Portland to Erlanger, KY before being stopped in its snail-like progress as Undeliverable, Restricted Item. Without further explanation I've just received a refund initiated by eBay. Presumably the reason is the large 4-inch battery pack used in this small printer which someone at the Global Shipping mistook for something else, though I've received three identical printers with their battery packs from the US without a hitch. As a result of this inconsistency I haven't got what I wanted and the seller has to start over again. Another triumph for the dreaded GSP.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Printer.jpg

This just in from eBay: "The item will not be shipped to you nor returned to your seller." Photo of the offending item is above. I hadn't realised 1979 Hewlett-Packard printers were dangerous cargo.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Did you let the seller know what happened?

He won't get it back, but neither will he lose any money on the transaction, because the GSP is a Seller Protection program. His responsibility ended at the GSP plant door.

You could ask him, if he has another, to use First Class International Package, which gives him the confirmation of delivery which likely his first concern.

You would be paying more for import fees, however, based on a duty-free allowance of $150Cdn and a tax-free allowance of $40, which Canada Post would collect on delivery along with a $9.95 service charge.

But it is annoying since, to the best of my knowledge, which is mostly guesswork, while some rejected items are sold on by GSP, most are going to the dump. For collectibles, this is really bad.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
As this is a carrier restriction rather than an import restriction, the PB minions are likely working off instructions from whomever would be transporting the item.

As there are a few new players in the mix when it comes to handling GSP-forwarded items in Canada, it may be that a different carrier than the one that handled your other three purchases was earmarked for your printer.

Given that much of the Intelcom website reads like awkwardly translated French to me, I also wouldn’t be surprised if their shipping guidelines for PBI also read the same way and are easily misinterpreted.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Just found this. I knew the shipment of batteries was complicated, but I didn’t realize HOW complicated:

https://tc.canada.ca/en/dangerous-goods/transporting-batteries
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:
Just found this. I knew the shipment of batteries was complicated, but I didn’t realize HOW complicated:

https://tc.canada.ca/en/dangerous-goods/transporting-batteries

Shipping of anything considered a hazardous goods is a major learning process. Has been since the 90ies (1992) when the regulations came it. Problem seems to be different consistent enforcement of those rules in different regions in the different industries .  Millions of packages handled by 1000's of carriers there will be problems. Throw it the added costs for doing everything by the book it is very messy with uninformed shippers either guessing or taking a chance.

I've seen trucks with propane tanks (Mb) in the rear compartment not tagged properly written up and fined  to welllllll, we just do it this way because it's how we always have......coming from small and larger sized businesses in AB. Where I have worked(since the regulations came into play) I had to be ALWAYS trained/certified if I was involved with anything considered hazardous. We were loudly advised ignorance or taking shortcuts was not an excuse. Any 2nd infraction for doing things not by the book was considered immediate grounds for dismissal.

When you have Joe or Judy that are not trained properly there will be problems. Lithium(etc) batteries being a component of many personal items has made things even more difficult and complicated for general shipping including repair and replacements. Older batteries/components (gas tubes etc) throw another wrench into the situation.

-Lotz

CP/USPS/eBay links on hazardous goods below.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/articles/non-mailable-matter/dangerous-goods-o...

https://www.usps.com/ship/shipping-restrictions.htm

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/hazardous-materials-policy?id=4335&st=...

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

When I saw the batteries in the picture I was like, "Well, there you go!"

It might help in future if you contact the seller beforehand, ask that any batteries be removed and discarded, and that the package be marked "No Batteries".

Are the batteries something no longer made? I'm old enough to remember the first personal calculators and I don't recall anything special about them.  (I also remember hoping to close my cash first when I was a teller to grab the sole electric adding machine instead of one of the manual ones with the hand crank.)

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

When I saw the batteries in the picture I was like, "Well, there you go!"

It might help in future if you contact the seller beforehand, ask that any batteries be removed and discarded, and that the package be marked "No Batteries".

Are the batteries something no longer made? I'm old enough to remember the first personal calculators and I don't recall anything special about them.  (I also remember hoping to close my cash first when I was a teller to grab the sole electric adding machine instead of one of the manual ones with the hand crank.)

@aramatic 

In these situations "usually" the issue is discovered when the item arrives at PB and  someone makes the judgement call to yay or nay it. Customer finds out in various ways, shapes and forms that they will not be getting their item. As noted originally, the last time the OP ordered item arrived no problem(Most likely because it was without GSP). GSP is really luck of the draw. This leaves the buyer having to start the process over again and ended up frustrated in the process.

I had an item stopped before (map) to be sent in a shipping tube because seller didn't realize tubes are extra to ship(GSP). Not dangerous...Just less profit for the parties concerned. I was refunded but took a loss on the exchange because of the delay it took the seller to realize it was going to cost more to ship. I was able to locate a seller who would fold it and send it letter rate for 1/4 the shipping with standard 1st class  intl.......Without the confounded PB handling charge. Crazy thing is it arrived in 12 days vs the standard 3 to 5 weeks most things can take with GSP.

-Lotz

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I feel compelled to respond to this comment since I recognize all of these names as members (based on what I have seen/read here) I feel are well educated business people with a wealth of knowledge.  Their replies and advice are part of the reason I come here to check stuff out. I would always value advice from those with lots of experience. Perhaps you only read comments about the GSP, if so note that these people cover everything on almost every topic (well at least all the stuff I'm trying to figure out).

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Considering your own replies history about this, it's safe to say your comments are biaised against it.  Like you only come here to post rants about it, never participating in a meanful and constructive way to help other...

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I bought a Ducati motor from an ebay seller in the US. I tracked the shipment and it just stopped somwhere; I was refunded and messaged it wouldn't export into Canada. Noone from Ebay could help me resolve the issue and the seller just pleaded ignorance saying the motor was basically gone. Either dust. 

Meanwhile I can't find answeres from anyone; other than to guess someone in the line was having a **bleep**e day or is just plain ignorant. No gas, no oil no carbs on it.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2021

The problem with zombie threads is that the information can be out of date and the advice no longer useful.

In this case, GSTis being phased out in favour of a new freight forwarding system which - and this is a BIG change- does not pay import fees in advance, unlike GSP.

And of course the new eIS system has startup glitches.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply