Global Shipping

gibbler
Community Member

Is Erlanger KY where they process your order under the Global Shipping program ? I recently won an item on ebay however my shipping address came up as Erlanger KY and I live in Canada. I was notified by the seller about this address and I said I don't live in Erlanger. As a result the seller cancelled the transaction and refunded my money. I also got my shipping and import charges refunded. Too bad because I had been trying to purchase said item for over a month now and kept losing out in bidding wars as I call it. My question...if Global Shipping processing is in Erlanger and as the seller was using the global shipping program, would the seller not have realised that the item had to ship there first and then rerouted to Nova Scotia ? Just curious. Not going to attempt to purchase anything else on ebay now without clarification, especially anything that involves the Global Shipping Program. Contacted ebay about this but they couldn't answer my question or tell me what the Erlanger address was all about. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Global Shipping

You would be surprised how many US sellers have no clue about GSP.  Many of them are opted in to the program without their knowledge. I have been buying from one US seller for awhile because they didn't use the GSP.  I went to look at some items by this seller & found that some of the listings have the GSP & some do not. I e-mailed the seller to ask if they have changed their shipping & they said they were not aware of it. Then when they tried to change the shipping on listings back it would not let them unless they put a weight in.  eBay is so screwed up.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Global Shipping

marnotom!
Community Member

I believe that a large number--if not the majority--of listings that have the Global Shipping Program applied to them have had it applied automatically by eBay.  There's a section in the .com user agreement that states that eBay will sometimes do this for listings that have no international shipping specified and the seller hasn't blocked bids or purchases from users where their primary shipping address is not located in the United States.

I have a feeling that your seller is one of those who hasn't been keeping up with changes to the  .com user agreement and has had eBay apply the GSP to that particular listing.  They probably didn't have a clue what was going on when they contacted you.

I contend that the GSP would probably be better understood, or at least expectations about its functions better managed, if it had been marketed as a forwarding service, but I guess calling it something like the Forward-Ur-Package-Service (F'UPS) doesn't have a very good ring to it.

Erlanger, Kentucky is the hub for GSP shipments.  It's officially referred to as the "Global Shipping Center".  The GSP terms and conditions page for buyers actually has quite a wealth of information in it that's also of use to sellers, who don't have anything similar as they're not the ones paying into the program, but it doesn't mention Erlanger by name.  The CSR to whom you spoke probably had similar information in front of them.

The GSP does have its place, albeit a very limited one.  After doing much homework on the program, I decided I could put up with its quirks and purchased two cell phones that were being forwarded through it.  It was a lot less expensive than the overkill tracked shipping methods being used by many other sellers and it arrived relatively quickly.  In addition, the customs clearance fees couldn't be beat.  However, I haven't purchased anything else where the GSP was being used because it simply didn't make sense to use it, and I think many other Canadian eBay buyers are finding the same thing.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Global Shipping

Seller ships to the GSP clearing location (one place for the USA and one place for the UK, both run by Pitney-Bowes). Item is processed and then bulk shipped into the buyer's country with border clearances and payments already made.

-..-

Message 4 of 4
latest reply