Global shipping program import duties

Why is the global shipping program charging import duties to Canadians on items under $200 ordered from the USA. The new trade agreement allows Canadians to purchase up to $200 online without being charge import duties and taxes. This seems like a scam.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

marnotom!
Community Member
If the item isn’t manufactured in the USA or Mexico, I’m pretty sure it’s still dutiable.

Also, items purchased online are still subject to HST or GST.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

It doesn’t have to be manufactured in USA or Canada. Just has to be purchased from a US retailer.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

What is your source for this information?
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Nope. Free Trade agreements are meant to encourage purchases of goods made in the nations signing the treaty.

Stuff made elsewhere does not fit that definition.

And generally, most of the "Import fees" are the Canadian sales taxes which are applicable no matter where the item is made.

There is also a ~$5.00USD "service fee" that goes directly to PB/GST.

If the seller doesn't specify where the item is made the shipper will make a fairly educated guess.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Actually, @femmefan1946, it appears that the OP is partially correct.  The de minimis threshold (of C$150)  is now calculated based on the location "of direct shipment," at least for items handled by courier:

https://www.canada-usblog.com/2020/05/06/what-are-canadas-de-minimis-thresholds-for-courier-shipment...

I'm not sure what this means for items shipped by mail, however.  In any event, the GSP is neither fish nor fowl (not really shipping by mail or courier exclusively), so it may be that the duty exemption doesn't apply anyway.

In any event, the de minimis threshold for HST/GST (and PST, if applicable) is well below that C$150 amount, so I suspect the OP is seeing "import charges" made up of estimated sales taxes and sundry clearance-related fees.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply