Has ANYONE had any dealings yet with a new Canadian eBay seller

A brand new seller has just popped up on eBay located (so he says) in Toronto, Ontario, with a ZERO feedback record and over 430 very different items in dozens of very different categories... each with very unusual and contradictory photos, ambiguous descriptions, and conflicting shipping information, all of it listed "Buy It Now" with free shipping...   and the default payment method appears to be from the buyer's bank account through PayPal.   Shipping is EXCLUSIVELY to Canada...  but all of the shipping information provided is boiler-plate lower USA 48 states stuff. 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It's always a good thing to check out a new seller before placing an order. I always do my research, find out what I need to know and apply my findings to the situation at hand. Because it's a sin to call out other members and/or discuss specific members in public forums, we can't discuss any specifics, but knowing you were able to get your own resolution should suffice.

Whenever you come across situations like this, it's best to just contact eBay and report your findings, and let eBay sort it out.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

IMHO do the research...check the internet using any one of those listing titles ...

The "terms of payment and returns" and other terminology and references are revealing...

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

a ZERO feedback record

Many new sellers have not done any buying -- or any research actually-- before they start selling.

Not unusual. A dumb move though.

BTW he could also be an experienced seller with a new account. I opened a new account last year and have less than 10 FB from buyers although I have had over 30 sales.

over 430 very different items in dozens of very different categories... each with very unusual and contradictory photos, ambiguous descriptions,

Sounds like a dropshipper.

He has taken his stock from a catalogue provided by a supplier and has no idea of what to sell profitably.

located (so he says) in Toronto,

Sellers are supposed to give the location of the product, not their own, because that allows the buyer to reckon on delivery time and the possibility of import fees.

He may be in Toronto, it's a big city, but his supplier could be shipping from Johannesburg.  Or Vancouver. EBay does not allow this, but it is hard to spot with new accounts.

all of it listed "Buy It Now" with free shipping...

That is actually the best way to list in my opinion. Many sellers would add "immediate payment required".

Auctions are terrible for mass produced goods and today's online shopper wants to see what it will cost on his doorstep without messing about with added costs like shipping and import fees.

Most newbies are not smart enough to realize this. A point in his favour.

and the default payment method appears to be from the buyer's bank account through PayPal.

The seller doesn't get to choose this.

The seller never sees the buyer's financial information. That's always been an important selling point for Paypal.

The buyer's account can be backed by a credit card, a PP balance or his bank account. The seller has no say in this.

Sellers cannot demand cash, cheque or money order payments, and have not been able to do so for decades.

Shipping is EXCLUSIVELY to Canada...

That's standard advice to new sellers. Don't ship internationally.

but all of the shipping information provided is boiler-plate lower USA 48 states stuff.

Yeah, he was dumb enough to copy and paste from another seller's Terms of Sale.

Basically what I'm hearing is that you found a newbie who has signed up with a supplier to dropship products which he has never seen and does not actually have in his possession.

He is at the beginning of a steep learning curve.

Nothing illegal (except the location of the goods-- which is a common mistake ) but probably not someone who will last here.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

New seller will walk into a brick wall  and will never know how to step back.....

Many new sellers make BIG mistakes.....  most interesting situation was a Canadian seller listing on eBay.com....... with domestic shipping as shipping to Canada  and blocking all international sales.

The best thing that we  as observers can do  is leave these sellers alone... They will commit suicide.... and not believe anything we tell they......  They are working on the principle that they know it all....

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

"most interesting situation was a Canadian seller listing on eBay.com....... with domestic shipping as shipping to Canada  and blocking all international sales."

That'd be me on .ca discontinuing international sales yesterday afternoon.

Good thing there's still a few Canucks on .com.

A lot of people aren't that savvy, and wouldn't know the difference until it burnt them.

All's been great, but I choose not to ship south for the time being.

"They are working on the principle that they know it all...."

Yup, I guess so.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@ducati860 

Since we can't "name and shame" fellow members here, perhaps you could give a listing number or a sample listing title that those of us who arrived late could check out for clues you may have missed or misread?

And back to the Paypal being backed by a bank account, this is actually the worst way a seller can get paid, since in effect the buyer is writing an "e-cheque" which has to clear the banking system, which takes a few days, before the money is received by Paypal

And PP has a Hold on the cleared payment for up to another 21 days.

Another dumb move. And unenforceable.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Perhaps an Amazon seller placing listings on eBay without cleaning up the listing info to be applicable for .CA?!!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Well.... what do you know !!!
I went looking for this seller today because eBay is asking that I "Complete the purchase" of his item ... and he and his items have disappeared from my recently viewed items.
The reason I asked originally about this seller (I named him in my original posting) and filed a complaint to eBay is that when I clicked on Buy It Now and attempted to purchase one of his items with funds in my Paypal account the transaction was blocked and REFUSED right in eBay. This has never happened to me before. When I clicked on the button to confirm the Paypal payment out of my own funds, I was told that the payment was blocked and that I should contact Paypal. Now I have a message from eBay requesting that I complete the purchase, with a "View Item" link to a page that says "This page does not exist". Curiouser and curiouser.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I can't give a link to any of his listings because....... they are suddenly all gone.  All 438 of them. Quelle surprise ! 

Checking my history in an attempt to revisit a few of his items I looked at shows that they are no longer there, and an Advanced "search by Seller" gives the result that there is no seller by that name.... and when I just now tried to access his items I got a window from eBay with the message: "No longer a registered user".  Elvis has left the building.

So I guess I was right to find his ambiguities and contradictions suspicious. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

It's always a good thing to check out a new seller before placing an order. I always do my research, find out what I need to know and apply my findings to the situation at hand. Because it's a sin to call out other members and/or discuss specific members in public forums, we can't discuss any specifics, but knowing you were able to get your own resolution should suffice.

Whenever you come across situations like this, it's best to just contact eBay and report your findings, and let eBay sort it out.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply