Help - Scammed by user

g5lover
Community Member

I am looking for some help with an issue but I can't seem to find a solution through ebay.

Over 45 days ago (I'll explain why) I ordered an item from the user listed in the subject line. After it arrived over a month later (Way late) the item itself was broken, I'm assuming there was an internal fault, the product was not usable.

After weeks of back and fourth emails with the seller, the best they offered me was a return address where I would have to pay to ship it back to so they could have it inspected. ($40 item).

I was unhappy with this result as it took almost a week for them to get back to any email and they didn't really seem to care, so I left them bad feedback.

After I gave them a bad feedback, someone else from the company messeged me and begged me to change my feedback because if a customer gives bad feedback, that person personally has their wages deducted because of it, they also assured me they would send me a new item if I changed my feedback and even gave me a tracking number.

After providing me this information (it was like pulling teeth to get the tracking number) I obliged to change my feedback as per their request (I said I would not change it until I had the number).

Well, its more weeks later now, the item still hasnt arrived, and after checking the tracking number they gave me, I noticed that it was a tracking number for an item that was delivered, but to a completely different city and address unknown...

They gave me someone elses tracking number to throw me off into thinking that my item was now on the way. I dont know what else to do as I cannot open a case against them.

Anyone have any tips? Am I SOL??

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Help - Scammed by user

If you paid with your credit card through PayPal, call your credit card issuer (800 number on your monthly statement or online) and ask for a "chargeback". Make sure you have all the information (dates, amounts, etc...) available when you call.

If you used money in your PayPal account or from your bank account, unfortunately, there is nothing anyone can do for you.  All deadlines for eBay/PayPal assistance have been missed.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

If you had bothered to read their previous feedback before buying from them you would not be in this position. That is what the feedback system is for. If buyers don't use it then part of the responsibility is on them as well.

Before I buy from anyone I read the negative feedback. If the feedback is negative (and I am not spending .99 cents on the item) then I don't buy from them. Also, if I choose to buy and the item is .99 cents and I don't receive it then there is no point filing a report with eBay as I knew the risk when I chose to buy. I'm willing to accept that I might not receive my .99 cent item and that is fine.

If you are spending money that you cannot afford to lose then always read the feedback before buying.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

They're feedback was really high and didn't give me the feeling that I would be scammed

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

The posting rules do not allow you to post the seller's name or any identification.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

They allowed a seller to falsify a tracking number and wont allow me to open a case because the seller delayed all of their responses until the 45 day deadline passed. Im going to be reposting the name every time it is removed.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Buyer beware!!!!!!!

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I didn't. The person who started this thread did. That is how I was able to look at their feedback. I'm saying before you buy check the feedback. I saw red flags.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I saw red flags, including what you were complaining about.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

So next time read the feedback, not just the percentage, but also the actual words to see if there is evidence of a weakness - Never arrived/ poor quality/ arrived broken/ did not answer questions. etc.

Also look at the Detailed Seller Ratings.

Any feedback under 98% is poor.

Any DSRs under 4.8 Stars are poor. 

Don't get into discussions with a seller. Ask for mailing date, shipping service and Delivery Confirmation number. 

If, as in this case, the DC number is wrong, start a Dispute.

If the item does n't arrive in 30 days from Asia, start a Dispute. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

"... read the feedback, not just the percentage, but also the actual words to see if there is evidence of a weakness"

I agree.  However, that would not help the next potential buyer much in this instance.

For example, the original poster posted this "revised" positive feedback for the seller referred to in the original post:

"Seller worked with me to get a new kit after the first one had a problem. A+++++":

Unfortunately, it was done before realizing the tracking number was bogus.

Sometimes, there is nothing one can do to avoid Murphy.  And life does go on.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply