Help - canceling and redoing returns request?

leow86
Community Member
Hi everyone,

So here's the situation:

I purchased a pair of glasses from a seller on Oct 11. Seller told me that it was in transit from their supplier. He shipped it out a about a month later and I finally received the glasses on Nov 17.

However, the seller sent the wrong model / size of glasses. I informed the seller and opened a return request as the item was not as described (I was worried at first because it said something like ebay protection guarantee had elapsed, but I called in the return and it let me process the request).

The seller is asking me to change the reason for return to 'item damaged' and is offering to refund me fully and keep the glasses. However, it doesn't seem I can change the return reason without canceling (and redoing the return request).

Is this possible? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Help - canceling and redoing returns request?

@leow86 wrote:
The seller is asking me to change the reason for return to 'item damaged' and is offering to refund me fully and keep the glasses. However, it doesn't seem I can change the return reason without canceling (and redoing the return request).

Is this possible? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated

This exact situation just came up with another buyer:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/How-do-i-reply-to-a-request-changing-from-no-good-to-dont...

You can not change the reason.  You MUST NOT close the claim.  If the seller is offering to refund you fully, tell them you would accept that but you are unable to change the reason and so once you are refunded (not before) you will close the claim. 

You can not close the claim and redo it.  There is no such thing.  The system will not allow it, and I believe sellers know this. 

It had to be something.  PayPal extended its timeframe for claims to 6 months, eBay made theirs a month after the LAST delivery date, so now these sellers are looking for a way out.  No surprise.  It used to be 45 days from purchase to file a claim, period.  They would delay buyers past that time with false promises of a replacement.  So now they are tricking buyers into closing the claim to "change the reason".  It never ends. 

But I digress.  Be very nice and polite when you tell your seller you can only close the claim AFTER you have a verified refund. 

And don't close your claim (since there is no "changing" it) until you have verified you've got your refund. 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Did the seller say why they wanted you to change the reason?  I cant see the change benefitting them at all.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Did the seller say why they wanted you to change the reason?  I cant see the change benefitting them at all.

It will benefit the seller when the buyer can't reopen the claim for any reason and the seller no longer has to refund.  Damaged or NAD, the buyer would still get a refund from a claim.  Unless the claim is closed. 

I don't believe a seller won't know that.  It is just the newest verse in the old song, "Close the claim and I will refund", "Close the claim and I will send a replacement".  If it is for those Black & Gold Statesman ones, its nearly $500 CDN, so it would be worth a seller's efforts to try anything to avoid having to refund. 

Also, if it IS for the Black & Gold ones, that is a lot of money and I don't believe the seller ever intended refund that much.  I am completely sure it is a trick so the seller does not have to refund anything, no matter what the item or the price.  That would be the result once a claim is closed.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I was asking how the seller said they would benefit if the reason was changed.  Perhaps their real intention was to get the buyer to close the request....but we don't know that for sure.

A PayPal claim can be opened after an eBay one has been closed or denied.  However, unlike ebay PP requires that the buyer pay for the return shipping.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I was asking how the seller said they would benefit if the reason was changed.  Perhaps their real intention was to get the buyer to close the request....but we don't know that for sure.

That's true, we don't know for sure.  The buyer needs to be informed of what happens if a claim is closed, all the same.  When a claim is closed the seller would not have to refund that $500, but perhaps there is a more innocent explanation. 

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

A PayPal claim can be opened after an eBay one has been closed or denied.  However, unlike ebay PP requires that the buyer pay for the return shipping.

Thanks for stepping in with that.  I was hoping someone would know for sure.  It's not something I can just "try out".  🙂 

However, all the more reason for a seller to get the eBay claim closed.  They won't have to pay rtn postage if a PP claim is opened next, and the buyer might not know enough to try PP at all.   I'm such a cynic.  lol!

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Thanks for the quick responses everyone; really appreciate the support and advice from the community!

I will keep the return claim open and ask for more clarification from the seller.  Will update when I find out more

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

If you close that claim then you loose the $500.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

leow86
Community Member
Hey everyone, so I emailed the seller and thus far I've not received any useful information (I informed him that I am unable to close the claim until I've received a verified refund, and his response is just 'ok').

So I'm just wondering what my next steps should be at this stage. So far I've had no refund or shipping label provided. I do see a return address when I'm in the returns claim; would Ebay refund me if I just go ahead and ship the item back (with tracking) to that address?

Obviously this is not something I'd particularly want to do, but is a CC chargeback an option as well given that Ive received an item that was not as described?

Thanks
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

At this point, you escalate from a Dispute to a Claim.

If the seller is refusing to send you a Return Shipping Label, he still has to refund.

He seems to be fine with letting you keep the glasses. (And I'm cynical enough to believe it is because they are cheap counterfeits.)

He still has to refund. No Return is not the same as No Refunds.

Don't close the claim.

Is he in Canada or overseas? It takes only a few minutes to make a Canada Post Return Shipping Label. There is no way for someone who is not in Canada to make a useable label. He would have to send you money for you to use.

If you return on your own dime, you will never see that money again.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@leow86 wrote:
 (I informed him that I am unable to close the claim until I've received a verified refund, and his response is just 'ok').

Then he is planning to ignore it and wait for the claim to time out and you get nothing.  I have never believed that seller ever had any intention of refunding the $500 plus letting you keep the item??  No way.  That simply never happens.

Like the previous poster said, escalate to a claim.  Say that the seller refuses to provide return shipping for a SNAD (Significantly Not As Described) item.  EBay policy says sellers are supposed to pay return shipping for a SNAD. 

You may need to call eBay and get them to step in for you if the seller continues to do nothing and you are still not refunded. 

The seller is in the UK so he is UNABLE to provide a shipping label.  That only works when the 2 people are both in the same country.  (this whole thing is designed only with American buyers and sellers in mind and so it makes a dog's breakfast of it for everyone else).

If you just go ahead and ship it back with your own money you will not get your postage back, but you will get the rest of the original payment refunded. 

You can call the Customer Service number for your cc and ask them but they usually tell people to send the item back on their own dime, meaning you get the original pyt back but not the rtn shipping. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Thanks for the quick responses again everyone.  

How do I escalate to a claim?  Right now the only options I see in 'Return Detail' are 'Contact Seller' and 'Mark as Shipped'.

This is the message I see at the top (which is why I was wondering if I'm expected to ship first?):

'Send the item back

The seller is responsible for return shipping charges. Contact the seller for a return shipping label. If they can't provide one, you can purchase a label, and we'll ask the seller to reimburse you.

Already sent it back?

It's important to let the seller know the item's in the mail and when they can expect it. Just mark the item as sent.'

PS: I'm also a bit skeptical and concerned too about the authenticity of the item he sent me...especially now given the lack of further communications from the seller.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Phone eBay using the Help & Contact at the top and bottom of the page.  It may take a bit of navigation to get a phone number but if one thing doesn't work, try something else.  The H&C is a terrible endless loop so you have to have patience with it. 

Tell the CS rep that you can't send it back because the seller has not supplied you with return shipping.  EBay policy says the seller has to pay return shipping.  Say that you are now being ignored and that you believe the seller is hoping to outwait you where they won't have to do anything, just keep your money. 

Have the CS rep look at the emails, especially the one where the seller promises to refund if only you will close your claim.  Show the CS rep where the seller says you will get to keep the item and the money.  Tell the phone person that the seller tried to trick you into closing early so you would lose your right to a return.  Explain how now that you know enough not to close the claim, the seller ignores you. 

It will take a bit of time but for $500 if you do nothing you will get nothing. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

There should be a time given there that states when you can ask ebay to step in?  If you can't find that time frame, it would be best to phone eBay about it.   Do not buy a label on your own unless the seller has sent you money for it. Ebay can ask the seller to reimburse you after you have purchased it but they can not force the seller to do so.  If you buy it on your own there is good chance you won't be reimbursed since the seller isn't cooperating with you right now.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply