Import charges are 0$$ with GSP????

So I won a dress on auction that costs 51$ usd. It tells me it will get mailed through GSP for 33$ usd and when I go to checkout it tells me imports are 0$ (????) it never happened to me for any purchase above 20$... is the system lagging? What happened? Will I get a surprise?
It also says that there are no additional costs at delivery but in Terms and Conditions it says “exclusions apply” and when i go read about it it says “ additional fees are on the buyer”...
Can you clear this for me? I thought GsP charge imports ahead that was their point no???
I am dumbfounded

Screenshot : https://ibb.co/M5N7tSr
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

More detailed pic:
https://ibb.co/kJYtt1g
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Where was the dress made? Did the seller specify?

We are all very aware of NAFTA, but the revised Trans Pacific Partnership covers many of the countries manufacturing clothing, like Vietnam and Singapore, and the recent CETA agreement covers EU manufacturers.

Which would explain why there was no duty.

There should be sales tax however and the GSP service charge.

It is also possible that the GSP fees were folded into the shipping, because $33 sounds high for shipping a dress.

Take a look at this, and make some guesstimates on shipping costs.

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

It costs about 17.25$
But just because they don’t charge right away now they might charge at delivery. No matter shipping cost.
Gsp is always more expensive
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I called them and they said it happens sometimes that random items have 0$ import fees. So just go with it and i will not get any more charges at delivery
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

That shipping seems high so the import charges are probably in the shipping amount.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

It costs about 17.25$

If that is in US dollars  it's over the duty-free allowance, and should be charged.

If it is in loonies, it's under the limit and neither duty nor sales tax is applicable.

**bleep** lex non est de ipsa vana. -- The law does not concern itself with trifles.
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

The shipping is 17.25$ If shipped normally without GSP
But the dress is 51$ and gsp shipping is 33$
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I guess so what is the point of including it in the shipping if they have a seperate section specifically for customs. And why in some other items they have customs and shipping seperate. So confusing
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

My ‘guess’  is that they are testing to see if buyers are more likely to buy when it shows 0 import fees and higher shipping vs the other way. Personally, I prefer that they be more transparent.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Agree with both of 's responses. This is something that PitneyBowes, eBay, or both companies seem to try every so often. This phenomenon is nothing new.

For a shipping charge of US$33 and change, you should be seeing import charges as being part of that charge.
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

GSP is nothing but a money grab by EBay.  Even after you pay the GSP Canada Customs can charge you import fees for your goods. BUT my experience has been that anything under $200 and used is normally duty free.  Books and all printed material shipped to Canada ARE duty free yet you will be charged for through the GSP system. And as I said anything USED is also Duty free shipped from the US to Canada.

Of course you will get sellers that charge twice the selling price to ship to Canada this is just another money grab from sellers who just don't want to sell to Canadians.

I will not buy from sellers who are not willing to ship an item to me with out going through the GSP. But I find that once you explain to the seller that the item is duty free for us they have no problem by passing the the GSP.

The payment of Canadian Duty fees is between me and Canada Customs and none of E bays  business. Especially when I can be dinged twice for customs fees when Ebay them selves say that can be the case. 

Everyone should boycott any seller who uses GSP. In fact I have started buying from China since most items are free shipping and I don't mind the wait rather than pay the Ebay GSP fee.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Even after you pay the GSP Canada Customs can charge you import fees for your goods.

No.

The point of the GSP is that the import fee YOU pay is used by GSP to pay Canadian duty and sales taxes.

If you have been charged duty and sales taxes on your doorstep, the seller for some reason bypassed the GSP and shipped directly to you.

Any import over $20Cdn is liable for import fees. Any courier, like UPS, or freight forwarder, like the GSP, MUST pay these fees.

CBSA gives postal imports a pass if they are small, lightweight and lowvalue, because it is more expensive to process import fees than could possibly be collected.

If you were charged AGAIN for duty and sales tax, first look at the tracking to see if there was a stopover in Erlanger KY. That is the GSP plant.

If the item didn't stop there, the seller did not ship via the GSP, although you paid for him to do so.

anything under $200 and used is normally duty free.

Nope. The duty free allowance is $200Cdn.

CBSA, as explained, makes an exception but still do assess and charge occasional items.

Books and all printed material shipped to Canada ARE duty free yet you will be charged for through the GSP system.

Perhaps, but sales taxes and service fees still apply.

And as I said anything USED is also Duty free shipped from the US to Cana

Nope. And sales taxes and service fees still apply.

Also.

The place of manufacture is what decides what is dutiable.

Duty free does not mean SALES TAX  free.  In fact, most of the import fee is likely to be sales taxes.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

The duty free allowance is $20.oo Cdn.
The $200 stated above is a typo.
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Well said!!!!
My routine before I bid on auction is ask a seller if they can ship directly to canada! Some say yes but others say they will not because of insurance purposes
Which is total bull**bleep**!!! I even offer to cover the insurance cost but they are brainwashed by ebay
Ridiculous!!!
Anyways i do BOYCOTT any seller that used GSP unless the ites is so amazing and so cheap that i do not care! Happened to me 1 time over like 150 transactions
Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Hey reallynicestamps
No please read exclusions. They say that technicaly the country can decide to charge more fees. I don’t really get this exclusion but it’s a technicality.
Message 16 of 16
latest reply