Impot fees paid but then tripled at my door.

Bought an item recently, global shipping program and import fees were added at checkout and alls well (customer for 12 years). Or so I thought. The day my item was scheduled to be delivered eBay International Shipping sent me an email expressing concern for their error, refunding the original import charges, and let me know if I have to pay more than the refunded amount eBay will reimburse me. The new amount is triple the original at checkout so my door knocker says. Now eBay refuses to reimburse me and blames the seller for this error. The seller says they did what they should and the item was shipped to the global shipping outlet and is out of their hands. I am refusing the item based on conflicting emails and chats with customer service, and find it unlikey I will get any refund based on the sellers response and eBays conflicting responses. I tried to request a refund but now eBay says I have a dispute on going with the payment institution. I do not. The seller has a no return policy to ad to this. Thank Visa for the dispute process, which I will have no option but file one now, or I doubt I would ever get my money, or be stuck paying much more than I agreed to at check out. And thank eBay for reminding me there is a dispute process. Last time eBay, this is twice now you got my back but do nothing other than blame everyone else. First time the seller sent me a damaged item, but did say they would only replace it if I shipped it back at my expense and once they recieved it. That didn't sound right at all.  I refused to pay more for the shipping than the item cost. I asked eBay to step in for a replacement as the seller wanted me to pay the shipping to send it back, eBay said nothing they could do because of the no return policy. Bye Bye eBay.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@russcotty 

According to the GSP help page something very strange if that happened to you. See below.

Benefits of the Global Shipping Program for buyers:

You’ll pay all shipping, taxes, and import charges up front, >>>>>and you won't have to pay any extra charges when your item is delivered<<<<<<
Tracking is always included so you can track your item right to your door
International deliveries made through GSP include customs clearance so you don’t need to handle any extra paperwork
Once you’ve paid for your item, the seller sends it to the global shipping center. From there, it's sent to you.

When you pay, your payment will be split into two transactions:

The first payment goes to the seller to cover the item price and any domestic shipping costs to send the item to the global shipping center
The second payment covers the international shipping cost and any import charges, if applicable
After you've completed payment, you'll be able to see both the total cost and the amounts paid to the seller and the global shipping provider on the Order details page.

Sounds like a similar situation to a seller trying to add additional charges to shipping after the fact. Strictly not permitted.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

eBay is in the process of phasing out the Global Shipping Program and its Standard International Delivery scheme and replacing both with the prosaically named eBay International Shipping.

It sounds as though you might have had the misfortune to purchase from a seller who was transitioning from the GSP to EIS and your purchase coincided with that seller's switchover period.

How did eBay want you to pursue the refund of the additional import charges?  I can't figure out who you got in contact with about this.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I contacted eBay customer service to get the refund so I could go pickup my order and was told it was the Sellers problem and to contact them, which I did. The seller denies it is their issue and told me to contact eBay. The email I was sent from eBay shipping went in one ear and out the other. Now I either have to give in and pay, and be out further expense and take the chance I will be refunded. But eBay blaming the seller and the seller is blaming eBay make my chance of being refunded zero at this time. I must of contacted eBay support 10 or 12 times and although they start by saying they got your back, it doesn't end up to be the case. And the seller has has a no return policy, which also adds to the issue. I refused the shipment and now hope I will be refunded for the order. My credit card says I will have no problem with a dispute based on the email and chat transcripts. This twice now in the last 2 orders. I was sent a supposedly new part which was damaged and unusable. I was refused a return and a refund because the seller had a no return policy, and eBay wouldn't do a thing about it. eBay is a safe haven for scammers and cheats, and eBay backs them. You got to love the greed, seems breaking evey moral and/or legal law has little effect on billionaires.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@russcotty wrote:

I contacted eBay customer service to get the refund so I could go pickup my order and was told it was the Sellers problem . . .

I suspect this is where things started to go sideways.  One can't get a refund for something that hasn't been paid for.  Since I can't see the email that eBay originally sent to you, I can't do much more than guess and speculate, but I'm thinking that you were expected to pay the new set of import charges before pursuing a refund.  Were you instructed to contact customer service about this?  Were you given a ticket or reference number for your case? Were you speaking on the phone to someone who probably thought you were overcharged customs because the seller overdeclared the item's value on a customs form?  I'm thinking that whoever took your call or chat misunderstood what was going on, or else because you hadn't yet picked up your item, there was no evidence that you'd paid the customs charges.

@russcotty wrote:

But eBay blaming the seller and the seller is blaming eBay make my chance of being refunded zero at this time. I must of contacted eBay support 10 or 12 times and although they start by saying they got your back, it doesn't end up to be the case. And the seller has has a no return policy, which also adds to the issue. I refused the shipment and now hope I will be refunded for the order. My credit card says I will have no problem with a dispute based on the email and chat transcripts. This twice now in the last 2 orders. I was sent a supposedly new part which was damaged and unusable. I was refused a return and a refund because the seller had a no return policy, and eBay wouldn't do a thing about it. 

A "no returns" policy only applies to situations where the buyer changes their mind once they've received the item.  Items that are damaged or not as described can still be returned at the seller's expense provided the buyer goes through the Money Back Guarantee process properly.  The way you're describing the second situation makes it sound as though it was a slam-dunk that went wrong.  How did you ask eBay to "step in"?  Did you file a case or claim first?

As for the first situation, I'm concerned that you may not have just shot yourself in the foot by refusing the item, but also blown it off completely as shipments refused due to owing customs charges are usually ineligible for eBay's Money Back Guarantee.  I have no idea if your credit card issuer will take that into consideration.

I'm hoping others will wade in with their perspectives on this.  In the meantime, here's an information page on eBay's Money Back Guarantee in case you ever find yourself in another situation where you'll need to make use of it:

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

eBay International Shipping is not the Global Shipping Program.

Does tracking show the shipment passing through Erlanger KY?

Look back at the original listing.

Does it say "No additional import charges at delivery!
This item will be shipped through the Global Shipping Program and includes international tracking."

Or is there some other wording?

Message 6 of 6
latest reply