Is This a Valid EMS China Post Tracking Number?

I bought something from China on Nov 2nd thinking it was coming from the US. When I discovered this, i panicked because i don't typically spend more than $10 (this order was $70). Seller seems okay, but I'm worried I've been scammed.

After 3 days, I didn't get a tracking # , I contacted the seller - no response. I tried 2 more times, no response.

On Nov. 8 I filed an INR claim. Less than 6 hours later I got a response to the claim from the seller with this tracking info:

Shipper - China Post
EMS Tracking number -
LY956950624CN
Shipping status - Shipped

4 days later and I cannot find this tracking number in the China Post tracking site. Also, I read online that EMS tracking numbers start with an "E" - this one appears to be E- packet - which I don't think is even trackable. Anyone know if this number is valid?

Should I escalate this claim now or wait a few more days for tracking to show up?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Interesting.

What was the estimated date of delivery when you bought it? Was it listed as dispatched from the USA?
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@teenytrinkets wrote:
I bought something from China on Nov 2nd thinking it was coming from the US.
On Nov. 8 I filed an INR claim. Less than 6 hours later I got a response to the claim from the seller with this tracking info:
Shipper - China Post
EMS Tracking number - LY956950624CN
4 days later and I cannot find this tracking number in the China Post tracking site. Also, I read online that EMS tracking numbers start with an "E" - this one appears to be E- packet - which I don't think is even trackable. Anyone know if this number is valid?

Should I escalate this claim now or wait a few more days for tracking to show up?

I'd wait a few more days, apparently EMS (in China) can take days to get that first scan -- but 7 days wait should be more than enough time to see something.

The first letter does not need to start with "E". According to chinapost.com:

format 5: the number starts with “L” and ends with “CN”
This is China Post ePacket parcel. It is almost as faster as EMS and only a little bit more expensive than airmail. However, ePacket service is only available to limited countries such as USA, Canada, Australia, UK etc.

All above tracking numbers can be tracked in http://track-chinapost.com

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Estimated delivery was listed as 5 - 7 business days, US site and $$, so I assumed it was dispatched from the U.S.. The PayPal email was dodgy looking, so I was thinking Uh-Oh...

So they provided an e- packet tracking number labeled as EMS post. That screams FAKE tracking number.

I'll wait a few more days, but should I call to escalate the claim, instead of doing that electronically? If it's a potential scam, should my suspicions be reported as such?
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

My personal opinion is that if sellers like this falsified info on where an item is, what else will they falsify?

There is a deadline for the delivery as set by eBay, if that date goes by and no package, then I would escalate the claim as the seller did falsely represent where the goods are coming from. When you escalate the claim, mention the fact your seller clearly indicated in the listing the item was located in the USA.

Now, if the item arrives, and it's what you ordered, you can simply pay the seller back. If it's not what you ordered, then I leave the decision of what to do .... in your hands.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@teenytrinkets

You can open the Dispute as soon as the date for delivery eBay gave you passes.

This may or may not match the 7-10 days the seller promised.

Then you have 30 days to open the Dispute for Not Recieved.

You are also able to open a Paypal Dispute for Not Recieved or for Not As Described, and for those you have 180 days from Payment, but PP wants you to pay for return shipping (on the NAD) which is expensive to China. You may have the US seller's address or be able to get it from eBay, in which case returning it to him may let him see what he has been selling for the first time.

But start with eBay.

And don't close the Dispute until you have the money in your account.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

ernpe_4444
Community Member
If my tracking number starts with AM , and ends with CN is it a fake?
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

You have responded to a thread from 2018!... More often than not the information in very old threads is outdated and/or irrelevant.It's really best to start your own thread to address your own issue and/or discuss a "current" situation.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@kh-phdan 

@kh-cathy 

Zombie thread from 2018!

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue discussing this topic.

Thanks for your understanding!

Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 10 of 10
latest reply