Is there safety using PayPal? Not always - read on.

I recently won a Roku 2 XS from an eBay seller in China who had GOOD feedback score (over 99) and no damaging feedback.  Within hours I receive an email from PayPal informing me that I MUST initiate a dispute as this purchase seems to be fraudulent!  What?  Why?  Because the eBay member closed his account shortly after my winning bid and AFTER I had paid him with PayPal.  No problem, I thought, because of the protection offered by PayPal.  Wrong!

As it now stands I am screwed out of the funds I sent the seller because in response to a PayPal dispute I initiated as requested, PayPal request to him send shipping info.  He responded with a tracking number and declared that the item had been shipped.  Well, the 'package' arrived and I immediately knew we'd been had.  It was an envelope containing a $1.00 cable, and I reported this (stupid me! My 2nd mistake) to PayPal and updated the dispute status because I HAD received 'an item' (not the auction item).

Now PayPal states that I must ship it back with tracking in order to get my money back from PayPal. 

So, what's the problem?  The eBay sale was for $27.00. To ship back the 'cable' to CHINA with tracking will cost me $56.00 and that means I'm screwed by the PayPal rules.

Buyer beware!

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Is there safety using PayPal? Not always - read on.

Sorry about your awful experience.

Since the problem was clearly created by PayPal asking you to file a claim, resulting in your loss, why don't you contact Darrell MacMullin, PayPal country manager.  You can reach him at:  darrell@paypal.com  and explain the problem in details.

Good Luck

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Can you repackage the item and take it the PO and mark "Return to Sender?"

The original packaging has to be in place in order to do that, but the tracking will show that it was not received by you.

Since the item has no value it's worth a try........... IMO.

It's not something that I'd advise in most situations, but in a case like this where you're dealing with an an obvious crook it might be a way to stay one step ahead of them.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Unfortunately, I had to sign for it so tracking is completed.  I should have refused to accept the package and then waited for the end of the expected arrival period and completed the dispute as "not received".  Lesson learned.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

I have already left an email in the "contact us" section of the dispute resolution but if I don't hear from someone is a few days I will do as you suggest and contact him.  Thank you for taking the time to post his contact info.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Only problem i*m is the buyer received the item according to the Original Post.

If it did come with tracking the item would be shown as received.

Don't think Return to Sender would work in this case unless it came sans tracking & even then it would be risky.

Again, another bad seller in China who seems to know how to work the system. 

Like Pierre mentioned previously contact management at Paypal.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Too bad.......... Chinese sellers can ship with signature confirmation for a few dollars.

Refusing to accept a package when the person delivering it standing there with toes tapping is very difficult to  do.

You don't know what they have for you, and they always make it clear that they hate to wait while you figure it out.

I always just sign.

Have you actually called paypal or have you just processed the case on line so far?

There is a very good chance that they'd issue a refund in your situation if you talk to the right person there.

They've helped me out a number of times in difficult situations.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Did not see the previous posts.

Sounds like you are doing the right thing.

Good luck from me also.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Only problem i*m is the buyer received the item according to the Original Post.

If it did come with tracking the item would be shown as received.

Don't think Return to Sender would work in this case unless it came sans tracking & even then it would be risky.

Partly right, BB........... the problem is that he signed for it............

With tracking, and a RTS............... the tracking shows that the item was refused and then traces the item right back to the seller..........

Trust Me:  It Works (might even work in this case even with the signature confirmation.)

For item with no value ............... what's the risk?

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Sounds like this could be another method for a bad seller to work the system.

Most buyers will sign for the package & are then very surprised upon opening the package & discovering what is inside.

I guess if you bought a large item & it was delivered in a small box or envelope i would probably refuse. Other than that it would still be risky.

Again some sellers know how to work the system. Bad Karma to them.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

paypal will give people back their money for these cases without sending it back.  Its been a common scam.  No doubt your item was at too good to be true price, and the sellers fb was for some very cheap item or private to hide that it was.  Single ids have taken 1000s of buyers doing this

Phone paypal and tell them as simple and clearly as you can what happened.  If you don't get anywhere hang up and call again.  It may take quite some time of phoning, holding and banging your head against a wall but they will cover it

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

OP, the problem startd with you thinking you werew getting a great dal The Roku sells for $99.00 and you paid $27. If it is too good to be true, it is. There are all kinds of threads on these boards about this type of scam. When you buy this type of merchandise from China dirt cheap, you will get burned.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

While I agree with you in principal, the street prices for this Roku have been as low as $65 in some internet retail vendors, so $27 was not exceptionally low.  I was suspicious but his good feedback coupled with my belief that PayPal was there to back me up made me (LOL) hit the button.

Live and learn.  This was not my first iffy buy (I've been a member of eBay for 13 years) and it was not the first to go sour (PayPal bailed me out of 1 other bad purchase) but I was reasonably sure that it was good.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

eBay also takes down listings if you put trademarks in the title.

It happens a lot to those in China which is why it was probably removed.

Though, your saying it wasn't as described but sometimes this is the reason for the email from eBay as they describe it as generic or not a branded product but put the branded name in the title without realizing it'll be taken down.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

Actually, it wasn't taken down.  The eBay vendor closed his account within minutes of receiving the PayPal payment - that is what triggered PayPal to declare the transaction 'suspicious' and told me to immediately file a complaint. 

Message 15 of 27
latest reply

The eBay vendor closed his account within minutes of receiving the PayPal payment

Unless something has changed recently, that isn't possible. Ebay can close your account instantly but it takes a while to close down the account on your own. I believe that ebay makes sure all transactions are completed and then waits a specific time amount of time before the account can be closed.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

I'm not suggesting you're wrong but that eBay account was gone within 24 hours as I checked it the next day and this is what I got:

No longer a registered user

so somehow he managed to accomplish it.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

that eBay account was gone within 24 hours as I checked it the next day

As I said, ebay can shut down the account immediately, so it was probably ebay that did it......but of course I don't know for sure either

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

So you found something that is US specific and costs $100 for $27 from China and you actually clicked Buy Now and paid ? Chinese seller has no way to get their hands on Roku (or any Apple, Google or Microsoft product for what it matters). Yes, these products are made in China, but none of them makes it to the local market.

No offence, but I think you deserve this. Consider it $27 lesson that will save you much more in a long run.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

Yikes.......... Whoa..........

We're all conditioned to believe that the next great freebie is just around the corner.

Cell phones for """FREE""""" if you buy The Plan and all that crap.

People buy into it all the time.............  never do the math to see that they'll be paying hundreds/month for a piece of junk three years down the road.

So why blame someone for believing they've snagged the best bargain ever from over there in China???

Especially when paypal promises an experience which is virtually risk free?

Message 20 of 27
latest reply