Item from US to Canada, customs clearance in US, Canada or both?

I got an item stuck at the USPS Los Angeles international distribution center for a week now. Tracking says it was processed there and in transit to the final destination. Of course that's not really true, and Canada Post doesn't even show the start of progress; still "waiting for item".

Does anyone know what's happening with my package, stuck in customs or delay/black hole? Also, I'm not getting a definitive answer to this. But does the item get checked by customs at both the origin and destination countries? Or just the latter, by the CBSA?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

marnotom!
Community Member

@rupeeclinger wrote:

I got an item stuck at the USPS Los Angeles international distribution center for a week now. Tracking says it was processed there and in transit to the final destination. Of course that's not really true, and Canada Post doesn't even show the start of progress; still "waiting for item".

Why can't it be true?  I've received several items where the tracking dead-ended at a USPS International Sort Center.  These items tend to be sent through mail consolidators and for whatever reason, their tracking information doesn't link up properly to the USPS and Canada Post systems.

@rupeeclinger wrote:

Also, I'm not getting a definitive answer to this. But does the item get checked by customs at both the origin and destination countries? Or just the latter, by the CBSA?

Strictly speaking, any postal imports should only need to be checked by customs in the receiving country, but there are legal provisions for US customs to inspect outbound international mailings if it's deemed necessary.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/19/1583

@rupeeclinger wrote:

Does anyone know what's happening with my package, stuck in customs or delay/black hole? 

Does it matter?  I used to be pretty obsessed with watching the tracking of my items.  It was kind of fun in a geeky sort of way, I guess.  But after a few shipments where the tracking dead-ended or showed some really weird information despite my receiving the item, I came to the conclusion that we buyers have been oversold on the value of tracking.  Most of the time, we don't really need to know what's going on with our item between points A, B, Q and F.  We just need to ensure that our items arrive within the stated timeframe on the listing in the condition the seller says that it's in.  Unless you're really worried about porch piracy (and you can use Canada Post's FlexDelivery service to combat that for mailed items), I feel that there's no reason to check on your item's tracking until the last estimated date of delivery has passed.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Tracking is a Seller Protection against false claims that the shipment has not been delivered.

It gives no real benefit** to the buyer. Perhaps emotionally.

Tracking shows the last place the shipment was recorded, not where it is now.

While duty and taxes are theoretically assessed and collected by CBSA, many companies do this for them. Those companies usuallly have a service charge (customs brokerage fee) added to the amount that will go to the Canadian government.

The one best known by Canadians is probably the Global Shipping Program, where import fees are collected before the seller is even told to ship. Those fees *are made up of any duty on items over $150, any sales taxes on items over $40, and ~$5USD service fee.

If you order from the LLBean catalogue, you will also pay import fees to LLBean before they ship to you, I've noticed.

** If you are worried about delivery when you are not home, look into Canada Post's free FlexDelivery service which promises not to deliver your package, but to leave a Notice allowing you to pick up at your local PO.

*For items from the USA as of July 1, 2020, as part of the latest NAFTA deal. Other imports are still charged based on our $20Cdn duty and tax-free allowance.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply