Item received after refund, should I also pay back to Pitney Bowes Limited?

Hi,

I purchased an item which did not show up within the estimated delivery date so I asked and got a refund from ebay. However, I received the item finally a week after the refund so I should pay back the seller. May I know how to do that? According to my PayPal transaction record, I paid an amount A (item price + shipping) to the seller and another amount B (import charges + shipping, not sure why ‘shipping’ splits into two parts) to Pitney Bowes Limited. Should I just pay the total A+B back to the seller, or should I pay the corresponding amount B to Pitney Bowes Limited (if so, how)? Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The refund was not given by the seller.

Her responsibility for delivery ended at the GSP plant door.

She kept her payment and all is well on that front.

The refund was made by the GSP/Pitney Bowes.

Now here is the ethical question.

It is not ethical to keep both the item and the payment.

However, PB/GSP covers their costs for lost and delayed shipments with an insurance policy, your refund actually came from that insurance company, and the refund was part of the insurance company's daily business.

I would suggest if you feel uncomfortable keeping both, that you donate to a charitable organization-- like your local Food Bank or one that is tangentially similar* to the purchase-- an amount equivalent to the refund.

*Your FB indicates you buy a lot of cellphone and related equipment. Is there a local charity that trains the underemployed in repairs to equipment or even just sales?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

The refund was not given by the seller.

Her responsibility for delivery ended at the GSP plant door.

She kept her payment and all is well on that front.

The refund was made by the GSP/Pitney Bowes.

Now here is the ethical question.

It is not ethical to keep both the item and the payment.

However, PB/GSP covers their costs for lost and delayed shipments with an insurance policy, your refund actually came from that insurance company, and the refund was part of the insurance company's daily business.

I would suggest if you feel uncomfortable keeping both, that you donate to a charitable organization-- like your local Food Bank or one that is tangentially similar* to the purchase-- an amount equivalent to the refund.

*Your FB indicates you buy a lot of cellphone and related equipment. Is there a local charity that trains the underemployed in repairs to equipment or even just sales?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@manchunalata-0 wrote:

I purchased an item which did not show up within the estimated delivery date so I asked and got a refund from ebay. However, I received the item finally a week after the refund so I should pay back the seller. May I know how to do that? According to my PayPal transaction record, I paid an amount A (item price + shipping) to the seller and another amount B (import charges + shipping, not sure why ‘shipping’ splits into two parts) to Pitney Bowes Limited. Should I just pay the total A+B back to the seller, or should I pay the corresponding amount B to Pitney Bowes Limited (if so, how)? Thanks.

You bought an item that shipped via the Global Shipping Program.

The seller shipped to Kentucky (amount A)

and Pitney-Bowes handled the rest of the journey and any taxes (amount B).

You should be able to refund the refund.

tyler@ebay 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Thanks. The very first thing I need to make sure is I don't owe the seller for anything. Yes I checked and my PayPal transaction record shows that my refund was made by 'eBay' (PB/GSP insurance company) not the seller so I think I can safely assume that side is settled.

Now for sure I don't feel right to keep both my payment and the item...so I'll take your advice and donate a similar amount to a charity, or giveaway one of my old phones. Thanks again and have a good day.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for the tag @ypdc_dennis!

Hi @manchunalata-0 - sorry to hear that your item was so delayed! For items that are delayed or considered lost in transit from the Global Shipping Programme to you we hold the international shipper accountable. That is to say, the refund came from us (eBay) not the seller you purchased it from. 

We don't expect you to refund that money - nor do we have a way for you to do so. While you are welcome to keep it, I really like the idea of making a contribution to a charity or organization you feel strongly about!  

Tyler,
eBay
Message 5 of 5
latest reply