Lot Listing - 3 /6 Harddrive not in functional - unresponsive seller - Advice appreciapted

I recently purchased a lot of 6 harddrives. after testing it for a couple of days after receipt, 3 out 6 are not fully functional (drop outs/increasing errors/etc). 

Contacted the seller for 6 days straight with 1 email every 2 days asking for advices, no responses. 

I personally just want a refund for the 3 harddrives and keep the other 3 that are in good condition. But if I have to return the whole set, that's ok too. 

I'm wondering which buttons I should press to file a case? Would it be the "Return" button?

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Lot Listing - 3 /6 Harddrive not in functional - unresponsive seller - Advice appreciapted

marnotom!
Community Member

It really depends on how the drives were described and sold.  If they were described as "for parts," then you got what you bought and you'd be looking at a return.   If the seller described them as fully functional, that would be a different kettle of fish.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. 

It is described as  

Condition:
Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

description: 
6 x 4TB SAS drives. Selling all together. They work great, were just pulled from a production server. 24TB total.

But I agree, if it is As-is, I usually expect it to have issues and not raised any action. 

But since it is listed as USED and described as fully functional, which 3/6 are not, and the Seller is not responsive to provide advice, I'm trying to figure out what's the best avenue for a solution. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I found the listing in question.  Unless they also sell under another ID, that seller appears to be pretty new to eBay and may be flummoxed about what to do in a situation like this and just hoping that it will go away if they ignore your messages as they have a "no returns" policy on the listing.  What that seller probably doesn't realize is "no returns" doesn't mean "no refunds" and that the policy only refers to remorse returns anyway.

By the looks of things, you're looking at filing an "item not as described" request through the eBay Money Back Guarantee.  I'd be prepared to return all six drives to the seller as they were sold as a lot.  If the seller suddenly becomes responsive, you might be able to negotiate a partial refund and return for the three drives.  If they mishandle it, their "no returns" policy may lead to the bot handling your request giving you a full refund without your having to return anything.

Other users will likely pop in with their own perspectives on this, so don't take everything I've said here as gospel.

EDIT/ADDENDUM: My personal feeling is that you should probably return all six drives. If they were operating on the same server, they'd be operating under similar conditions as the ones that are giving you issues and may be on their way out. It's sort of like having a light fixture with six lights; they don't all burn out at the same time but they all need replacement eventually.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, return the whole set would be fine. 

I'm actually looking out for the seller in some way as I'm also a newbie seller, I want to give him time to response. I don't want ebay to rule that I get the keep everything and still have a refund. But if the seller is not responding, that may be the outcome.  Hope he responds after I submit an official request and either give me a partial refund or a shipping label for all the drives. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply