NEED HELP - Fake MicroSD Card, Disputed, Paypal wants me to return the item with a tracking number.

x0pht
Community Member

So I bought a Sandisk 64GB microSD card for $30.  The card turned out to be fake.  Tried to work out a resolution with the seller, however the seller will only refund me if I return the item in its original condition.  The seller kept avoiding my question in regard to whether he/she will cover the shipping cost for the return.

Disputed with eBay/Paypal, escalated it.  Within less than an hour, Paypal decided to refund me only if I return the item with a tracking number - which will cost me $23 CAD plus tax.  This is obviously not acceptable.  I have all the proof, i.e. pictures, messages between me and the seller, and EVEN an official email from Sandisk support to back up my claim, but paypal doesn't even bother taking a look at them.

Now I have two questions.

1. What else can I do to protect my buyer's rights?

2. Isn't a counterfeit item supposed to be destroyed or sent to the original manufacturer? (Sandisk in this case, so they can take actions against the seller as they wish) Why would Paypal want me to spend $26 on sending a fake item back to the seller in order to get a refund of $30?

I'd really appreciate any input!

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

NEED HELP - Fake MicroSD Card, Disputed, Paypal wants me to return the item with a tracking number.

Ignore Paypal and go to the credit card you actually paid with. Paypal is just a very useful (and anonymizing) mediator.

Phone the 1-800 for the card and ask the clerk for a chargeback.

Have all your information including transaction dates, payments, and numbers handy for her to handle the refund.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thank you for the reply Ian.

Unfortunately I paid with Paypal directly (not credit card via paypal).

But updates from Paypal.

1. Last night I called paypal customer service.  The representative I talked to firstly said she would issue me $20 to partially cover my shipping cost, which I declined.  Then I suggested her ask the seller to take care of the shipping.  She agreed and said she'd update the claim details, which never happened.

2. So I called them again a couple of hours ago, this time another representative answered and was kind enough to refund me without asking me to return it.

I'm glad the issue has been resolved.  Now as you mentioned CC via paypal, actually I've been thinking about using that method since this incident.  I've heard that it's easier to do a chargeback with the CC company if one is screwed somehow.  I'll definitely look into it.

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 3
latest reply