Need advise about harassing seller

Requested a refund on a cell phone after receiving it, because the battery was poor.  The seller replied asking for the imei.  I supplied the imei as well as a photo and never heard back from the seller.  I emailed him again after 2 days requesting a return process and again never heard back.  I tried to call the supplied number and the call went to a voicemail that was not set up.  Opened a paypal dispute.  Waited a day and no response.  I left a negative feedback a day later and then 1 hour later all hell broke loose.  This seller has accused me of not following ebay policy and accused me of messaging him during his not in business hours.  I messaged him at 4pm everyday.  I called the provided phone number at noon on thursday.  

He was emailing me until after midnight friday night continuly accusing mme of breaking ebay policy and I clearly told him to stop messaging me and deal with paypal as this is in ther hands.  Saturday morning at 8:13 am the seller called my personal cell once I said you must be (sellers name) he began swearing at me.  I told him he was crazy and told him to go to hell and hung up.  He then called me 7 more times.

I need some advice on what to do about this kind of behaviour.  This has gone from a simple "I would like a simple return" to full on harrassment.  

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You  received an unsatisfactory phone.

You asked the sellers for a refund.

He tried to slough you off with irrelevant questions.

You opened a Paypal dispute.

You left a negative feedback.

The seller began harrassing.

Let's deal with the PP dispute first. *

You have to return the phone at your own expense to win the dispute.

If the seller has not responded in the dispute, you have to go back to it and escalate.

If you are told to return the phone use tracking and enter the tracking number in the dispute.

Keep an eye on it, and when it is delivered, go back to the dispute and claim your refund.

If the seller does not refund voluntarily, PP will and go after him for their money.

GET YOUR MONEY!

For the harrassment.

Stop any correspondence. Ignore phone call.

Delete any messages you get from him without reading.

DELETE DELETE DELETE.

You know his name, his ID, his email address (?), and his phone number. When you see those, you are not required to answer.

You can also Report him to his email provider and to eBay for the harrassment.

For eBay I would suggest the FaceBook account.

https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

BTW, if you back your PP account with a credit card, you are also covered by the card's chargeback policy. Do not start a chargeback until the PP dispute has been completed.

*Should we assume that you had the phone for more than 30 days, the deadline for opening an eBay dispute?

EBay would have told him to send you the return shipping, while PP requires you to pay for that.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

You  received an unsatisfactory phone.

You asked the sellers for a refund.

He tried to slough you off with irrelevant questions.

You opened a Paypal dispute.

You left a negative feedback.

The seller began harrassing.

Let's deal with the PP dispute first. *

You have to return the phone at your own expense to win the dispute.

If the seller has not responded in the dispute, you have to go back to it and escalate.

If you are told to return the phone use tracking and enter the tracking number in the dispute.

Keep an eye on it, and when it is delivered, go back to the dispute and claim your refund.

If the seller does not refund voluntarily, PP will and go after him for their money.

GET YOUR MONEY!

For the harrassment.

Stop any correspondence. Ignore phone call.

Delete any messages you get from him without reading.

DELETE DELETE DELETE.

You know his name, his ID, his email address (?), and his phone number. When you see those, you are not required to answer.

You can also Report him to his email provider and to eBay for the harrassment.

For eBay I would suggest the FaceBook account.

https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

BTW, if you back your PP account with a credit card, you are also covered by the card's chargeback policy. Do not start a chargeback until the PP dispute has been completed.

*Should we assume that you had the phone for more than 30 days, the deadline for opening an eBay dispute?

EBay would have told him to send you the return shipping, while PP requires you to pay for that.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thank you very much for your assistance.  I have only had the phone for about 3 days when I requested the refund.  I have reported him to ebay for harassment.  I have also blocked his number from my phone, and informed paypal of his actions toward me.  I do not plan on sending the phone back until paypal tells me to do so.  I have been following paypal on what to do.  

I just hope that this ends soon.  This has been my worst ebay experience ever.

Thank you again for your assistance

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

This isn't a defence of the seller, but I'm wondering if they were expecting you to go through eBay's Money Back Guarantee process instead of through PayPal?  Did you know that if you do return the item through the PayPal claim you'll have to pay for the return shipping, whereas if you'd done it through the MBG, the seller likely would have to pay your return shipping?

Also wondering how easily the phone can be taken apart for a battery replacement.  If it's not too messy a job, it may have been better to pursue a partial refund.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

He may have wanted me to go through the ebay return, but i clearly emailed him directions on how to do a return with him and no response.  Disassemble of the phone is a big undertaking.  

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

you should not have had to tell a seller how to do a return, and when you buy a used cell phone, a weak battery should be expected.  Don't know what else to tell you, but if you opened a item not as described through ebay, then your phone wopuld already be on the way back to the seller..

You may use paypal to pay, but ebay seller's are in managed payments. so it is much easier for a seller to manage a return through ebay..

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@josbogo-0 wrote:

He may have wanted me to go through the ebay return, but i clearly emailed him directions on how to do a return with him and no response.

You had to give your seller directions on how to process a return?  That's not your job.  Unless you meant you asked your seller how they'd like to go about a return.  Maybe your message to the seller wasn't as clear as you think it was.

Did you send the seller a link to this help page?

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115

@josbogo-0 wrote:

Disassemble of the phone is a big undertaking.  

Yes, disassembling phones can be a big undertaking.  That's why I don't do it myself and I pay professionals to do it.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply