Over Charged On Shipping

member987014
Community Member

Hi everyone

What is ebay's policy when a seller over bills you on shipping?

Right now I'm dealing with 2 sellers that over billed me.

I contacted both. One told me a week ago he/she said would reinburst me the difference but still havnt. I did PM the seller again. But so far wont PM me back. Seems like just ignoring me.

Another seller over billed me for about $20.00 (give or take). Now wants to bill me even more money even though the shipping was never even close to what he is asking.

Seller operates out of Florida but is claiming to be an attorney in Canada??

(Its only up until now I let the issue of being over shipped go. I admit I found it stressful dealing with the whole thing.)

I guess in the future I wont try to resolve overshipping with the seller?? I gave them some courtesy. Bad ideal or good ideal?

Any helpful and kind advices would be welcome.

Message 1 of 81
latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

Re: Over Charged On Shipping

I don't like to "overcharge" for shipping. I find it disrespectful to charge something like 20$ for shipping, knowing full well in advance it would only cost 5$ to ship it.

With that being said, with the few extra cents different in some cases, the buyer needs to take into consideration things like packaging materials, gas to get to the post office, time to package and in some cases - "remodel" a box to fit an item. 🙂

Message 21 of 81
latest reply

member987014
Community Member

Okay thanks guys.

Message 22 of 81
latest reply

I agree, and I have been including the actual paypal postage costs page in the box I ship.

The buyer see's everything I see and can feel confident that I have opted for the most efficient shipping.

In one case, a 550 dollar item sold on a BIN.  Becasue it is a semi delicate item, I added insurance and switch the shipping to that EMS canada to us one.

It cost me about 18 bux more, but I feel better knowing that the seller got a good deal on the item and I went over and above to make sure the item got there very quickly.

Message 23 of 81
latest reply

I agree, and I have been including the actual PayPal postage costs page in the box I ship.

The buyer see's everything I see and can feel confident that I have opted for the most efficient shipping.

In one case, a 550 dollar item sold on a BIN.  Because it is a semi delicate item, I added insurance and switch the shipping to that EMS Canada to us one.

It cost me about 18 bx more, but I feel better knowing that the seller got a good deal on the item and I went over and above to make sure the item got there very quickly.

Some comments to help you understand how to protect yourself selling on eBay in case you do not know.

Insurance is for your protection as a seller, not the buyer. You would have to refund in full to the buyer if lost or damaged. You have to wait for an insurance payout that can take weeks to get from Canada Post. But you will be required to refund quickly to the buyer from your pocket first.

For PayPal transactions over $250, in order to qualify for PayPal Seller Protection you need a service that provides Signature Confirmation.  To the USA, this is Xpresspost when using Canada Post. Again, using this more expensive service is for the benefit of the seller for protection from scammers, not the buyer.

So you should feel better knowing that all that you did was to protect yourself first and not for the buyer. 🙂

Message 24 of 81
latest reply

Hi, I agree that overcharging is disrepectfull but do you really think ebay has time to check every item for fraud, as this is  defrauding of the post offices of both countries Canada and USA. The only way to deal with crooks is to not buy anything from them and this has worked very well for me. I do not have any probelms with sellers on ebay.  Good day

Message 25 of 81
latest reply

People can pretty much charge whatever they want for shipping on eBay.  I've been buying lots of coins, often there's one stamp on the envelope, maybe two.  Yet the shipping fee is $3-$5.  I just factor it into the bid.  Shipping often bares no relation to actual costs, and in some cases, I'm sure the sellers are taking a loss on that part of it to gain higher bids.

Message 26 of 81
latest reply

Just experienced this as i just picked up a package at the PO.

Seller from US who requested a buyer to message him for International Shipping. Quoted me 23.00 with Tracking, arrived regular mail 5.75. Not bad a 17.25 profit.

Best advice please. What would be considered a reasonable partial refund?

Message 27 of 81
latest reply

member987014
Community Member

Thanks for your imput guys!

Message 28 of 81
latest reply

You don't know the whole story, postage printed on the package is only portion of the cost. What was the cost from the seller to the post office? Some may need to drive 50km one way under harsh conditions to reach their PO.

Ironically buyers never complain about being undercharged. "Hi Seller, I purchased this item using free shipping, but I can see you actually paid $5.10 to the post, so I am sending you additional $5.10".

Btw. why nobody tips eBay sellers ?

Message 29 of 81
latest reply

Actually submitted 31.60 to a Newbie who grossly undercharged for shipping after posting this concern on the forums a couple of months ago as i was feeling guilty. Requested advice & the rest of the gang felt it was the right thing to do as we were all Newbies at one point in relation to postal costs.

Again 23.00 charge & 5.75 cost. I would have no problem with the amount if the item was sent with tracking but c'mon a 17.25 difference.

Since the item was sent with no tracking i could see some dishonest Canadian buyers file a claim & say " My item never arrived & since there was no tracking thay would win a Paypal claim & still keep the item.  I'm too honest to do that. Karma would strike back.

Was just inquiring what would be a reasonable partial refund keeping in mind time & materials shipping from the Boston area. I don't think i am being unreasonable.

Message 30 of 81
latest reply

member987014
Community Member

Maybe its just me. I get the impression that most US sellers dont realize that there are cheaper shipping options than whats indicated on the ebay's US shipping calculator. Like a number of them seems suprise by it or dont believe you (in alot of cases). Or some (in alot of cases) just simply dont return your message.

Message 31 of 81
latest reply

member987014
Community Member

(Providing this is true??)

Okay I tell you wants been bothering me about this whole shipping thing since my old post. I have been abit cranky and havnt been myself lately. My apologies if I offend or have offended anyone.

I understand the desire for sellers to protect themselves from lost. As long as sellers understand the risk (but most doesnt seem to know there are other cheaper USPS shipping options). In alot of cases (more often than not from my experience) alot of seller sends it by the cheapest method and just pocket the rest.

Unessary higher cost doesnt encourage buyers to buy. From a business point of view you want to encourage more buyers to buy. Not discourage buyers from buying less.

In my opinion only, if US sellers arnt inform of cheaper shipping options outside of US ebay shipping calculator they should be. I presume easy enough???

I believe it will benefit:

1) sellers because it will encourage buyers to buy more from them

2) more sales will also make ebay more profits

3) buyers who will save more and have more incentive to buy more

I honestly believe ebay is losing millions of dollars.

I believe ebay can make more profit from a minor change.

Con: higher risk for seller

Pro. sellers get more sales from buyers

more sales from sellers makes more profit for ebay too.

Message 32 of 81
latest reply

Much like the other topic. Was charged 23.00 assuming it would be shipped priority, no problem with that amount, only to find it shipped via first class for 5.75.

I always refund the shipping difference as it guarantees repeat business.

Obviously a small minority do not. Just bothers me that they knew they grossly overcharged after paying & yet they feel no remorse.

Message 33 of 81
latest reply

The shown postage says the seller went to PO instead of printing label at home (low volume, perhaps new seller). He intended to mail by Priority, but postal clerk convinced him, the Flat Priority envelope is not faster to Canada than FCMI. Once money in hand, seller is torn between refund or pocket. Considering the OP is sensitive about the issue, I think wrong choice.

The question is what shipping service did you purchase and did you receive that service. If you purchased Priority and were sent by First Class, you were cheated.

I feel cheated and grossly overcharged by CanadaPost. Chinese seller mails 0.1kg parcel to Canada with tracking and over 2cm for 15 RMB (=$2.10). I have to pay for similar service, delivered by same postmen between $7-$20 depending where it goes in Canada and cheapest tracked service to China $71. That is some overcharging.

Message 34 of 81
latest reply

If you don't like the overall TOTAL price you would pay for an item (bid price PLUS S&H to YOUR destination) - then don't bid.

Nothing like simple...

Photobucket

Message 35 of 81
latest reply

In my opinion only, if US sellers arnt inform of cheaper shipping options outside of US ebay shipping calculator they should be. I presume easy enough???

I believe it will benefit:

1) sellers because it will encourage buyers to buy more from them

2) more sales will also make ebay more profits

3) buyers who will save more and have more incentive to buy more

If you are saying that the ebay shipping calculator does not give U.S. sellers the lower priced internatonal shipping options, that is incorrect. Those options are there but some sellers choose not to use them or they "think" that they can't use them because they don't have delivery confirmation.

The shown postage says the seller went to PO instead of printing label at home

Paypal/USPS gives sellers the option of showing the postage price on the paypal printed labels so the price being on the shipping label does not mean that the label was printed at the post office.

Message 36 of 81
latest reply

If you don't like the overall TOTAL price you would pay for an item (bid price PLUS S&H to YOUR destination) - then don't bid.

Nothing like simple...

That does sound simple and I think that it is a good philosophy to have...

But...it is about  buyers expectations. If a listing states that the item is $40 and the shipping is $25 many buyers are going to assume that $25 includes the cost of postage and shipping materials. Most realize that the seller will be making a profit on the item cost but most expect the shipping charged to be close to the actual postage cost.

If the package shows up with $3 postage on it..most buyers are going to feel that they were taken advantage of and I don't really blame them. Yes, they agreed to that total price...but no..they don't have to like it. As far as being entitled to a partial shipping refund.....technically they aren't, as they agreed to that price but I don't think that there is anything wrong with asking.

An important part of any customer related business is to manage your customer's expectations. Sending a box with $3 postage and charging $25 is not the best way of doing that. I'm not saying that sellers should not make anyl profit on postage but its not smart to be so blatant about it.

When a buyer feels ripped off, that reflects on all ebay sellers. So....maybe it really isn't as simple as some suggest.

Message 37 of 81
latest reply

Obviously this did not constitute a reflection of all eBay sellers. There are still a lot of honest ones out there.

Sent the seller a nice message yesterday inquiring about the difference between the quoted & the actual postage.

Seller left a nice message this morning & refunded me 15.00 on shipping leaving him with a him with a 2.25 profit on shipping which is fair enough for him i guess.

Never requested a dollar amount, he just refunded this amount on his own.

I guess if you send a nice message, instead of threatening one some, but not all, sellers are willing to make things right.

Message 38 of 81
latest reply

member987014
Community Member

"If you don't like the overall TOTAL price you would pay for an item (bid price PLUS S&H to YOUR destination) - then don't bid.

Nothing like simple..."

The problem is its like 80% of US sellers are over charging on shipping.

With books from US sellers its rampant. The average shipping cost according the US ebay's shipping calculator is $12.00+

But what happens more often than not when you get the book the shipping is usually around under $6.00. This happens alot.

Thats why I rarely buy from US buyers for books.

As I said befor it doesnt seem that US sellers knows that there are cheaper shipping methods than whats indicated on the US shipping calculator. To repat myself. Many seem suprise, thinks your mistaken or dont message you back when you tell them this. This happens alot.

All ebay has to do is inform sellers that there are cheaper shipping optiions its just they wont be protected. but at the same time this may increase sales. (I'm repeating myself again).

Once again I think its costing ebay millions in lost revenue.

Unless you buy from th US alot you would know this.

More often than not the shipping is off. And often not by a small amount.

Message 39 of 81
latest reply

member987014
Community Member

"If you are saying that the ebay shipping calculator does not give U.S. sellers the lower priced internatonal shipping options, that is incorrect."

I was asking about it.

From my experience alot fo sellers seems suprise when you tell them there are cheaper shipping options.

And quite often (often enough) when I get the item, the shipping on the package is considerable cheaper than what I was invoice with.

It happens alot. Thats why I tend to avoid US selelrs especially for books.

"Those options are there but some sellers choose not to use them or they "think" that they can't use them because they don't have delivery confirmation."

Right now I believe ebay is losing millions in lost revenue because of US sellers not being inform enough about it.

I honestly think then ebay should tutor US sellers that they can use them (without delivery confirmation). Even though it is more risky I believe it will increase more transactions and make ebay more money.

sellers -happier because of more buyers buying

buyers -happier because they will have more cash on hand

to  buy more items

ebay- happier because the increse in transactions will make 

them more profits

Message 40 of 81
latest reply