PAYING DUTIES ONLINE IN ADVANCE

This is the first time I paid my duty and taxes online so the Postman can leave my package at the house without collecting Customs Fees and/or leaving Delivery Notice Card.

The way Canada Post has worded this after you pay is the Postman still might leave a Deliver Card Notice if I'm not home or you might still need to show Payment Confirmation if I happen to be home when the package is delivered.

So basically there is no social distancing adhered to unless the package is dropped off at the door without any further contact because my Custom Fees on the package were already paid for in advance.

Time will tell how this scenario plays out.....    

Pay your duty and taxes online now

Your parcel has been assessed for duty and/or taxes by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). Pay online now for a limited time.

We encourage you to pay your duty and/or taxes online so we can leave the item at your door. This will reduce visits to the post office and help keep our people and communities safe during the COVID-19 situation.

Duty and taxes owing:
$70.82 CAD

Your receipt for duty and taxes

Thank you for paying your duty and/or taxes online.

Proof of payment

Use the barcode or the confirmation number below as your proof of payment. Show either of them to the delivery agent or at the post office if requested.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

My carrier will ring the doorbell and then scuttles a few feet away when she leaves me a package.

She did leave a notice last week rather than the package.

Social distancing at our postal outlet is catch as catch can, since fewer than half the (quite elderly) people in the pharmacy are masked and the line up is along the entry aisle in front of the toothpaste and stationery.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Well, this is the first time I paid for my custom fees in advance. We'll see how it plays out.... I usually don't like to pay custom fees until I have the package in front of me. 

I'm hoping the package is delivered to the house without any further steps needed. If I get a delivery notice in the mail or have to present a payment receipt to the Postman before the package is released then there is no advantage to paying your custom fees early. 

I like how Canada Post changes their message after I pay....  

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

This is interesting... I checked the tracking number on the Canada Post website. It shows the customs fees as paid.

Delivery progress

Information updated: Sept. 22

Date Time Progress Sept. 22 5:57 am

Item processed
Winnipeg, MB

Sept. 21 8:08 pm

Duty and taxes paid online

3:38 pm

Item processed
Mississauga, ON

11 am

International item released from Customs for processing by Canada Post
Mississauga, ON

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I paid for mine once in advance with FedEx so they could porch drop my package, and they told me that the driver would get a notice the next day when he attempted delivery again, saying they were paid. He did not. Luckily I was at home, and offered to give him the confirmation number. He said he believed me and handed over the package.

??????
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

By 2022-23 ALL and EVERY transaction conducted on-line will be taxed and tagged by the CRA...

...they will use that BASIC INCOME as the fishing line and the FREE money as the bait to weed out the "Undesirables" 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply