Paid $7499 USD, Am Canadian, Seller Cancelled, Refund Dings me for $300-$600 CAD? What can I do?

I bought a synthesizer for $7499 USD and seller cancelled a few hours later.  Synth was originally $7100 and he added $399 for the global shipping.

Paypal refund in progress, but I'm going to be charged a bad rate to go from CAD to USD and then USD back to CAD -- how is this fair? I might be out between $300 and $600 BUCKS!

And the seller isn't responding to any messages.

Anything I can do except swear off of eBay? I keep getting ripped off. Am sad 😞

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Paid $7499 USD, Am Canadian, Seller Cancelled, Refund Dings me for $300-$600 CAD? What can I do?

I'm not sure what the $300-$700 might be.

If the seller were using the GSP, those "import fees" which cover duty, sales tax and a small service charge, would be refunded separately.

If the question is currency exchange, the loonie has dropped in the past few days ( The highest was on June 10 at 74.6 c US =$1.00Cdn and today was 73.6c-- https://www.exchange-rates.org/history/USD/CAD/T)

but only about one cent on the US dollar.

Are you confused by the two currencies having the same name?  If you buy in US dollars and are refunded in loonies (see- different name) there will be a difference but not as much as $300.

Paypal will charge your seller fees on your payment, but that doesn't usually affect you. Those fees are about 4.4% from your non-US account. Again that is a fee your seller pays. Paypal is free to the buyer.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Different question.

What reason did the seller give for cancellation?

Does he not ship to Canada? Did you ask if he did before buying?

If he doesn't want to ship to Canada, but does not actually Block Canadian buyers, you would have been told to ask the seller for the shipping cost before buying.

When the GSP is involved, he does not set the "shipping" fee. He only pays to deliver the purchase to the ErlangerKY plant. The rest is GSP import fees.

Did he say it was Buyer Request? Did you request the cancellation?

If you did not you can appeal to Trust and Safety at the bottom of this page?

Did he say he was Out Of Stock?

He gets a Defect on his selling account and does not get his substantial selling fee back-  in the neighbourhood of $750.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

"Paypal refund in progress, but I'm going to be charged a bad rate to go from CAD to USD and then USD back to CAD -- how is this fair? I might be out between $300 and $600 BUCKS!"

You will get refunded exactly what you paid and the Canadian dollar amount you paid that day will be what gets refunded to the payment source you used as long as the seller uses the refund link in the transaction. I hope they didn't send you a completely different payment as a separate transaction.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

rawx4u
Community Member

No, sorry but these infos are misleading, I had a seller who canceled a transaction 2 days ago and I've also received 2 conversion fees: one when I bought the item using CAD with credit card, and another conversion fee at the moment the seller refunded me (without my conscent) I received, in all, 60$CAD of fees. (300$ item+400$ shipping)
One of the activity was obviously "unauthorized" I'll call them tomorrow and do everything I can to get a refund at least for that one! Grrr😖

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 6 of 6
latest reply