Paypal and US funds

Got this email today. Sellers cannot directly accept Paypal, but buyers can still use it.

This is another situation.

Starting soon, all of your transactions will be automatically converted into USD

Here's what you need to know and how to make a change

We are making changes to our Payment Receiving Preference options that apply when you receive a transaction that is not in USD. To make managing your account easier, if you receive transactions in another currency, starting on September 11, 2023, these transactions will be automatically converted into USD using PayPal's currency conversion rate. If you would like to change this preference so these transactions are not automatically converted into USD, please update your preference before September 11, 2023.

To review your options and to make a change, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Go to your name on the home page, and choose Account Settings from the drop-down menu.
  3. In Account & Security, choose Payment preferences.
  4. In Block payments, choose Update.
  5. Review updated preferences and edit if required. We'll automatically save your new preferences.

If you do not make a change to your preference by September 11, 2023, all future transactions will be automatically converted into USD, starting September 11, 2023.

And of course, if you hold balances in multiple currencies in your PayPal account, you can convert these to your primary account currency or any other holding currency at any time on the Money page in your PayPal account.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Paypal and US funds

have not received any communication from PayPal regarding this, but since I use PayPal for only one purpose & that being accepting PayPal as a payment method on another selling site where I list/sell and that site is USA based and listings are USD....so if I am interpreting this correctly I should have no concerns...

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Paypal and US funds

No, I think "receiving transactions" means "receiving payments".

And any non-US payments we get will be converted unless we act.

I'm the same, not a problem for eBay sales, but important for non-eBay transactions where most of my customers are in Canada.

And I think a large percentage of eBay sellers are selling on other sites which do accept Paypal.

What it means when our Canadian eBay customers pay in loonies for a listing in USD on dotCOM, I have no idea.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the shortlived disappearance of PP as an accepted method of payment earlier today (fixed now apparently).

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Paypal and US funds

I'm assuming this only applies if you list on .com, I only list on .ca?? Or does it apply on both if US buyer is paying??

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Paypal and US funds

I didn't get an email so I'm thinking it doesn't apply to .ca only sellers.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Paypal and US funds

@msau4301 wrote:

I didn't get an email so I'm thinking it doesn't apply to .ca only sellers.

Unless those .ca sellers are also selling on venues where direct PayPal payments are a thing.  PayPal's "payment receiving preferences" wouldn't apply to a PayPal payment made through Managed Payments.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Paypal and US funds

Thanks for clarifying marnotom, I use PayPal often for buying stuff, but not for receiving since Managed Payments so guess it wouldn't apply to me. Nor would it affect potential buyers here.

I misinterpreted original post as an email they got from eBay, that's why I was confused, my bad.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Paypal and US funds

@msau4301 wrote:

I misinterpreted original post as an email they got from eBay, that's why I was confused, my bad.

No worries.  I was initially confused as well, to be honest.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Paypal and US funds

That confusion is on me.

Apologies all around.

Something for those of us who sell on multiple platforms to be aware of.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply