Possible Fraud "Delivered to address other than recipient"

Hello all. I recently made a purchase and I'm fairly certain at this point I've been had. I purchased a Honda Inverter Generator from a Canadian seller (I'm also Canadian). No cross border shipping, just Fedex Express Shipping. I paid with Paypal right after my offer was accepted like I always do and the item was shipped a couple of days later with a working tracking number. A couple of days after that, this last Thursday, the item was shown as "Delivered - Delivered to address other than recipient". I went to my local Canada Post because that is typically the default go-to its when its not on my doorstep. Nothing. So i went back online, and interestingly, the seller, who had previously had a perfect rating, now had 4 new negative ratings. The same amount as the amount of generators he had for sale (plus mine). And he had turned his feedback viewership to Private. My guess is that the other buyers had the same experience. As of yet, all I've done is message him, with no replies so far (no surprise).  My question is will I have any chance of having my money returned or did I get made a fool?

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Possible Fraud "Delivered to address other than recipient"

How does your post helps the OP in any way?
Message 21 of 33
latest reply

I would presume Fedex wouldn't hand it to CP.

FedEx (and UPS and CanPar and and and) subcontract shipping to Canada Post all the time.

The private couriers only ship to profitable locations, mostly urban/suburban.

If the address is rural or isolated, the private couriers sub-contract to Canada Post.

Canada Post delivers everywhere, is cheaper than the couriers, has a well -paid unionized workforce, and hands its considerable profits over to the Canadian Treasury.

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

Alright well I filed a claim with eBay and followed the steps. My claim was based on not receiving the item. The seller hasn't replied to any messages at all, and now I've moved to the next step of getting eBay to step in. Hopefully they can help me out on this one. It's more money than I can afford to give away for no reason.

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

Well they reviewed the case and decided I don't get a refund. Good to know that eBay buyer protection is useful. Thanks to everyone that tried to help.

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

Now you move on to Paypal.

The Paypal Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

Again, theConfirmation of Delivery may work against you.

And finally, if that doesn't work, you phone the 1-800 number on the back of the credit card you use to back your PP account about a chargeback. Card policies differ, but have your dates, payment amounts, currency, and transaction numbers handy.

Best wishes. Wish we could help more.

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

Alright, I can definitely give that a go. Hey, any help is fine by me, nobody here is required to do anything, so I appreciate any information I can get.

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

This seems fishy. What does it say when you check the tracking number at www.canadapost.ca ?

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

Oh trust me, I've had reservations this whole time, haha. The website says that the a notice has been left for me to pick the item up. Standard operating procedure. But that notice has been there for 2 weeks and the post office has no idea where the notice or the package is. This could potentially all be chalked up to the current COVID situation, I get that, but something is off about the seller. Like I said earlier, hasn't replied once, took his 'for sale' items down, and a sudden influx of negative feedback on his profile. At this point even if I never get the item or the money, I'd just like to know what actually happened. But I'll try to get my money back for now.

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

It seems he has mailed some empty boxes to his buddy that "never got picked up". This makes tracking look like it was delivered to you and all the other buyers that got hit.
Message 29 of 33
latest reply

The tracking says its here, so I don't know how it works. He's in Quebec, I'm in Alberta. But yeah, time will tell I guess. Hopefully it just got caught up in the chaos of the virus situation.

Message 30 of 33
latest reply

Any news on this?

Message 31 of 33
latest reply

Nothing so far. I sent a claim to PayPal and the seller has till May 11 to reply. I don’t know, could just be the mess that is Canada Post right now, but I also did a google search for the images he used in the listing, and they came from listings on local buy and sell websites from the US, dated a couple of years ago. I don’t have my hopes up, but all I can do is wait now.
Message 32 of 33
latest reply

Just got the email from Paypal denying my claim due to the tracking information saying delivered. Can't say I didn't expect it, but it's still disappointing. I guess that's that, now all I can due is hope the package is real and stuck in the mail somewhere. It's been over a month though, so I'm thinking the chances are slim. Thanks to the people that tried to help me with the issue.

Message 33 of 33
latest reply