Possible Fraud "Delivered to address other than recipient"

Hello all. I recently made a purchase and I'm fairly certain at this point I've been had. I purchased a Honda Inverter Generator from a Canadian seller (I'm also Canadian). No cross border shipping, just Fedex Express Shipping. I paid with Paypal right after my offer was accepted like I always do and the item was shipped a couple of days later with a working tracking number. A couple of days after that, this last Thursday, the item was shown as "Delivered - Delivered to address other than recipient". I went to my local Canada Post because that is typically the default go-to its when its not on my doorstep. Nothing. So i went back online, and interestingly, the seller, who had previously had a perfect rating, now had 4 new negative ratings. The same amount as the amount of generators he had for sale (plus mine). And he had turned his feedback viewership to Private. My guess is that the other buyers had the same experience. As of yet, all I've done is message him, with no replies so far (no surprise).  My question is will I have any chance of having my money returned or did I get made a fool?

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Start by opening an "Item not received" claim, as I am sure those other Buyers have done.

You did not receive the item, the delivery says as such. 

Follow the instructions... 

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

The Seller must mail the parcel using the address present  with the Paypal payment record.

The address on Paypal for this transaction will always be the same as the address on the eBay record.

This will only occur if Paypal was used to pay for the purchased item

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

Yeah I might have to go that route. The only thing I'm worried about is that they might side with the seller because the package shows "delivered". I read somewhere that can be an issue.
Message 4 of 33
latest reply

I've emailed Fedex asking for more information. Hopefully they can shed some light on the delivery issue.
Message 5 of 33
latest reply

Small update. Fedex Canada emailed me back this morning and gave me a Canada Post tracking number. So hopefully on Monday i have time to go in and get some more package information.
Message 6 of 33
latest reply

Check the tracking number on Canada Post's Website.....

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/tools.page

... and follow the instructions.....

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

INR... "Delivered to address other than recipient"

Someone must know the "address other than recipient", so that recipient can be contacted.

I'm curious who made the determination to "Delivered to address other than recipient."

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

That's the first thing I did. It said the same thing it always does. A parcel card was left in my mailbox indicating I have a package to pick up. Except I still don't have a parcel card. I'll go in as soon as they are open again, and see if they can help me.
Message 9 of 33
latest reply

I wouldn't put too much stock in that. I live in a small community and all Canada Post parcels go to the post office, where a parcel card is left in your mailbox and you can pick up your package through them. I'm just wondering why, 3 days later, I still don't have a parcel card in my mailbox. But now I have a Canada Post tracking number so maybe they can help more.
Message 10 of 33
latest reply

If you have a tracking number your local post office will  be able to check for it even if you don't have a card.

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

That's why it said that the parcel went to someone other than the recipient...it went to Canada Post. Perhaps Fedex doesn't deliver door to door in that town? Hopefully the post office has the package at the front desk. If they don't, you may have to get something in writing from Fedex showing that they did not deliver directly to the address on the payment.

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

I am aware, I've ordered a ton of stuff online over the years. This was different than usual, so i found it suspicious. The delivery status is not my main concern. It's that no one seems to know where the package actually is at this point, along with the shadiness/silence of the seller. But now that I have a Canada Post tracking number hopefully they can help me figure it out.
Message 13 of 33
latest reply

@rammunitiondb92009 

When a parcel card is dropped off to pick up that parcel Government ID MUST be shown. They may not be getting the parcel signed for but that's the rule. I was in my local depot the other day. A person trying to pick up a parcel. Their ID did not match exactly so clerk would not release the package. It's possible the card went to a different address in error. Hopefully it should be still sitting at your depot for pickup.

-Lotz

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

I can't remember ever having to show ID to pick up a parcel, but maybe we're just too redneck here, haha. But in all seriousness, generally speaking, its a very high trust community. I know that technically doesn't mean anything as far as rules are concerned, but the honestly the only time I've ever had to show ID is when I have to do a box renewal every X number of years.
Message 15 of 33
latest reply

Another update today. I went in with my tracking number and the lady behind the counter verified that it was legitimate. But then when she went to the back to find the package she didn't have any luck. She took down my name and number and said she would see if she could track it down. I have my doubts that she will have any luck.

I also just noticed that the sellers feedback rating jumped up 10%. 100 down to 85 back up to 95. Still private though. Pretty weird so far. Oh well, I'm learning as I go I guess.
Message 16 of 33
latest reply

I had the same bloody problem with UPS. they give to a third-party if tis rural and 99 percent of the time they don't bother delivering it or did and kept it, to do whatever.

I would presume Fedex wouldn't hand it to CP.

but this diverted delivery might not fit my description.
Message 17 of 33
latest reply

Well I went to the post office again today, still no news about the package. I think at this point I'll have to start a claim about package not received. Does anyone know how I should go about doing that? The eBay page says DELIVERED, so if I open a claim about not receiving it, I'm assuming I'm going to need some proof that I didn't actually get the shipment. I just don't want to start a claim and then have some red tape screw me over. 

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

Go to the Resolution Centre and follow the directions.

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

alright, will do. thanks
Message 20 of 33
latest reply