Question for Afantiques or Someone Who Understands UK Post Office

This is a question for someone knowledgeable about the UK postal system.

I bought a $400 item from the UK which arrived damaged.

It was shipped insured and signed for.

I contacted the seller and sent photos and was told to return the item at my expense so that he could file a claim with the UK Post Office.

He told me that he would then repair the item and re-sell it.

He is telling me that this is his way of expediting the process of filing his claim for damages.

I believe that the cost to me would at least $40 for returning the damaged item.

Normally, returning an item negates a postal claim for damages but, according to this seller, the procedure is different in the UK.

This UK seller is telling me that in his country the way claims are filed is that the seller contacts the PO and forwards all relevant documentation.

The UK PO then contacts the Canadian PO.

The Canadian PO in turn contacts the buyer and requires that the item be returned directly to the seller at the buyer's expense.

Then, once the seller has the item back in hand, the UK Post Office refunds the seller and the seller is free to re-sell the item if he chooses to do so.

Is there any truth to that?

Sounds suspicious to me and like the seller is trying to manipulate me into being part of filing a claim with his PO that's all wrong.

The package arrived intact and very secure.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

"This UK seller is telling me that in his country the way claims are filed is that the seller contacts the PO and forwards all relevant documentation.

The UK PO then contacts the Canadian PO.

The Canadian PO in turn contacts the buyer and requires that the item be returned directly to the seller at the buyer's expense.

Then, once the seller has the item back in hand, the UK Post Office refunds the seller and the seller is free to re-sell the item if he chooses to do so."

Even if all true (it may be), it is NOT the way to do it to protect yourself.

File a claim with PayPal and follow their instructions to return the item....

.... unless the seller is willing to give you full refund (including shipping) at this time and you return the damaged item to him once you received the full refund in your PayPal account.

At the end of the day, it is a question of trust.  Why should you trust the seller without the protection of PayPal?

Best to let him trust you.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Sounds suspicious to me and like the seller is trying to manipulate me into being part of filing a claim with his PO that's all wrong.

It would be normal for the receiver to be part of the insurance case.

If the packaging was secure however, the PO was not at fault, the seller packaged your item poorly or it was damaged before sending.

That being said, I disagree that it is necessary to open a Paypal Dispute to clear up the transaction.

Do return the damaged item (with original packaging) to the seller. Use tracking/delivery confirmation. If the original payment, including postage was over $250 buy Signature Confirmation of Delivery as well.

The seller should be asked to refund both your original payment and the return postage when the parcel arrives. Especially if the PO did not damage the parcel (and they usually fess up and mark packages that got destroyed in the machinery.).

If the seller does not refund promptly, then you can start the PP dispute with your proof of delivery in hand. They will refund you and go after the seller for the money. PP will NOT refund your return postage, so go to the seller first.

And promptly means within the 45 day deadline. If you don't have a refund from the seller by Day 43, start the PP dispute.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I agree that it is not in my best interest to open a dispute just yet.

I would like to repair the item and keep it.  I think it could be repaired.

I am asking the seller to pay for the repair and once I open a case a return at my considerable expense is the most likely outcome.

I subtly suggested the repair approach, but the seller went straight to offering up some convoluted story about how returns are done in the UK.

To me it smells of someone trying to set himself up to have the item in hand and a check from the PO as well.

Right now I'm hoping someone familiar with the UK Post Office will shed some light on the seller's claims (see Post #1) which I'm pretty sure are a lot of Bee Detritus.

But he's just so determined to push that scenario even though it goes against everything I know about Postal Claims.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

"I contacted the seller and sent photos and was told to return the item at my expense so that he could file a claim with the UK Post Office."

In my opinion,once you send the item at your expense ,it would mean you have accepted the seller's  offer and conditions for reimbursement.I don't think you can then ask him to refund you the re-shipping expense.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I must confess that I have never made any sort of claim with Royal Mail, because all the faffing about was not a good way to spend my time. I'd rather just refund and go on to something profitable.

However, why not post the question on one of the UK ebay boards, such as seller central?  Bound to be a few people who have actually had this situation, and if you discount the obvious lunatics, you might be able to digest a sensible response or two.

Any ebay user can use any board in any country.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

The story from the seller sounds quite fishy to me but I fail to see how it really matters if it's true or not other than being able to tell him that he's full of it. The bottom line is that the seller is responsible for providing you for an item as it was described.  If it isn't, all the seller is required to do is refund you for the item and original shipping once he receives the item back.   It doesn't matter if the item is insured or not...he has to reimburse you. If the seller is willing, you can agree to a partial refund to get the item fixed but ebay can't force him to do that.

If you do decide that your only option is to send the item back, I would open a claim simply because the seller doesn't sound all that trustworthy. The least expensive way to send it back would be to use tracked packet as you don't need a signature confirmation for an item under $750 U.S.  If you want more than a $100 insurance you can purchase that through a third party.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Yes, most of that is true.

The way these thing go awry can leave one feeling caught in a wind storm.

Item arrived damaged but repairable.  There was no damage to the box and it was very well packed.

I emailed the seller with photos but it never occurred to me to return it or file an insurance claim.

That's when it took on a life of its own.

The seller messaged back that he had it insured and would file a claim and I just had to do A and then B would happen and that would lead to C............. and yadayadada.

At the heart of it and unspoken was the fact that I'd just have to put out a another $40-$60 for return shipping.  Not!

That's when I posted here.  Way too much doo-doo to digest.

Reigning it back in now.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

If there's no damage to the box that its unlikely that insurance would pay out anything as the item may have been damaged when it was shipped or just wasn't packed properly.

As far you filing an insurance claim...I doubt that you could do that since it is the seller who purchased the insurance.

I know that it is frustrating when something like this happens and the seller doesn't cooperate...I wouldn't be happy about it.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

No, you completely missed it. I never had any intention of filing an insurance claim. Not only does this package not qualify. I am the buyer. and as you correctly pointed out only the shipper can file the claim. The seller out of the blue started talking about filing an insurance claim and had some story about how they do that in the UK which ultimately would have ended up with him having a check from the PO as well as the item while I was out $50 plus or minus $10. He was so instant on his story about UK claims I posted here to ask afantiques if that's the way it's done. That's all.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply