Question to sellers about shipping times?

jdj53
Community Member

Is there a time limit to ship an item to a buyer? I purchased an item on January 7 through GSP, from U.S. to Canada, and it is still not showing as shipped or any tracking number. Does ebay or paypal notify the seller at some point that they need to ship the item? Or do I wait until after the last estimated delivery day to file a claim as not received?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Every seller is allowed to set their own handling time but it’s possible your seller shipped but forgot to update your purchase record.

Best to ask them: has this shipped?

What is your estimated date of delivery? You won’t be able to open a case for Item Not Received until it passes but you may be able to evoke buyer protection on PayPal before that.

Did the seller indicate they were on vacation? It’s the time of year many people escape for better weather. It would say on the listing.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Every seller is allowed to set their own handling time but it’s possible your seller shipped but forgot to update your purchase record.

Best to ask them: has this shipped?

What is your estimated date of delivery? You won’t be able to open a case for Item Not Received until it passes but you may be able to evoke buyer protection on PayPal before that.

Did the seller indicate they were on vacation? It’s the time of year many people escape for better weather. It would say on the listing.
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Spoiler

Estimated delivery Jan 16-Jan 22. Seller is in Louisiana. No mention of holidays, says will ship within three business days after receiving payment. I paid immediately after buying item. I would assume it being Global Shipping Program that they would have to include tracking?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Weird as it may sound, you may have run into a seller who has no idea that their listings may be set up with the Global Shipping Program or, at the very least, has no idea how it works.

The seller may be sitting on this sale hoping it will go away or that a magic wand will wave and give them insights.

I suggest getting in touch with the seller and being prepared to do some hand-holding or even massage.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I would assume it being Global Shipping Program that they would have to include tracking?

Yes, if your seller is using the GSP, they will absolutely have the tracking number applicable from when the parcel left their hands until it arrives in the Kentucky GSP Hub.

If you do write to them asking for that number, I see no reason why they would not share it with you. If they ignore your request or refuse to comply, you do have options when the time comes to grading the transaction/communication stars. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

It does seem weird. I have sent an email asking for the USPS tracking number to Erlanger. I also mentioned that he ships the item to Erlanger KY, not to me. Having never sold, I have no idea if ebay has sent him instructions on shipping or not? Never ran into this problem before. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

eBay will change your shipping address to this:

John Doe
OREA #123456789
Erlanger, KY

So the seller should in theory not have access to your actual shipping address.

It's like a VPN. You remain anonymous. Sorta. Well, not really. 50/50.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

That’s what I thought would happen. Shipping address to Erlanger, and then GSP kicks in to my address. I’m waiting for the sellers’s reply with a tracking number, or Jan 23 when I will file an item not received claim if I don’t have any tracking by then.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

So far no response from the seller, or a tracking number. Being I also paid extra for GSP, am I better to go through ebay buyer protection, or paypal, for item not received when the time comes?

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

The seller does have access to the buyer shipping address that's on files with ebay, but ebay makes it very clear not to ship to that address.

Ian

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@jdj53 wrote:

So far no response from the seller, or a tracking number. Being I also paid extra for GSP, am I better to go through ebay buyer protection, or paypal, for item not received when the time comes?

If it comes to that, I would say start with ebay and make note in the case that it was a purchase through the Global Shipping Program so you are easily refunded your import fees payment too. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Thanks momcqueen. I sent an email yesterday inquiring about the tracking number, and another this morning asking if the item had shipped. Have not had a reply to either. I presume he will still have to pay his seller fees even if he doesn’t ship and I have to use ebay buyer protection to recover my payments?
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@jdj53 wrote:
Thanks momcqueen. I sent an email yesterday inquiring about the tracking number, and another this morning asking if the item had shipped. Have not had a reply to either. I presume he will still have to pay his seller fees even if he doesn’t ship and I have to use ebay buyer protection to recover my payments?

If you open an item not received claim and the seller replies by refunding, they will get their ebay fees back. If they ignore you and you have to ask ebay to step in, they will not get their fees back and they will get an unresolved claim defect.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply